Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bro in accident - insurance

Options
  • 19-04-2007 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

The brother was in motor bike accident which wasnt his fault yesterday, his insurance is 6 days out. He forgot to pay it he had some personal stuff to take care of.

What I need to know is do you have a grace period with insurance the same as with tax, someone I know seems to think you have 12 - 14 days.

Also need to know will the insurance co still act on his behalf. As far as I know the driver was insured but we dont know all the details yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

His policy wouldn't be cancelled yet, normally you get 7-10 days until the policy would be cancelled.

Get onto his insurance company and pay the outstanding balance, and enquire is he currently on cover and has he been over the past few days.

Best advice, contact insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Thanks if it turns out they are not covering it, what options does he have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You don't have any options for driving without insurance. He would have know his insurance was up and it wouldn't have taken much to sort it out.

If the accident wasn't his fault he's best telling the thrid party not to worry about it and he'll sort out any damage to his own car. The other third party will be very happy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't get a grace period on motor insurance. Once it's expired, it's gone. That said, some insurance companies will issue a temporary cert to cover you for a week or two until you pay your premium. This usually only happens on new policies though, not renewals.

Since it wasn't his fault, then it shouldn't be a massive problem. He should get all of his costs from the other driver's insurance company. It may be worth asking his own insurance company if they will deal with it on his behalf, even though it was outside of their cover period.

He will have to be prepared for being asked why he was driving uninsured though if he decides to pursue for his damages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I agree with AntiVirus, tell the 3rd party that he'll sort it out and bite the bullet basically. He'll probably just make it worse if he tries to claim and the other insurance company starts questioning why he didn't have insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

seamus wrote:
    You don't get a grace period on motor insurance. Once it's expired, it's gone. That said, some insurance companies will issue a temporary cert to cover you for a week or two until you pay your premium. This usually only happens on new policies though, not renewals.
    He will be covered for up to 14 days depending on which insure he is with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Care to name any? Some will cover you if you let them know you've sent payment. That is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Most insurance companies give some leeway, as they don't want to lose business. Tell him to get it paid up today; the new cert will be from the day that the old one ended.

And give him a kick in the behind and tell him to be more careful about his renewals.

BTW; a friend of mine had his car lifted by the gardai because his insurance disc was one day out (he's Polish, but with fluent English). They wouldn't give it back to him until he showed the the cert showing that he was covered when he was stopped, and they charged him a tow fee and a daily impound fee IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

'Fraid not.
    The insurer is obliged to issue a renewal notice at least 15 days before the policy expires, but few (if any) motor insurers offer a grace period after the policy has expired.

This is different to other forms of non-mandatory insurance/

hmm i think he's banjoed so, I'll get him to ring the ins co with the above info in mind just to know what to expect.

Silly gobs****e :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

If it was in my case I would try and call "bluff" and talk to the 3rd party and see if they would offer a cash settlement. I have done that twice already with minor tips without getting the cops or the insurance companies involved, mind you I had full cover in both incidents. Being done for no insurance is almost as bad as being done for drink driving and it now carrys 5 points.

Think I'll get him to pay 1 payment off the renewal policy, say nothing and then the boy racer can pay for the damage, get the ban and points.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the accident wasn't his fault why is the issue with his insurance?

p.s. I assume he has paid the renewal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

If the accident wasn't his fault why is the issue with his insurance?

p.s. I assume he has paid the renewal?

If the 3rd partys insurance company wants his insurance details which the normally ask for they could let the cat out of the bag and possibly get the cops involved.

6 days late with money for renewal after notice was issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Go ahead and pay it today!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bond-007 wrote:
    Go ahead and pay it today!

Absolutely. Irrespective of any other issues to drive or ride a bike knowingly without insurance is pretty irresponsible, never mind illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye, you usually get 14days to renew... If I was him I'd renew now though just incase.

Sorry got it wrong, 6 days have passed since insurance expired. Had got renewal notice 3 weeks ago.

Anyway he cant get them to deal for him now so he's ****ed. Looks like he hasnt got a leg to stand on. Totally his own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

What company is he insured with and is he insured directly or thru a broker. If insured directly there is no grace cover, if he's thru a broker, the broker may have an extension with the insurance company.

• Advertisement

its direct, and they've already told him they wont deal with it on his behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

Hope your brother is not to bad.

They wont cover him.

I created an online renewal system for an insurance and they will not let you renew after the renewal date.

You have to ring them up.

Its a legal thing.

They are under no obligations to look after you.

Also how does he know it wasn't his fault??

It doesn't matter if your man said it was his fault as insurance have the final say if it was he libable or not.

If i was him i would try and sort it out without getting the gardaí or insurance involved or he could be in trouble

A number of witnesses at the scene say the two were racing each other.

They were at a crossroads turning right, he (bro) had a green light coming through the crossroads head on towards the first car. First car takes turn right in front of him second one follows not looking at oncoming traffic, cannot miss the second one and hits car.

He can claim for damages against the insurance covering the car who's driver was at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CRUMDUB12

AntiVirus wrote:
    Care to name any? Some will cover you if you let them know you've sent payment. That is a different story.

I Got my insurance renewal to expiration date , even though I payed over a week later, FBD are my insurers...

Did,nt have any ulterior motives, just paid late.

Advertisement