Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

folks,

Would you need planning permission for a GRP canopy to the front of the house, thinking something similar to the one seen on the right here.

grp canopy
    Thanks
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

RobAMerc wrote: »
    folks,

Would you need planning permission for a GRP canopy to the front of the house, thinking something similar to the one seen on the right here.

grp canopy
    Thanks
    Rob

To avoid any complications down the line - ask the county council.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

folks,

grp canopy
    Thanks
    Rob

My gut feeling is yes you would need planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

From what I've read anything to the front of the building except small porches (Class 7) require planning permission. Class 3 structures such as shades, awnings etc are only exempt if they are not at the front wall of the building

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What you have shown in that link would require planning permission (as it involves a sizable porch extension).

Maybe google again and clarify what you are looking for in terms of a canopy?

• Advertisement

thanks lads.
    My gut tells me yes too. I've too much other stuff going on at the moment to be bothered with planning we I'll give it a miss for now.

cheers

thanks lads.
    My gut tells me yes too. I've too much other stuff going on at the moment to be bothered with planning we I'll give it a miss for now.

cheers

Relatively cheap and simple process to get it approved tbh depending on where you are based.

kceire wrote: »
    Relatively cheap and simple process to get it approved tbh depending on where you are based.

really ? relative to what ?

We are in Dun Laoighre Rathdown. - its something we very much would like to get done but I presumed planning is a pain full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vwt

Hi guys,
    I'm just curious of opinions from people on here.We recently built an extension to the front of our house.We paid an architect to design the extension which we were very happy with and our planning application was successfull.Within two weeks of completion a neighbour has submitted an exact copy of our design via a different architect.The application also includes a photo of our house.Needless to say we were a bit peeved off with this as the neighbour in question didnt even ask could they use photos of our house etc.Where do we stand?,is this even allowed if it's a private property.
    Appreciate any feedback/opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

I dont think there is much you can personally do as regards same design. You dont own it, you had a licence to use someone else's design. However your architect could have a copyright case if its a clear copy and paste, if you want to point it out to them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

overshoot wrote: »
    I dont think there is much you can personally do as regards same design. You dont own it, you had a licence to use someone else's design. However your architect could have a copyright case if its a clear copy and paste, if you want to point it out to them.

Agreed, if its a carbon copy of the design or something very similar, there may be copy right infringement. However, you'd want to find out if your architect gave permission in the first instance.

Regarding the photo of your house, this is a non issue as its viewable from a public road so a photo of that view is perfectly acceptable.

Thanks for the replies.Yeh we kinda has the feeling there wasn't a lot we can do.It is a carbon copy of the design and I did inform the architect.He basically said that copyright infringement relating to architects designs would be very hard to prove and not worth the effort.I just wanted people's personal opinions on what they would do.Its just annoying especially when the person in question is not even resident in the house and is just doing it for financial gain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

vwt wrote: »
    .I just wanted people's personal opinions on what they would do.
    Why not post a picture here, so we can form a personal opinion on what we would do.

BryanF wrote: »
    Why not post a picture here, so we can form a personal opinion on what we would do.

We wanted to stay anonymous in case our neighbours or there architects frequent the boards.The design and the style of house is quite unique and would be easily identified.The last thing we wanted was to cause a rift or come across as difficult-this is why I was asking other people how they would feel/react

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Hi all,

We have full PP for a 35 x 80 site on our home farm, (so land availability is not an issue)
    after setting out the house, 35 looks narrow
    Is there any way we can increase the width to 40?
    can we temporarily fence the site at 35 x 80, and when house is finished/mortgage drawn/paperwork finished, can we push out the boundary from 35 to 40?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I'd be pretty sure that there should be no issue, from a PP point of view, increasing the site size (different matter reducing it).

For planning 'sign off' it may be better to build house on site as per the planning docs and then extend site after, as you suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Either apply to increase the site boundaries now, can continue to build the house etc. as the increase in site size has no impact on this or apply for retention when the site is in place. Shouldn't be a problem either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

I stand to be corrected here but you don't need retention to increase the site size.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just looking for a quick answer to a question. If I have been granted permission but with conditions, can I apply for permission again with an amended plan to try and avoid having to apply the conditions?

Effects wrote: »
    Just looking for a quick answer to a question. If I have been granted permission but with conditions, can I apply for permission again with an amended plan to try and avoid having to apply the conditions?

Quick answer...yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Quick answer...yes.

Thanks for the reply. We've been granted permission for a mews but they stipulate a 2m set back on the ground floor. That leaves us with 10 sqm less on the floor with the bedrooms. Which is a lot given it's a 50 sqm footprint and leaves the first floor overhanging the bedroom windows by 3m.
    A neighbour is probably going to appeal to ABP so might have to go that route first.

Changes to part v and to contributions which from first reading appears to have immediate effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Belini

Hi
    Just looking for some advice on planning? We currently live in a semi detached house and are planning a small ground floor extension which is within planning limits. We are also looking at possible extending one of our upstairs bedrooms . This will require planning. We have a small back garden which faces the side of our neighbours house, we don't know these neighbours as they live on a different road. Our garden is very small and hence the need for planning as it is quite close to their house albeit it the side of their house. They have a small side window into their kitchen which I see as the main stumbling block for us getting planning I.e it could be viewed as overlooking their kitchen even though we would not see much given the size and location of the window. There are also bushes on our side which conceal the view into their window .
    Our architect has advised us to call to all neighbours to get a sense of their thoughts before applying for planning. Our builder is telling us not to bother calling to them as this would only encourage them to object and says they won't see the sign post out the front of our garden .
    I am not sure what the best course of action is. We have no relationship with them but of all our neighbours they would be most likely to object.
    Advice would be welcomed, we don't want to spend money on a planning application that is doomed from the start!

Apply for planning and let the LA make the decision. That's what I would do.

Speak to your neighbours
    Belini wrote: »
    Hi
    Just looking for some advice on planning? We currently live in a semi detached house and are planning a small ground floor extension which is within planning limits. We are also looking at possible extending one of our upstairs bedrooms . This will require planning. We have a small back garden which faces the side of our neighbours house, we don't know these neighbours as they live on a different road. Our garden is very small and hence the need for planning as it is quite close to their house albeit it the side of their house. They have a small side window into their kitchen which I see as the main stumbling block for us getting planning I.e it could be viewed as overlooking their kitchen even though we would not see much given the size and location of the window. There are also bushes on our side which conceal the view into their window .
    Our architect has advised us to call to all neighbours to get a sense of their thoughts before applying for planning. Our builder is telling us not to bother calling to them as this would only encourage them to object and says they won't see the sign post out the front of our garden .
    I am not sure what the best course of action is. We have no relationship with them but of all our neighbours they would be most likely to object.
    Advice would be welcomed, we don't want to spend money on a planning application that is doomed from the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

We have an appeal in with ABP at the moment. Do they generally take the full 4 months to make their decision? Is there any way of finding out what the status is, or when a decision is likely to be made?
    Cheers

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    We have an appeal in with ABP at the moment. Do they generally take the full 4 months to make their decision? Is there any way of finding out what the status is, or when a decision is likely to be made?
    Cheers

They will have a decision due date for your one on their website.

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Cheers

They generally take the full allowable time.
    Give them a call, as stated above the due date will be up in their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

BryanF wrote: »
    They generally take the full allowable time.
    Give them a call, as stated above the due date will be up in their website.

Cheers. I already have the due date .. just wondering if its likely we'd get a decision before then. Its such a long, frustrating process!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

If they could they'd leave it longer just like the councils. I've yet to ever see a planning decision be it a refusal or grant given before the due date.

Advertisement