Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't buy a Nokia N95 to use with Three!!!!

• 19-04-2007 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭

I just received my sim-free N95. I signed up with 3 billpay a couple of days ago so that I could get mobile broadband. I got a nokia 6280 with that and all worked fine.

So I swapped my three sim into the nokia N95. Sim registration failed. WTF??? It briefly saw three and then failed. Tried a meteor sim in it and that worked perfectly albeit in 2G. I checked the connection settings are dual-mode and that's fine.

So I ring up Three customer support and ask what is the story.

"Sorry sir, part of the terms and conditions are that you cannot use your three sim with any other handset".

How is anyone else managing to get the N95 working with theirThree sim - or is this a new condition?

Just as well they have a 14 day money back guarantee. Now it looks like I'll have to do without mobile broadband and HSDPA and go with voda or O2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

It would seem that its not just three who dont like how " smart " the N95 is ,
    Have a look at this , some operators are actually hobbling the N95 to protect revenue !

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/18/n95_crippled/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mathias wrote:
    It would seem that its not just three who dont like how " smart " the N95 is ,
    Have a look at this , some operators are actually hobbling the N95 to protect revenue !

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/18/n95_crippled/

That I can understand but to prevent your sim being used in another handset? As I didn't take insurance out with the Three mobile that would mean that if anything happened to it then I'd end up having to pay out the remainder of the contract without having any phone! Simply incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I just received my sim-free N95. I signed up with 3 billpay a couple of days ago so that I could get mobile broadband. I got a nokia 6280 with that and all worked fine.

So I swapped my three sim into the nokia N95. Sim registration failed. WTF??? It briefly saw three and then failed. Tried a meteor sim in it and that worked perfectly albeit in 2G. I checked the connection settings are dual-mode and that's fine.

"Sorry sir, part of the terms and conditions are that you cannot use your three sim with any other handset".

How is anyone else managing to get the N95 working with theirThree sim - or is this a new condition?

Just as well they have a 14 day money back guarantee. Now it looks like I'll have to do without mobile broadband and HSDPA and go with voda or O2.
    they say that but they don't actually stop you. i've used my 3 sim in a few handsets besides my own. its like how using your phone as a modem is against the terms and conditions but i did it yesterday. registration probably failed for some other reason

but it could be something specifically to do with the n95. i'll root around a bit and see what i can find

That I can understand but to prevent your sim being used in another handset? As I didn't take insurance out with the Three mobile that would mean that if anything happened to it then I'd end up having to pay out the remainder of the contract without having any phone! Simply incredible.
    not quite. if you lose your phone you can get a new one for €50 but you have to extend your contract back to 12 months. not great i know.

and of course they don't actually stop you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

would branding/flashing the n95 with 3 firmware fix this ?

• Advertisement

( . )( . ) wrote:
    would branding/flashing the n95 with 3 firmware fix this ?
    you shouldn't have to. i've used my sim in non 3 branded phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

hmmmmmmmm,

i think the problem jimmycrackcorm is having is similar to what meteor done a few years ago.

they sold phones with sims that could only allow you to use together, ie you buy a nokia 3100 for €80 and you got €80 credit, you couldn't use that sim card in anyother phone (Sim registration failed) until all the credit was used up.

cause ppl (me) where buying them, unlocking them, selling the phone and keeping the credit.

they say that but they don't actually stop you. i've used my 3 sim in a few handsets besides my own. its like how using your phone as a modem is against the terms and conditions but i did it yesterday. registration probably failed for some other reason

but it could be something specifically to do with the n95. i'll root around a bit and see what i can find

This is what I can't understand. How is it that some people manage to use their sims in other phones but I can't. Perhaps older sims or people who have been on contract more than twelve months are ok.

The data tarriffs on Vodafone are crap in comparison and I don't see what O2 are doing with 3G. And that's before we even mention HSDPA...

( . )( . ) wrote:
    hmmmmmmmm,

i think the problem jimmycrackcorm is having is similar to what meteor done a few years ago.

they sold phones with sims that could only allow you to use together, ie you buy a nokia 3100 for €80 and you got €80 credit, you couldn't use that sim card in anyother phone (Sim registration failed) until all the credit was used up.

cause ppl (me) where buying them, unlocking them, selling the phone and keeping the credit.

I took the billpay option so I'd be under contract for a year anyway. Unless the subsidy is greater than the minimum bill pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

My 3 broadband SIM is working absolutely peachy in my 1 week old N95; cannot for the life of me figure out what problem you have.

(so do my 3UK SIMs, O2 IRL, Voodoo IRL, Meteor, BreizhMobile, SFR and so on....even my Orange UK can use its Line 2).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Actually, I wonder if this is because you are using a SIM that came with the Datacard, while the OP was using a SIM that came with a previous 3 handset. Would there be a difference here?

I'm wondering whether I'll just get the datacard now from 3, or a new phone (perhaps N95 whenever it appears from 3) with the 3 SIM in it. I'd browse mostly on the handset on the go, but abroad I'd like to use it (like yourself) as a BT modem for my laptop. :)

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I can confirm with Culabula, my shiny new N95 works perfectly with my 3 sim card, no problems what so ever

I can confirm with Culabula, my shiny new N95 works perfectly with my 3 sim card, no problems what so ever

Bet mine is shinier than yours!

eko wrote:
    Actually, I wonder if this is because you are using a SIM that came with the Datacard, while the OP was using a SIM that came with a previous 3 handset. Would there be a difference here?

I'm wondering whether I'll just get the datacard now from 3, or a new phone (perhaps N95 whenever it appears from 3) with the 3 SIM in it. I'd browse mostly on the handset on the go, but abroad I'd like to use it (like yourself) as a BT modem for my laptop. :)

Cheers!

But I am also using mine with a 3UK SIM occasionally, with a data add-on in the shape of X-series. Works too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

jimmycrackcorm, sounds to me like 3 did not provision your account correctly. Considering how amateur they are, good luck trying to get them to fix it.

phoenix2181 and culabula - are you guys long time Three customers? Are both of you using data card sims? What happens with calls using datacards or are they possible?

My N95 works with my meteor sim ok but that's 2G only. Perhaps it has something to do with being a new customer and the terms and conditions have changed recently.
    jimmycrackcorm, sounds to me like 3 did not provision your account correctly. Considering how amateur they are, good luck trying to get them to fix it.

Three Support India flatly told me that it was the terms and conditions to not allow non-three handsets.

I have been a datacard customer since January after the debacle with Vodafone.

My spend is exactly 39,99€ a month, except for this month which is 28 owing to a rebate. In my experience 3 have been excellent in dealing with quibbles and have refunded overspends immediately.

As I posted yesterday, I can make and take calls or send SMS while connected online at 3G or HSDPA speeds.

I only wish the Nokia would display some sort of icon when you are connected to an HSDPA cell.

"Three Support India flatly told me that it was the terms and conditions to not allow non-three handsets"

As I personally am using no less than four previously network-locked non-three handsets with my 3IRL SIM,with no apparent problems, I put it to you that Three India are talking out of their posteriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Another N95 owner using 3 over here! everything works fine (including the €19.99 "unlimited" broadband add-on), except that it's been almost a week and my old number still has not been ported, but that's got nothing to do with the handset.

I got a free N70 from them when I signed up which means I've gone from owning no N series phones to owning two in the space of a month :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Three Support India flatly told me that it was the terms and conditions to not allow non-three handsets.

well..they would say that.... my experiences with thrinda have been pretty bad in comparison to 3 Glasgow lately.
    they flatly told me my minutes could not be used for video calls even though I explained that they've been included on my last 3 bills at least... after a few minutes they got back and apologised....total volte face..

They'll get it together in due course (I hope!) but I wouldn't take their "flat out declarations" as gospel.

I've been with three since Irish launch and have been using my 3sim in an o2XDA for the past 2 months with no problems. I've swapped it out into a fair few devices over that period of time with no issues..

• Advertisement

MrB wrote:
    Another N95 owner using 3 over here! everything works fine (including the €19.99 "unlimited" broadband add-on), except that it's been almost a week and my old number still has not been ported, but that's got nothing to do with the handset.

I got a free N70 from them when I signed up which means I've gone from owning no N series phones to owning two in the space of a month :D

Have you just signed up and if so is it a billpay or a prepay?

culabula wrote:
    I have been a datacard customer since January after the debacle with Vodafone.

My spend is exactly 39,99€ a month, except for this month which is 28 owing to a rebate. In my experience 3 have been excellent in dealing with quibbles and have refunded overspends immediately.

As I posted yesterday, I can make and take calls or send SMS while connected online at 3G or HSDPA speeds.

I only wish the Nokia would display some sort of icon when you are connected to an HSDPA cell.

Wth the datacard then you don't get any package of minutes and texts?

Wth the datacard then you don't get any package of minutes and texts?
    they don't supply you with a phone. the sim card is only meant for use in the datacard

I wonder what would happen if I took back the 6280 and got a prepay phone and stuck the sim in my nokia N95 before activating it on the prepay phone. Would it link the n95 imei to the sim instead of the prepay phone?

Might try that.

Have you just signed up and if so is it a billpay or a prepay?
    Last Saturday and I'm on Billpay.

MrB wrote:
    Last Saturday and I'm on Billpay.

Did you put the sim in the N95 first or the N70?

Did you put the sim in the N95 first or the N70?
    I put it into the N70 first so I could note the settings I'd need to change on the N95. Turned out to be a waste of time as the sim came with all the settings anyway!

MrB wrote:
    I put it into the N70 first so I could note the settings I'd need to change on the N95. Turned out to be a waste of time as the sim came with all the settings anyway!

three.ie don't list the N70 - so how did you get one?

three.ie don't list the N70 - so how did you get one?
    I walked into a 3 shop and asked them what handsets where free on Billpay.

• Advertisement

I'm going to try getting a prepay and suck that and failing that I might go into a three shop and ask for the same.

Threindia insist you are a liar.

Advertisement