Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband connection drops

Options
  • 19-04-2007 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi i hope someone can help. I got eircom broadband installed today, the 2mb connection. In general everything seems to be working ok - i dont get the full full 2mb, its more like 1.5mb, but im fine with that considering i am a relatively long way from the exchange

My problem. This happens on my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop which is connected to the netopia modem/wirelessly. For some reason, the connection keeps dropping. What i mean is that the connection stops/fails for a about 10 seconds and then everything is back to normal after that. It happens very often and obviously is very annoying.

Anyone got any idea why its happening........ if you need more info about my setup just let me know...

I had the laptop connected wirelessly to my clearwire modem through a router and it was fine - so i dont think its a laptop problem.....

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi i hope someone can help. I got eircom broadband installed today, the 2mb connection. In general everything seems to be working ok - i dont get the full full 2mb, its more like 1.5mb, but im fine with that considering i am a relatively long way from the exchange

My problem. This happens on my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop which is connected to the netopia modem/wirelessly. For some reason, the connection keeps dropping. What i mean is that the connection stops/fails for a about 10 seconds and then everything is back to normal after that. It happens very often and obviously is very annoying.

Anyone got any idea why its happening........ if you need more info about my setup just let me know...

I had the laptop connected wirelessly to my clearwire modem through a router and it was fine - so i dont think its a laptop problem.....

Unfortunately these are symptoms of poor line quality (incl distance from the exchange) your line may not be up to taking the 2Mb and in iffy situations like this it is probably better to start with the slowest possible speed and see how that behaves - each step up in speed puts a lot of strain on the line.

Your basic line stats should be available on the set up page of the netopia in the form xx/yy.

Have a read of these for further information:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dub45 wrote:
    Unfortunately these are symptoms of poor line quality (incl distance from the exchange) your line may not be up to taking the 2Mb and in iffy situations like this it is probably better to start with the slowest possible speed and see how that behaves - each step up in speed puts a lot of strain on the line.

Your basic line stats should be available on the set up page of the netopia in the form xx/yy.

Have a read of these for further information:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
    I think he means the wireless connection between the router and the laptop keeps dropping, not the DSL connection.
    OP, these modems are known to overheat and freeze up so make sure that it's in a cool spot where air can circulate. There is also a firmware upgrade available for it which may help. I'll dig out the link and post later.

Did you try using an ethernet cable instead of wireless? Does the same thing happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

yes the firmware needed upgrading so i did that, still not sure if it fixed the problem however. I will try it out today through wireless and ethernet cable and hopefully everything will be ok.....

What kind of ping time shoud i be getting? - i have done a few tests and it has been as low as 15 and as high as 60.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

it depends to what your pinging to.
    you could ping to the eircom network and get 3 or 4 ms or ping google in the us and get 90 or so ms.

when you lose connectivity does windows tell you that wireless connection has been lost or does the wireless icon in the task bar go dull with a red x through it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

no surprisingly i dont get a message telling me the connection is lost and nothing goes red, it just seems to go dead for a few seconds and then comes back as normal. In general im very happy with it, just this problem is puzzling me.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 duckyface

Did anyone get an answer for this? It keeps happening to me too. When connected with the ethernet cable all is fine, no problems. But when using wireless it keeps going momentarily - no red x thru the wireless icon. It just disappears for a few seconds. It happened more often yesterday but the eircom support guy made me change some 'channel' from 7 to 11. He said it'd increase the frequency at which the signal is sent... it actually helped. But should I increase it higher than 11??

Advertisement