Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

We have had an observation made to our planning application from a neighbour.
    It says that because our bungalow is higher than their bungalow (0.5m difference in floor level) we are overlooking his bedrooms! :confused:
    The distance from our kitchen window to his nearest bedroom window is about 32 metres.
    He also has huge trees along his boundary which are about 14 metres away from our kitchen window.
    The neighbour is within their rights to object, but is the overlooking thing not just for two storey dwellings?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Paul4As wrote: »
    It says that because our bungalow is higher than their bungalow (0.5m difference in floor level) we are overlooking his bedrooms! :confused:
    The distance from our kitchen window to his nearest bedroom window is about 32 metres.
    He also has huge trees along his boundary which are about 14 metres away from our kitchen window.
    The neighbour is within their rights to object, but is the overlooking thing not just for two storey dwellings?
    This can often seem unfare, but this is your neighbours right. However most planners are not the most technical as regards reading dwgs.so send a thorough response with measurements on plan,photos and your clearest comments as above

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paul4As wrote: »
    From what you have described I'd just ignore it. Seems a bit vexatious

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Another observation which my neighbour has made to our planning application is to do with the access from my laneway to the main road.
    He has said that "there have been a number of accidents at this location in the recent past". He would "like that put on record".
    My wife's family have lived there for generations and are unaware of any accidents. :confused:
    The sightlines look OK...there is a hill, but there is presently another neighbour who comes out of the same laneway.
    Any advice?
    It would be our word against theirs regarding accidents.
    We are expecting the neighbour (who is close friends with this first neighbour) who uses our laneway to file an objection (not sure with regards the sighlines though) so we can not ask them for "support".

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Coga

I apologise in advance if i am wrong in posting my query here! :o

Looking for a bit of advice re councillors in cork county who may possibly be able to advocate on our behalf as regards our planning application. Can anyone recommend a good councillor who would be able to assist us? Would it be advisable to try and get a councillor on board when the application has been submitted or would this be viewed as a hinderance or should we wait until the expiry of the 8 week period to see what direction they planners are taking - possible request for further information and then attempt to get a councillor involved? Our proposed site is zoned A3, hence our apprehension about the local needs issue and the difficulty in this respect in being granted permission (partner currently lives in this area and has done so for over 8 years). Really would appreciate your opinions and guidance. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Coga wrote: »
    I apologise in advance if i am wrong in posting my query here! :o

Looking for a bit of advice re councillors in cork county who may possibly be able to advocate on our behalf as regards our planning application. Can anyone recommend a good councillor who would be able to assist us? Would it be advisable to try and get a councillor on board when the application has been submitted or would this be viewed as a hinderance or should we wait until the expiry of the 8 week period to see what direction they planners are taking - possible request for further information and then attempt to get a councillor involved? Our proposed site is zoned A3, hence our apprehension about the local needs issue and the difficulty in this respect in being granted permission (partner currently lives in this area and has done so for over 8 years). Really would appreciate your opinions and guidance. Thanks

By all means get your local Councillor, and tbh, contact your local TD. It's what they are paid to do if so requested. Fact.
    Only thing, up till recently anyway there was a stand off between the two, ie coco staff refused nationally to meet with elected officials, union s**t. May be sorted now, dont know.
    There really is not a lot they can do to "influence" a planner nowadays anyway. Basically Planner must decide "by the book":rolleyes: and most often an RFI is based on Technical issues and this is something no cllr/TD can offset with talking to planner.
    Re best cllr to get, one who is directly elected by your region as someone from the far end of the county has nothing to gain from doing you a favour.;)

1. I apologise in advance if i am wrong in posting my query here! :o
    2. Looking for a bit of advice re councillors in cork county who may possibly be able to advocate on our behalf as regards our planning application.
    3. Can anyone recommend a good councillor who would be able to assist us?
    4. Would it be advisable to try and get a councillor on board when the application has been submitted or would this be viewed as a hinderance or should we wait until the expiry of the 8 week period to see what direction they planners are taking - possible request for further information and then attempt to get a councillor involved?
    5. Our proposed site is zoned A3, hence our apprehension about the local needs issue and the difficulty in this respect in being granted permission (partner currently lives in this area and has done so for over 8 years). Really would appreciate your opinions and guidance. Thanks

you dont need a councillor, you need an architect or planning consultant and a clearly written letter to your local planner along with a map outlining the site, and your radius to it. followed by a phone call by your representative to that planner. you'll be told the story from there. A3 zoning is extremely difficult to get planning on unless you are practically the land holders son/daughter or with family & proof of address + the correct local need criteria within a very close distance.

1. Imho politics have no place in planning maybe try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=99 to discuss this further
    2. 'advocate' is an interesting word - what I would suggest you do - is submit the info outlined above and if the planner suggests that 'you need to provide more proof of rural housing need' perhaps due a perceived lack of connection to the community or something similar - i would ask the local priest, school teacher, and GAA manager for letters and leave it at that
    3. no, but try the link above - IMO this a risky tactic, unless its a last resort (and imho don't get your hopes up)
    4. imo and I deal with cork county regularly and have done for over ten years, any half decent arch will know whether the application is a runner, long before submission of a formal planning applicaiton - Nepotism is dead and gone, it's with Gormley in grave (although Hogans working on bring it back:D)
    5. when you say 'lives in the area' your partner had better be living within a Km and working 'in the area' also. (this is not set in stone but I recently had a couple with family within 4km and working within 2km - turned down at pre-pre-planning stage on the dev plan housing criteria)

the very best of luck to you. please excuse my tone above, ANY A3 zoned lands I've gotten planning for in Cork CoCo have been for farmers children, and I've seen some funny situations including where a cleint (in the boom times times) purchased 15+ acres (crazy money) in an attempt to be deemed a farmer only to be refused. my advice, get your architect to submit the required info to the planner and you'll have your answer within two weeks. if its not going to work, move on - life's too short ( its called 'planning and sustainable development' hence the reason the legislation is tough on planning in farmland zones) you might get useful info in http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/578944050.pdf also

rayjdav wrote: »
    By all means get your local Councillor, and tbh, contact your local TD. It's what they are paid to do if so requested. Fact.
    Only thing, up till recently anyway there was a stand off between the two, ie coco staff refused nationally to meet with elected officials, union s**t. May be sorted now, dont know.
    There really is not a lot they can do to "influence" a planner nowadays anyway. Basically Planner must decide "by the book":rolleyes: and most often an RFI is based on Technical issues and this is something no cllr/TD can offset with talking to planner.
    Re best cllr to get, one who is directly elected by your region as someone from the far end of the county has nothing to gain from doing you a favour.;)

Thanks rayjdav for your reply and imput. We are totally frustrated by the whole planning process to date ( second time round) and was hoping that if we managed to get a good councillor on board, it may possibly help us with the planning. Suppose no harm in approaching the councillor in our area in the interim, but by no means are we getting our hopes up. Thanks again.

We are totally frustrated by the whole planning process to date ( second time round)
    can you elaborate on this, what were the reasons for refusal?

as this is 'round 2', have you considered getting a planning consultant involved, I can recommend 2 highly regarded planning consultants in the Cork area (NO CONNECTION)

BryanF wrote: »
    [/LIST]you dont need a councillor, you need an architect or planning consultant and a clearly written letter to your local planner along with a map outlining the site, and your radius to it. followed by a phone call by your representative to that planner. you'll be told the story from there. A3 zoning is extremely difficult to get planning on unless you are practically the land holders son/daughter or with family & proof of address + the correct local need criteria within a very close distance.

1. Imho politics have no place in planning maybe try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=99 to discuss this further
    2. 'advocate' is an interesting word - what I would suggest you do - is submit the info outlined above and if the planner suggests that 'you need to provide more proof of rural housing need' perhaps due a perceived lack of connection to the community or something similar - i would ask the local priest, school teacher, and GAA manager for letters and leave it at that
    3. no, but try the link above - IMO this a risky tactic, unless its a last resort (and imho don't get your hopes up)
    4. imo and I deal with cork county regularly and have done for over ten years, any half decent arch will know whether the application is a runner, long before submission of a formal planning applicaiton - Nepotism is dead and gone, it's with Gormley in grave (although Hogans working on bring it back:D)
    5. when you say 'lives in the area' your partner had better be living within a Km and working 'in the area' also. (this is not set in stone but I recently had a couple with family within 4km and working within 2km - turned down at pre-pre-planning stage on the dev plan housing criteria)

the very best of luck to you. please excuse my tone above, ANY A3 zoned lands I've gotten planning for in Cork CoCo have been for farmers children, and I've seen some funny situations including where a cleint (in the boom times times) purchased 15+ acres (crazy money) in an attempt to be deemed a farmer only to be refused. my advice, get your architect to submit the required info to the planner and you'll have your answer within two weeks. if its not going to work, move on - life's too short ( its called 'planning and sustainable development' hence the reason the legislation is tough on planning in farmland zones) you might get useful info in http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/578944050.pdf also

Thanks BryanF for your reply also. I'm grateful for your guidance and wealth of knowledge.

We have submitted our planning application accompanied by a letter outlining our situtaion - living in the area for the past 8 years and submitted additional documentation in relation to proof of address. We have also submiited a map outling and illustrating the location of the site and the distance of our current residence which is less than a 1km. We are not the landowners nor do we have family in the area.

However we failed to mention that my partner is also technically working in the an establishment in our area on a part time basis......... :mad:. We are living a property owned by my partners family who do not live in the area. We've employed the services of a an architect who is a family member who has essentially designed our house plans. We were advised that a possible avenue to pursue was to contact a councillor who may possibly be able to assist us.

To say we are really disheartened by the planning process is an understatement. This is our second attempt as we were refused initially on the local needs issue( informed indirectly that the proposed dwelling and site were approved in theory). ByranF its easier said than done to move on - life long ambition to build our home;its a site we love within a good location, and within our remit finance wise - extremely affordable. Unfortately we are unable to, or have come across any other affordable sites that we would satisfy the planning criteria on.

Your tone is excused :)

Thanks again for your detailed and helpful reply.

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    can you elaborate on this, what were the reasons for refusal?

as this is 'round 2', have you considered getting a planning consultant involved, I can recommend 2 highly regarded planning consultants in the Cork area (NO CONNECTION)

The initial reasons for refusal were in relation to the local needs issue - not enough supporting documentation i believe. I have considered a planning consultant but the cost is a consideration and also my partner firmly believes that our architect(also family member) is sufficient. I would really apprecaite BryanF if your could PM me with your recommendations re planning consultants. Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GiveMeStrength

I'm new to posting on Boards and I apologise in advance if I am posting my query in the wrong place.

Anyhow here we go.

A neighbour wants to build a slatted shed just over a 100 meters from our house.

I know the exemptions under which he is entitled to begin construction. It will be under 200 sq Meters etc. I am also a farmer and our families have been neighbours for generations.

I also built a slatted shed back in 2008 but mine is 120 Meters back from the main road and not in line with anyone else's house.

Where he is proposing to build is in direct line with my parents house and the prevailing winds will mean that their house will always have all the smells, sounds etc coming right in their door.

There is a derelict cottage on his site about 60 meters back from the road and it would be a lovely site for a house. There is acres of land behind the cottage where he could build the slatted shed and keep it in line with my own.
    I approached him and asked him about the site, to which he immediately went on the defensive. Anyway to cut a long story short I asked him would he consider keeping it in line with my own. He refused citing that it would be too expensive to build a road into it and fill that would be needed etc.

I tried to explain about the folly of wasting a lovely site for one of his grandchildren sometime in the future but that seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I had been hoping to apply for planning permisson in the field right next door for my own family.

I really want to remain on good terms with my neighbours if at all possible, but as I said to him myself, there is no way I would just go ahead and begin construction of a slatted shed in the field next door to your house without at least talking to you about it first.

I'm not against progress and am only too happy to see someone progress with things but I do believe in been considerate to the other people who we share the countryside with.

If this all fails, which it is likely to do have I any rights at all ?

Thanks for reading, any advice will be really appreciated.

I'm new to posting on Boards and I apologise in advance if I am posting my query in the wrong place.

Anyhow here we go.

A neighbour wants to build a slatted shed just over a 100 meters from our house.

I know the exemptions under which he is entitled to begin construction. It will be under 200 sq Meters etc. I am also a farmer and our families have been neighbours for generations.

I also built a slatted shed back in 2008 but mine is 120 Meters back from the main road and not in line with anyone else's house.

Where he is proposing to build is in direct line with my parents house and the prevailing winds will mean that their house will always have all the smells, sounds etc coming right in their door.

There is a derelict cottage on his site about 60 meters back from the road and it would be a lovely site for a house. There is acres of land behind the cottage where he could build the slatted shed and keep it in line with my own.
    I approached him and asked him about the site, to which he immediately went on the defensive. Anyway to cut a long story short I asked him would he consider keeping it in line with my own. He refused citing that it would be too expensive to build a road into it and fill that would be needed etc.

I tried to explain about the folly of wasting a lovely site for one of his grandchildren sometime in the future but that seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I had been hoping to apply for planning permisson in the field right next door for my own family.

I really want to remain on good terms with my neighbours if at all possible, but as I said to him myself, there is no way I would just go ahead and begin construction of a slatted shed in the field next door to your house without at least talking to you about it first.

I'm not against progress and am only too happy to see someone progress with things but I do believe in been considerate to the other people who we share the countryside with.

If this all fails, which it is likely to do have I any rights at all ?

Thanks for reading, any advice will be really appreciated.

The areas stated under exemptions are accumulative so basically he must include all structures as built, and their respective gross areas must be less than the stated max.

If in any doubt get an AT/Arch out to site to have a look and they will tell you exactly what is the situation as it stands. Money well spent imho.

If he is doing everything by the book, as you say, there really is not a lot you can do to stop him if Planning is NOT required. Btw, if he is doing these works under the Nitrates Directive, make sure he is aware of his obligations to comply with the Dept. Of Ag. Building Standards, as if not complient there, he will not get a grant;);). Basically, if you have someone on your side feeding you the relevant correct info and regs, he may see sense, for a quiet life, and build elsewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GiveMeStrength

Thanks rayjdav

I had drawn up plans for a house with a local architect over the past months. I went to him over the weekend and explained what was going on and the urgency of it. He is to meet the planner for the area today (hopefully) for a pre planning meeting.

I'm really hoping that I can go ahead and apply for planning permission in the field right next door to this site for the shed. This is the only way I can see that I can have some sort of an impact on the location of the shed as then he will not be in compliance with the 100 meters exemption.

The only thing I am afraid of is that he can start construction in the mean time. It's a pity as we are neighbours. I am going to try one more time to see if I can resolve amicably.

Thanks for the response. My first response on Boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AMW_01

A developer has just requested planning for a 700+ sq m, 2-storey building next door to us - the new building will be 7.8 metres from our house (there will be a new 6m road and 1.8m footpath between us). There are lots of large windows on 'my' side of the new building - I presume this is close enough to classify as overlooking? (There are windows on the front and back to, which isn't an issue.)

When objecting to a planning application, is it better to hire a consultant on day 1 or you can wait until you appeal to An Bord Pleanala (assuming planning is granted)? I've had a look through posts here and couldn't quite see the question answered. This application is for the above large building and ~25 houses. I can see lots of potential issues myself but wondering if professional advice is the best way to go. What do most people do. And how much would I expect to pay?

It's in Longford, so if I need a consultant, feel free to pm me. Thanks!

When/If looking for consultants, what qualifications should I be looking for?

AMW_01 wrote: »
    A developer has just requested planning for a 700+ sq m, 2-storey building next door to us - the new building will be 7.8 metres from our house (there will be a new 6m road and 1.8m footpath between us). There are lots of large windows on 'my' side of the new building - I presume this is close enough to classify as overlooking? (There are windows on the front and back to, which isn't an issue.)

When objecting to a planning application, is it better to hire a consultant on day 1 or you can wait until you appeal to An Bord Pleanala (assuming planning is granted)? I've had a look through posts here and couldn't quite see the question answered. This application is for the above large building and ~25 houses. I can see lots of potential issues myself but wondering if professional advice is the best way to go. What do most people do. And how much would I expect to pay?

It's in Longford, so if I need a consultant, feel free to pm me. Thanks!

When/If looking for consultants, what qualifications should I be looking for?

If the application has just been submitted, you have 5 weeks to send in an observation to coco. If it is a large type development, I would most probably get an experienced local AT/Arch on board now to look over the documents submitted and draft a letter on your behalf. If you dont do it now, you cant do it on decision of the council to ABP.
    An AT/Arch will see more than you see and also include only technical issues, omitting what may be perceived as personal issues. If they deem it reasonable, they may request the coco to see clarification on things like daylight studies etc etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hi all, have a planning question that is probably easily answered, but i've no knowledge in the area so looking for some advice.

along the side of our property we have a high retaining wall as the common area on the other side is significantly higher than our site. the wall is over 10 feet tall along the section where the house is, and lower in front and back, the following picture probably describes it best
    sideofhouse.jpg

at a guess the gap between the house and the wall is 10 feet or so, maybe a little more. we're considering adding onto the side of the house at the back half of the house, to enlarge what is the smallest utility room ever built(barely enough room to have a washer.)

is there a limitation in how far out we could add on, is there a requirement for a size of gap between the building and the retaining wall?

thanks in advance

mossym wrote: »
    hi all, have a planning question that is probably easily answered, but i've no knowledge in the area so looking for some advice.

along the side of our property we have a high retaining wall as the common area on the other side is significantly higher than our site. the wall is over 10 feet tall along the section where the house is, and lower in front and back, the following picture probably describes it best
    sideofhouse.jpg

at a guess the gap between the house and the wall is 10 feet or so, maybe a little more. we're considering adding onto the side of the house at the back half of the house, to enlarge what is the smallest utility room ever built(barely enough room to have a washer.)

is there a limitation in how far out we could add on, is there a requirement for a size of gap between the building and the retaining wall?

thanks in advance
    Best to get a structural engineer on site to assess the retaining element- they will advise you and your arch on the possible solutions

Are you leaving access along the side to retain entry to the rear of the house?

cheers guys, the wall is a poured concrete with steel reinforcement all the way through, the ideal plan would be to not go as fas as that wall though. i have a full driveway on the other side of the house, not shown in the pic, so don't really need access on this side

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    cheers guys, the wall is a poured concrete with steel reinforcement all the way through, the ideal plan would be to not go as fas as that wall though. i have a full driveway on the other side of the house, not shown in the pic, so don't really need access on this side
    I doubt if you have close on 10' there but its difficult to say from just looking at a photo.

You will require planning permission for this unless its a shed so you will need to employ someone to prepare plans. Some planning authorities do have requirements as to the separating distance between wall of the extension and boundary.

As suggested by BryanF you should get a structural engineer to have a look and then design an appropriate foundation.

If you're retaining access down that side I'd suggest a minimum of 3'/1 metre approx

cheers, the picture is misleading as it is narrower at the front, if you look back where the bench is in the picture you can see the paving take a turn, so it's wider than it looks.

i knew as we were going on the side we would need planning, i guess before i went to the expense of paying a professional to come look at it that i would ask if there was any blatant laws that said what i was thinking of was completely un-doable, appreciate the advice on getting an engineer in, looks like that is the logical next step

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

My sister was granted planning permission (just five years old)to build a house in on a family site in Co.Galway.

However in the last year she has had to emigrate, and hasn't had the funds to start the build, as is the case for many people.

Anyhow, what we could gather from various sources(friends, people in the building trade, her initial planning agent).
    A time extension, up to a maximum of 5 years would be easily obtained. And so, not unduly panicked, I on her behalf when in to the Galway Coco planning office and told one of staff in there the story.

As expected, she confirmed that my sisters situation was far from unique and that there wouldn't be any problem in obtaining an extension(I doubt this lady was a planner, and the communication was oral not written).
    I filled the application forms paid the fee, and was told to expect a decision in the usual 8 weeks.

Well shockingly today in the post we received notice by Galway Coco to refuse an extension of time.
    The reasons set out are:

The applicate to date is not satisfying the planning authority in relation to 42-(1) (a)(ii)(II) & 42-(1) (a)(ii)(III) of the planning and development reg 2010.
    There have been significant changes in the development plan (Objective HL40 CDP 2009-2015) regarding flooding.

The development contribution was paid when planning was granted, water supply brought to the site, etc.
    I'm unsure what the first condition refers to, and why flooding has been mentioned, the site in certainly no prone to flooding.

I cant get a hold of the my sisters Agent, and really hope that someone here could kindly throw a bit of light on the situation.

The original five year planning period ended on the 23 of April last, but as extensions were commonly granted, we expected my sister would obtain one easily, especially given the fact that she has had to emigrate for a couple of years.
    I'm desperately afraid she wont be able to build a house on her site now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

a huge study into flood plans was done over the last 2-3 years post all the flood difficulties in dublin / cork and elsewhere under the previous environment minister.

Planning will not be allow on flood plains and it appears that your sisters site is within a flood plain. these flood plains are available for viewing at the councils offices.

if the original permission has expired, then there is no way of extending it.

and if there is a flooding issue with the site then its highly unlikely permission would be granted on it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I'm really baffled about the flooding issue as the site is at least 10 metres elevated above the somewhat adjacent nation road N18. It's pretty much the highest point in a large parish.

My worry, and argument, is that there was no reason to refuse an extension with in granted time period, but now an appeal will be made outside of the period?

I suppose it's all speculation until I speak to the Agent and Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 boxtysugarbulb

Hello - could someone tell me what regulations exist regarding how close a foul pumping station (with emergency storage tanks) can be situated to residential dwellings, neighbouring boundaries etc. Thanks.

Looking for a bit of clarity.

If a site is located in corks county development plan within the "rural housing control zone" what specific criteria is the applicant required to satisfy? I understand that the following apply:

- Residency/ former residency for 7 years or more
    - Housing Need

But are you also required to have : bloodline links to the area + local employment + agricultural activity????

Or would it suffice to be living and working in your local area for over 7 years with no ownership of a dwelling? Do you have to have family ties in the area and be involved in agriculture aswell.

County Development plan does not appear to be sufficiently clear on this point to obtain a definite and conclusive answer.

1. If a site is located in corks county development plan within the "rural housing control zone" what specific criteria is the applicant required to satisfy? I understand that the following apply:- Residency/ former residency for 7 years or more- Housing Need
    2. But are you also required to have : bloodline links to the area + local employment + agricultural activity????
    3. Or would it suffice to be living and working in your local area for over 7 years with no ownership of a dwelling? Do you have to have family ties in the area and be involved in agriculture aswell.
    4. County Development plan does not appear to be sufficiently clear on this point to obtain a definite and conclusive answer.
    1. yes, subject to zoning (what's the zoning? A1,2 or 3?) and site specifics (what's the site like:exposed, ribbon development etc).
    2. bloodline would help :D there is a reason its called the 'green belt' -this an attempt at trying to stop urban sprawl. planners interrupt the dev plan, and so its best if your arch/planning consultant presents your case to your local planner - several times in the last month, I've had enquiries from clients who have already done this and not gotten a clear indication/response (or a negative one) - if you are not getting a clear response - you have not offered the correct detail, so ask for what is required in your first contact, and then submit info as requested in the second. (if your not sure, get professional help)
    3. you say 'local area' - herein lies the issue, is this 200yards up the road or 4 miles? the reason the 'family ties' help is its a definite 'proven' connection to the area, and as we all know every farmers son/daughter in the country will of course use this angle to achieve planning even thought there probably commuting to a nearby town and are ruining this system for genuine cases.
    4. the reason the planners are vague is, dev plan is vague, the reason the dev plan is vague is because there is a certain benefit to it remaining vague (cough(councillors)), and unfortunately the legislation is vague...(this is very over simplistic view, just note where the planners are in the chain of command). the whole process is supposed to
      seek to create high quality places which :

Prioritise walking, cycling and public transport, and minimise the need to use cars;

Deliver a quality of life which residents and visitors are entitled to expect, in terms of amenity, safety and convenience;

Provide a good range of community and support facilities, where and when they are needed;

Present an attractive, well-maintained appearance, with a distinct sense of place and a quality public realm;

Are easy to access and to find one’s way around;

Promote the efficient use of land and energy and minimise greenhouse gas emissions;

Provide a mix of land uses to minimise transport demand;

Promote social integration and provide accommodation for a diverse range of household types and age groups; and

Enhance and protect the built and natural heritage.http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/906300758.pdfcan you walk to shop/pub, to work and if not, (and I appreciate we all want a green field for a back garden) why should you be allowed to build in this location, a green belt, in a rural housing control zone? have you ever seen the documentary 'the end of suburbia'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 boxtysugarbulb

Hello - could someone tell me what regulations exist regarding how close a foul pumping station (with emergency storage tanks) can be situated to residential dwellings, neighbouring boundaries etc. Thanks.

Anybody? A hint of where to look even. Ta! :)

• Advertisement

Anybody? A hint of where to look even. Ta! :)
    is this an existing system?

contact your local authority water section and ask to speak their engineer outlining your query/ ask what the requirements are. post them here when you know ta

Advertisement