Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 westsawake

Hi Guys

We want to buy a site in Munster and have two in mind.

First one had planning permission which has run out. the owner ( not from the locality ) tried to extend the planning but was refused, the Auctioneer has told us our next step would be to have a pre planning meeting with the planner to see if planning is possible on the site. Dis anyone know of what issues may arise from when the site already had planning. Also what info do we need to have for the planner.

Second one is in a green area. We have been told there is no planning allowed in a green area but there is actually a newly built 2story house beside the site

What is a green area. How does it affect planning.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 asprilla7

Looking for some help. looking to build house on my own land. the site is quiet small ,very close to town, it joins a house that has services. also the site is quiet close to a t junction , how would I go about finding out if the site is suitable and has a chance of getting planning. also there are trees ,maybe 15 yr old on the site , would this matter
    thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

asprilla7 wrote: »
    Looking for some help. looking to build house on my own land. the site is quiet small ,very close to town, it joins a house that has services. also the site is quiet close to a t junction , how would I go about finding out if the site is suitable and has a chance of getting planning. also there are trees ,maybe 15 yr old on the site , would this matter
    thanks
    employ an architect/planning consultant ;)

westsawake wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    1. Also what info do we need to have for the planner.
    2. What is a green area. How does it affect planning.

briefly
    1. email the planning number and location to the planner & complete this form in draft for discussion (or similar for your county) http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/697941896.pdf
    2. simply put - it makes getting planning difficult, its generally an area of natural beauty or under pressure from urban sprawl. that form above & the local development plan for the area will dictate the requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 13 asprilla7

good idea bryanf. thanks. know any good architects/planning consultants in the north tipp area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

i just opened up a new thread in construction and planning, i think i should have posted it here, concerning planning permission for a slated cow shed, mods please move it if i put it in the wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

Neighbour asserts new house will adversely impact the value /amenity of his home, is there any precedent or protocol to negotiate with him with a view to agreeing compensation? Imho his objection is not well grounded. This is a genuine question, and I hope this is the correct way and place to ask it. Mods pls move and advise as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

B9K9 wrote: »
    Neighbour asserts new house will adversely impact the value /amenity of his home, is there any precedent or protocol to negotiate with him with a view to agreeing compensation? Imho his objection is not well grounded. This is a genuine question, and I hope this is the correct way and place to ask it. Mods pls move and advise as needed.

Why? He is well within his rights to formally object or just make an observation at planning stage just as much as you can apply for the permission. The Council will decide, inline with county standards, what is presently appropriate and not your neighbour. You want to be held to ransom by someone your call but if me, tell him to go run and jump tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

No I don't want to bribe him if avoidable. I'm curious what his price is, and buying peace is IMO purely practical/economic consideration. I take it you don't literally recommend rudeness, not to say there will never be an opportune time...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

B9K9 wrote: »
    No I don't want to bribe him if avoidable. I'm curious what his price is, and buying peace is IMO purely practical/economic consideration. I take it you don't literally recommend rudeness, not to say there will never be an opportune time...

You could "buy" his peace, and still get refused planning permission. Deal with it when/if it arises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

My planning permission will lapse at end of next month ...can anyone tell me if it's hard to retain/extend ? Problem is i can't get a mortgage at the moment .
    What's the normal procedure to keep the planning for an extended period?
    Do i need an architect to apply for extended time on the planning permission ?

MaxyJazz wrote: »
    My planning permission will lapse at end of next month ...
    1. can anyone tell me if it's hard to retain/extend ?
    2. Problem is i can't get a mortgage at the moment .
    3. What's the normal procedure to keep the planning for an extended period?
    4. Do i need an architect to apply for extended time on the planning permission ?

1. no, not hard
    2. the planners understand these are the issues of the time - a 3 year extension (final extension) is generally granted
    3. contact your planning authority quickly - you need this sorted before your current planning lapses
    4. i think its just submitting a letter in required format including the particulars of previous grant - check the wording carefully with the planning authority and allow for plenty of time on their end, also send by registered post !
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64066811&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

BryanF wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    1. no, not hard
    2. the planners understand these are the issues of the time - a 3 year extension (final extension) is generally granted
    3. contact your planning authority quickly - you need this sorted before your current planning lapses
    4. i think its just submitting a letter in required format including the particulars of previous grant - check the wording carefully with the planning authority and allow for plenty of time on their end, also send by registered post !

Thank you so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Hello, don't often post in here :o

I am thinking of building a pole barn to house sheep for a few weeks of the year for lambing. I am wondering if I will need Planning Permission?

The CoCo website says:

TYPE 1
    A roofed structure housing cattle, sheep, goats, donkeys, horses, deer or rabbits, provided that its floor area does not exceed 200 square metres and that the total floor area of all such structures within the farmyard complex (or 100 metres of it) does not exceed 300 square metres; A roofed structure housing pigs, mink or poultry, provided that its floor area does not exeeed 75 square metres and that the total floor area of all such structures within the farmyard complex (or within 100 metres of it) does not exceed 100 square metres.

I would expect my pole shed to be less than 45'x45', which is less than the 200 square meter floor space.

Would there be any other reason for me to go looking for PP?

[/LIST]
    1. no, not hard

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057077430

This thread gives the particulars of the extension of time required and where it gives the legal requirements etc. needed to apply. It can be up to 5 years as a once off. Your LA will have their own forms that need completing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Hello, don't often post in here :o

I am thinking of building a pole barn to house sheep for a few weeks of the year for lambing. I am wondering if I will need Planning Permission?

The CoCo website says:

TYPE 1
    A roofed structure housing cattle, sheep, goats, donkeys, horses, deer or rabbits, provided that its floor area does not exceed 200 square metres and that the total floor area of all such structures within the farmyard complex (or 100 metres of it) does not exceed 300 square metres; A roofed structure housing pigs, mink or poultry, provided that its floor area does not exeeed 75 square metres and that the total floor area of all such structures within the farmyard complex (or within 100 metres of it) does not exceed 100 square metres.

I would expect my pole shed to be less than 45'x45', which is less than the 200 square meter floor space.

Would there be any other reason for me to go looking for PP?

Don't forget the other restrictions of that exemption:

2. The gross floor space of such structure together with any other such structures situated within the same farmyard complex or within 100 metres of that
    complex shall not exceed 300 square metres gross floor space in aggregate.

3. Effluent storage facilities adequate to serve the structure having regard to its size, use and location shall be constructed in line with Department of
    Agriculture, Food and Rural Development and Department of the Environment and Local Government requirements and shall have regard to the need to avoid water pollution.

4. No such structure shall be situated, and no effluent from such structure shall be stored, within 10 metres of any public road.

5. No such structure within 100 metres of any public road shall exceed 8 metres in height.

6. No such structure shall be situated, and no effluent from such structure shall be stored, within 100 metres of any house (other than the house of the person providing the structure) or other residential building or school, hospital, church or building used for public assembly, save with the consent in writing of the owner and, as may be appropriate, the occupier or person in charge thereof.

7. No unpainted metal sheeting shall be used for roofing or on the external finish of the structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Corkblowin wrote: »
    Don't forget the other restrictions of that exemption:

2. The gross floor space of such structure together with any other such structures situated within the same farmyard complex or within 100 metres of that
    complex shall not exceed 300 square metres gross floor space in aggregate.

3. Effluent storage facilities adequate to serve the structure having regard to its size, use and location shall be constructed in line with Department of
    Agriculture, Food and Rural Development and Department of the Environment and Local Government requirements and shall have regard to the need to avoid water pollution.

4. No such structure shall be situated, and no effluent from such structure shall be stored, within 10 metres of any public road.

5. No such structure within 100 metres of any public road shall exceed 8 metres in height.

6. No such structure shall be situated, and no effluent from such structure shall be stored, within 100 metres of any house (other than the house of the person providing the structure) or other residential building or school, hospital, church or building used for public assembly, save with the consent in writing of the owner and, as may be appropriate, the occupier or person in charge thereof.

7. No unpainted metal sheeting shall be used for roofing or on the external finish of the structure.

Yeah I saw them on a Teagasc document earlier on, shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

applied for permission to build a dormer bungalow on land belonging to the family, but kildare county council refused based on county development plan, as the site is close to a forest park.

is there any point in persisting with this or should we just look for another site?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purecuntish

applied for permission to build a dormer bungalow on land belonging to the family, but kildare county council refused based on county development plan, as the site is close to a forest park.

is there any point in persisting with this or should we just look for another site?

thanks in advance

Did the council highlight what part of the development plan they were refering to?Was'nt aware that there was such regulations in the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Father applied for planning for new parlour and cubicle house. It was rejected unless he can somehow make 80 metres of view at each side of the farm entrance. This is strange as there was no problem in 2007 when he got planning for a shed and has been using the entrance 35+ years. There reason is there will be lorries in and out and there isnt enough view so they want pillars which are there since first day to be knocked and ditch to be moved. My father agrees there isnt alot of view from the right as you leave the entrance but thinks this is a bit far and also when the road was resurfaced it was brought right in next to the ditch. So does there have to be 80 metres view each side of entrance? cheers

• Advertisement

case885 wrote: »
    Father applied for planning for new parlour and cubicle house. It was rejected unless he can somehow make 80 metres of view at each side of the farm entrance. This is strange as there was no problem in 2007 when he got planning for a shed and has been using the entrance 35+ years. There reason is there will be lorries in and out and there isnt enough view so they want pillars which are there since first day to be knocked and ditch to be moved. My father agrees there isnt alot of view from the right as you leave the entrance but thinks this is a bit far and also when the road was resurfaced it was brought right in next to the ditch. So does there have to be 80 metres view each side of entrance? cheers
    this is common - be prepared to knock the ditch until you get your sitelines as required 2.4m back from edge of the road - if this is not possible call the local engineer dealing with the case a discuss a compromise with him/her.

why isn't your planning consultant/arch/eng dealing with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

this is common - be prepared to knock the ditch until you get your sitelines as required 2.4m back from edge of the road - if this is not possible call the local engineer dealing with the case a discuss a compromise with him/her.

why isn't your planning consultant/arch/eng dealing with this?

and 30 year old trees too, he is and he was talking to my father about it apparently the engineer just passes to have a look in the car wouldnt actually know what its like going in and out

case885 wrote: »
    and 30 year old trees too, he is and he was talking to my father about it apparently the engineer just passes to have a look in the car wouldnt actually know what its like going in and out

Its basically the Council making sure that every development meets the same basic criteria, sightlines been the one in this instance.

If there was ever an incident of any type at the entrance, it leaves it open for someone to sue the council for not insisting that the Development Plan standards were imposed so basically they are covering their ass.

The 80m is taken usually as noted above, 2.4m, and in this instance 80m to the near edge of the carriageway from a sitting height of 1.05m above ground level. That's why usually you see roadside boundaries applied for with 900mm high capped wall.....

• Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

it would appear that council planning departments operate without any sort of logic.

my uncle was trying for years to get planning for a house... at one point he sat down with councillor and planner, went over the plans and it was agreed that if x, y and z were satisfied then he'd get a Yes upon his next application

it was refused!

Can someone explain how this system works? it seems incredibly shady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

What's shady about it? The planners report will detail why permission was refused.

it would appear that council planning departments operate without any sort of logic.

my uncle was trying for years to get planning for a house... at one point he sat down with councillor and planner, went over the plans and it was agreed that if x, y and z were satisfied then he'd get a Yes upon his next application

it was refused!

Can someone explain how this system works? it seems incredibly shady
    the only thing shaded here, was a Councillor at a planning meeting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

the only thing shaded here, was a Councillor at a planning meeting.

That's exactly what went through my mind too! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

hi all,

having being granted planning permission in offaly in may we were delighted,
    since then we had toyed with the idea of buying a house locally as the prices were fairly keen and we couldn't build for what it would cost us to buy, however having looked around there was nothing that suited us. so we have decided to build the house that we got planning for in may but the only problem is that one of the conditions on the grant is that we use solid timber construction windows:mad:
    The proposed house will be on a rural cul-de-sac with 6 other houses none of which have timber windows, the house is also quite elevated and will catch a lot of wind/weather considering its position. the price of timber windows even if i wanted them is prohibitive and the upkeep is something i wouldn't look forward to!! how hard is it to get this condition changed/reviewed/altered?

thanks in advance.

badger81 wrote: »
    how hard is it to get this condition changed/reviewed/altered?

thanks in advance.
    it depends on the condition, planner/local authority. best to get your architect to enter dialogue with the planner, state your case and see what happens.

in the scheme things when building a house - timber windows are not prohibitive imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

It is cost prohibitive, well from the quotes received so far

Advertisement