Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helicopter over Howth Rd @ midnight ?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭

I was woken up just after midnight by a helicopter hovering overhead for what seemed like 10 mins ... damn thing was jinking up from the Howth Rd to the Tonlegee Rd and back again, before shooting off away from the coast.

have the Gardai access to a helicopter ? :confused: what where they after ?

damn thing was flying so low .. felt like I was in the 'Nam

Any one else see/hear this ? Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The gardai have a chopper alright. Kinda well known i would have thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Gardai have had the Chopper for years. Helps ground units find your local criminals. Trout dude where have you been all this time hehe Being a Northsider would have tought you would be used to the noisy chopper the Gardai have.

PS I am a northsider b4 anyone gives out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

trout wrote:
    I was woken up just after midnight by a helicopter hovering overhead for what seemed like 10 mins ... damn thing was jinking up from the Howth Rd to the Tonlegee Rd and back again, before shooting off away from the coast.

damn thing was flying so low .. felt like I was in the 'Nam

Any one else see/hear this ? Any ideas ?

Are you serious?
    If you lived where I do you'd experience this all the time.
    They've kept me awake on numerous occasions hovering nearby and even shone the spot on me in my housecoat out the back garden with the cat, for the crack I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I was woken up on Sunday morning by a massive sea rescue helicopter that seemed to be on it's way to Beaumont hospital... man was that thing noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

It's always hovering over the "classy" estates of limerick as well. Not as much in recent times though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hovering over edenmore at the moment, pretty low and very noisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I have some friends in Clontarf and I seem to hear it pretty often when I'm up there.

I take it the helicopter is used as a "Do you realize we're onto you?" technique as opposed to something that's intended to be undercover or effective in catching some criminal operation at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I must be a heavy sleeper ... everyone I've spoken to this morning has told me that this is a regular thing. I've lived in this area for 30 years and never saw/heard a real live helicopter.

Driving in this morning what do I see flying over Clontarf towards the city ? Dat's right, another helicopter ... this one was red/white and looked like it could carry several passengers, like a minibus of the skies.
    InFront wrote:
    I take it the helicopter is used as a "Do you realize we're onto you?" technique as opposed to something that's intended to be undercover or effective in catching some criminal operation at work?

trust me ... that yoke last night wasn't sneaking up on anyone, it was flying so low I thought it was Judgement day. :) if it was the Polis ... they were sending someone a message.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The Gardai got there first copter in 1997(Squirrel), and a second in 2001(Eurocopter).
    trout wrote:
    Driving in this morning what do I flying over Clontarf towards the city ? Dat's right, another helicopter ... this one was red/white and looked like it could carry several passengers, like a minibus of the skies.
    That sounds like coastguard search and rescue, same as the pic below
    CoastguardDay2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

That's the type I saw on Sunday afternoon. It landed on the helipad at Beaumont hospital. They must be using it as a type of air ambulance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

trout wrote:

Ah yeah - they had to get a helicopter in after that whistle thing on Craggy Island.

"Go! Go! Go!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

That big sea rescue helicopter does multiple flybys over beaumont every few weeks, probably training or something, they seem to just circle the area around the hospital for a few minutes, tehn feck off somewhere else

Advertisement