Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't buy a Nokia N95 to use with Three!!!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Update...

I went into Xtravision and bought a 3pay K610i. I put that three sim into my N95 and hey presto - it works!. Happy days - now to go get some credit to unlimited broadband... I think from looking at three.ie that 3pre-pay has slightly different conditions from a contract.

This probably suits much better because on Meteor contract I wasn't using all my minutes - and if O2 or vodafone bring out a better data deal I'll be able to move to that. The only annoying thing now is that there is no online facility with three to buy credit with a credit card.

The N95 is phenominal and now the mobile broadband is the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Update...

I went into Xtravision and bought a 3pay K610i. I put that three sim into my N95 and hey presto - it works!. Happy days - now to go get some credit to unlimited broadband... I think from looking at three.ie that 3pre-pay has slightly different conditions from a contract.

This probably suits much better because on Meteor contract I wasn't using all my minutes - and if O2 or vodafone bring out a better data deal I'll be able to move to that. The only annoying thing now is that there is no online facility with three to buy credit with a credit card.

The N95 is phenominal and now the mobile broadband is the icing on the cake.

Do all the normal 3 services work? Things like Planet3 (for footy videos, music,news, etc..) or MSN Messenger and anything else??

Dave6195 wrote:
    Do all the normal 3 services work? Things like Planet3 (for footy videos, music,news, etc..) or MSN Messenger and anything else??

I set the homepage to the Three page so it operates exactly like a three - branded phone. Now I have to get around that stupid Age verification. It indicates that having a credit card is sufficent but then insist that you have to go to a three store. I hope Xtravision will do otherwise it is going to be apain in the arse.

For all the goodies that three have going, that an no online credit card 3pay topups are pretty backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I set the homepage to the Three page so it operates exactly like a three - branded phone. Now I have to get around that stupid Age verification. It indicates that having a credit card is sufficent but then insist that you have to go to a three store. I hope Xtravision will do otherwise it is going to be apain in the arse.

For all the goodies that three have going, that an no online credit card 3pay topups are pretty backwards.
    xtravision won't. you have to go to a 3store unfortunately

Whats the age verification for? Would it matter that you are using an N95?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

You can only use the walled garden until you verify your age

So would having an N95 affect this?:confused:

Edit: Sorry to ask again, its just I would have no problem with my age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

^ Yes, if you are seen to be sporting a brand new Nokia N95, which is not a 3 handset, you will be immediately carted off to phone prison...

Your funny:rolleyes::p

One minor niggle now is that if I try to download any of the games on the three home page, it insists that they don't work on my handset. I think they have my number linked to the SE handset I bought.

The billbay version of My3 has an option to change the handset and even includes the N95 as an option, however this is missing on the 3pay.

Also I thought you could add the extra text message add-ons for 3pay buy they don't appear anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

jimmycrackcorm, did you get the age verification sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Have just for the laff noticed that 3 is censoring the websites that people can visit. I'm billpay, and am not in their walled garden.

For example, try and visit playboy.com you egt a message saying the site is not available or some such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

testicle wrote:
    Have just for the laff noticed that 3 is censoring the websites that people can visit. I'm billpay, and am not in their walled garden.

For example, try and visit playboy.com you egt a message saying the site is not available or some such.

why would you be on that site, you dirty fecker :)

jimmycrackcorm, did you get the age verification sorted?

Yes, but it seems that 3Pay mobile broadband is greatly restricted compared to billpay. Everything goes through threes proxy and that seems to breakdown regularly and is very slow for the most part. It won't allow streaming from non-three sites and the proxy messes up a lot of sites. Java programs such as Gmail client nor anything that requires a data connection will not work. The unlimited broadband is a con as such and can only be marketed as unlimited because you can only do basic surfing and could never surf that much in a month.

It's frustrating as the three services work well and their google search results works as fast and as well as you'd expect - but once you actually go to a site then they seem to do their best to cripple that. They clearly have the potential to deliver it but don't want to.

A new billpay sim won't work in a non-three phone so that's no help...

we should all write individually to 3 - a load of individual complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

testicle wrote:

Just tried playboy.com and it works fine. Only went as far as the front page though, I'm in work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

MrB wrote:
    Just tried playboy.com and it works fine. Only went as far as the front page though, I'm in work :D

Nope, blocked here!

It's an "Internet powered by Yahoo!" message telling me that "this web page is unavailable to view"

The same message also appears for any *ahem* unsavoury websites that one tries to look at, purely for research purposes of course - to see what one can see, if one really wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

You can usually still get to them using google rather than yahoo, but still many sites like that are restricted. My research led my to the wrong conclusion that this was only an issue with prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Tried visiting playboy.com by searching for it in yahoo, it worked fine. Odly though when I searched for "playboy" I got no results back! had to search for "playboy.com".
    I'd say call three and find out why they are blocking sites on your phone, maybe they have age verification active on your account by mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Looks like we wont have to worry about the N95 on the 3 network. Was just talking to some one in the store and he said that it failed testing.The next nokia phones they get will be the nokia n93 and e65.

• Advertisement

foobar wrote:
    Looks like we wont have to worry about the N95 on the 3 network. Was just talking to some one in the store and he said that it failed testing.The next nokia phones they get will be the nokia n93 and e65.

Failed testing = they can't cripple it enough.

foobar wrote:

amazed if they bring the n93 out at this stage - it's a bit out of date at this stage and is a brick, can't imagine too many people going for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

( . )( . ) wrote:
    hmmmmmmmm,

i think the problem jimmycrackcorm is having is similar to what meteor done a few years ago.

they sold phones with sims that could only allow you to use together, ie you buy a nokia 3100 for €80 and you got €80 credit, you couldn't use that sim card in anyother phone (Sim registration failed) until all the credit was used up.

cause ppl (me) where buying them, unlocking them, selling the phone and keeping the credit.

the o2 €70 range is great, I do it 8/9 months so i get €10 a month always, its like having a bill phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

hey jimmycrackcorm could you give a few details on how you configured your n95 and homepage (is it just www.three.ie?)im in the same situation as yourself i keep gettin an error when i try to browse the web, check my balance through the services icon and im directed to "purchase broadband plan 5.99 month etc.. :(:confused:

hal9000 wrote:
    hey jimmycrackcorm could you give a few details on how you configured your n95 and homepage (is it just www.three.ie?)im in the same situation as yourself i keep gettin an error when i try to browse the web, check my balance through the services icon and im directed to "purchase broadband plan 5.99 month etc.. :(:confused:

I gave up on three and went back to Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

:eek: really that bad was it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

Just out of interest, has anyone gotten a new contract with 3 (within the last month or so) and had their SIM work in either a SIM-free N95 or any other SIM-free phone? I was hoping to signup with 3 billpay tomorrow and put the SIM in my N95, but after reading this I'm a bit worried about doing that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭slith

drdre wrote:
    why would you be on that site, you dirty fecker :)

For the articles, of course!

Well I take it all back.

I've just signed up to 3 billpay again and all works fine. Even ORB is working really well. the difference now is that I signed up with 3 directly instead of Carphone Warehouse. I had to pay for a phone now but the mobile BB is working like a dream. Perhaps the CPW sims are more restrictive because they are more subsidised?

Anyway I also got an N73 that is x-series ready and all the documentation is for x-series Ireland so it must be on its way....

• Advertisement
Advertisement