Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

350z

Options
  • 19-04-2007 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

What are ye're thoughts on the Nissan 350Z? I'm thinking about buying one. No need for it really, but I'm looking at one in particular that is very good value. The only thing is that it is a Jap Import. What are the downsides to this?

Also, if I do make the purchase it is likely to be pretty short term.. i.e. selling it again next year. (It's completely impractical to have a car with only two seats :D ) Anyone know what the re-sale of these is like. Will it been a Jap hamper that? Do these cars hold there value well?

Any other info about the 350Z would useful. Anyone out there have one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think it'd be very hard to sell a car with a 3.5 litre engine in this country, given the punitive tax rate and the insurance market here. I'd love one though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Stephen wrote:
    I think it'd be very hard to sell a car with a 3.5 litre engine in this country, given the punitive tax rate and the insurance market here. I'd love one though :D

ya, ill have to seriously think about this. Could be completely irresponsible and an impulse buy. But damn... it's a nice car!

What do people know about the fact that it's a Jap import. What are the implications in general of Jap imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

If I was buying one the fact that it is a jap import would not put me off at all, but I would probably buy the irish model over it if I could. Saying that there probably are very few to choose from so I'd just get the 1st one I saw and liked! There are no downsides to owning the jap model as long as you do your homework and check out that the specs are the same, has it alarm immobiliser etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The Japanese version is called a Fairlady Z. You need to ask yourself if you can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

jimbling wrote:
    ya, ill have to seriously think about this. Could be completely irresponsible and an impulse buy. But damn... it's a nice car!

What do people know about the fact that it's a Jap import. What are the implications in general of Jap imports?

Was admiring one in a car park yesterday, nice looking car alright. I seem to remember a bit of an issue with regards the power from the 3.5l engine. Isn't it more designed for the american market, and so delivering woefully poor performance for the engine size.

Buying a car, and selling in 12months will cost you dearly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Borzoi wrote:
    I seem to remember a bit of an issue with regards the power from the 3.5l engine. Isn't it more designed for the american market, and so delivering woefully poor performance for the engine size.

I drove one, and it had no power issues....

See old thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055068182&referrerid=&highlight=350z

Thanks for the info guys. lol @fairlady Z.

Ya, normally buying a car and selling it 12months later will cost you dearly, but the car I'm looking at is underpriced by about 6/7k. There are particular reasons for the sale. It has very low mileage and has been well looked after.

I would obviously have to get someone to check it out before purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Just make sure the guys name isnt Damo. LONG STORY...theres someone selling a 98 M3 on adverts.ie, might be a better bet. 320bhp 3200cc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

This is an anthusiasts car.

If your not a big petrol head you'll find the running cost of this a nightmare. You'll also find potential customers for the car are quite capable of buying one in Japan themselves and importing - so you'll have to price it very attractively. You may need to advertise it today to sell it next year - I'm not joking.

The fact its a 3.5 will not be a worry to genuine potential buyers I reckon as they will probably have already decided thats what they are after rather than stumble accross it.

Cars like the TT etc are built for people who buy cars because the like the looks of them rather than them wanting a drivers car if you get me, they do tend to get stumbled accross and because they are 1.8 prospective buyers follow through.

If you are looking at it as a drivers car then you'll not go far wrong with the 350Z - particularly at a knock down price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

If you can afford to run a 350Z, and don't need back seats then go for it! My friend recently bought one and its an amazing car, when you sit into the drivers seat its like you are in a cockpit, the seats are very low and the drivers position is perfect. Its a RWD car so if you are not used to these it will be a treat, the difference in handling is noticeable. There is switchable traction control to prevent you loosing the back end though! :)

It produces 280BHP standard, if its a Jap import it may have some exhaust or filter mods bringing the power up a few BHP more. I would have no problem with a jap import, just ensure the spec is up to the Irish model. Sometimes jap models come with less goodies (air con, electric folding mirrors etc). If its a second car you are only going to use on weekends to enjoy driving, then the 350Z is up there. It would no be suitable as a daily driver due to fuel consumption and passanger space.

Take one for a test drive and see if you like how it handles/drives. The bonus is they look amazing, a real eye catching car, but it has the power and handling to back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Having driven it (The group I work for have a Nissan Dealership), the car is overpowered for the Chassis, the internal plastics are cheap and nasty, the switchgear is flimsy, and it didn't impress me one bit.

Sorry, but compared to similarly priced cars, it's lacking a lot.

RobAMerc wrote:
    This is an anthusiasts car.

If your not a big petrol head you'll find the running cost of this a nightmare. You'll also find potential customers for the car are quite capable of buying one in Japan themselves and importing - so you'll have to price it very attractively. You may need to advertise it today to sell it next year - I'm not joking.

The fact its a 3.5 will not be a worry to genuine potential buyers I reckon as they will probably have already decided thats what they are after rather than stumble accross it.

Cars like the TT etc are built for people who buy cars because the like the looks of them rather than them wanting a drivers car if you get me, they do tend to get stumbled accross and because they are 1.8 prospective buyers follow through.

If you are looking at it as a drivers car then you'll not go far wrong with the 350Z - particularly at a knock down price.

thanks, thats good info and advice.
    I definitely wouldnt class myself as a petrol head. I love a nice car. I love a powerful car. (I currently own an Octavia vRS - not in the same league, but in the same sport :D )

In saying that I really don't want to be lumbered with a impractical car that I can't sell, no matter how cheap its going for.

I did really "stumble" upon thoughts of buying this car though. My original plan was to upgrade the car I have and buy a harley v-rod motorbike for the thrills and spills :D

It was only a friend who sent me the link of this car that got it in my mind... hadn't really thought about affording it before.
    I could handle the extra few k a year, but do I really want to is the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

jimbling wrote:
    I definitely wouldnt class myself as a petrol head. I love a nice car. I love a powerful car. (I currently own an Octavia vRS - not in the same league, but in the same sport :D )

Sounds like a petrol head to me! The VRS is a golf GTi in disguise, for someone that like power but is not a badge poseur! Would you be trading in the VRS for the 350Z? The only concern would be practicality really. Book a test drive and see, you will never know until you actually sit into the car and drive it. :)

astraboy wrote:
    Sounds like a petrol head to me! The VRS is a golf GTi in disguise, for someone that like power but is not a badge poseur! Would you be trading in the VRS for the 350Z? The only concern would be practicality really. Book a test drive and see, you will never know until you actually sit into the car and drive it. :)

no wouldn't be trading in. 350 is a private sale.
    Thats one of the downsides, because although my car is a Gti in disguise, it's a hell of a lot harder to sell. And I would find it difficult to let it go for very little money. May end up keeping it to be honest... or selling to someone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ned78 wrote:
    Having driven it (The group I work for have a Nissan Dealership), the car is overpowered for the Chassis,

Funny I have read alot of reviews on these - having considered one ( while living abroad I might add ) and no one ever mentioned over powered for the chassis, did it give you a fright of some sort ? Do you mean overpowered compared to your normal ride ?
    ned78 wrote:
    the internal plastics are cheap and nasty, the switchgear is flimsy, and it didn't impress me one bit.
    Sorry, but compared to similarly priced cars, it's lacking a lot.

To be fair the Nissan is a bargain in the US compared to rivals but here its priced a bit up the scale for some reason - hence the cheapy inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I had a kuro black one for just over a year which I sold in August (baby arrived!) - fantastic car - I have written quite a bit aboult it in earlier threads like the one attached above. I was getting 23 - 26 mpg (mixed motorway and city driving) - the Jap versions arent as well specced as the Irish/European models. Some people complain about the interior quality but I thought it was fine - full leather, electric seats, xenons, etc. Just give one a test drive and I think that will sell it for you.

You will lose quite a bit on resale though as I had mine on Carzone and didnt get any legit interest so was forced to trade it in GRRR

God I miss that grunt

TheBazman wrote:
    I had a kuro black one for just over a year which I sold in August (baby arrived!) - fantastic car - I have written quite a bit aboult it in earlier threads like the one attached above. I was getting 23 - 26 mpg (mixed motorway and city driving) - the Jap versions arent as well specced as the Irish/European models. Some people complain about the interior quality but I thought it was fine - full leather, electric seats, xenons, etc. Just give one a test drive and I think that will sell it for you.

You will lose quite a bit on resale though as I had mine on Carzone and didnt get any legit interest so was forced to trade it in GRRR

God I miss that grunt

again, thanks for the info.
    what year was it and what did you trade it in for in the end?

EDIT: Also, how long did you have it on Carzone before you gave up?

Stephen wrote:
    Why does this always come up with high performance cars??

Its a performance coupe not a diesel toyota, there certainly is a market for these cars.

some of ye guys were saying to make sure it is up to spec. Below is the advert. What ye reckon?

Absolutely immaculate, stunning car. Very low mileage (29 klms). The car is a Japanese import and i'm the first Irish owner. Tiptronic gearbox which is far superior to the manual The car has a Fujitsubo Titanium lightweight exhaust, xenon lights, trac control. 3.5 litre V6 280 BHP.
    Alloys, Metallic Paint, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Remote Central Locking, Alarm, Immobiliser, Driver's Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Multiple Air Bags, Air Conditioning, Leather Upholstry, Radio Cassette, CD Player, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, Sports Suspension, Traction Control

Looks pretty high spec to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ronoc wrote:
    Why does this always come up with high performance cars??

Its a performance coupe not a diesel toyota, there certainly is a market for these cars.

Because that market is very small in this country, mostly for the above reasons. Like the guy above said, he couldn't shift his 350z privately either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

350 interior is woeful for the price but the engine more than makes up for it , maye a compromise go with a jap import rx8 they are dirt cheap at the moment and the insurance and running cost might be more in tune with the irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

RobAMerc wrote:
    To be fair the Nissan is a bargain in the US compared to rivals but here its priced a bit up the scale for some reason - hence the cheapy inside.

aye, could never buy one here after seeing em second hand for 15,000e in vancouver :(

RobAMerc wrote:
    Funny I have read alot of reviews on these - having considered one ( while living abroad I might add ) and no one ever mentioned over powered for the chassis, did it give you a fright of some sort ? Do you mean overpowered compared to your normal ride ?

I drive high powered rear wheel drive cars all the time. The 350z is just not well engineered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chy

Does any one know who sales second hand motor/motor cycle spare parts in quantity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I bought it as a 2004 in 2005 with around 10k miles on it for 45k. I sold it a year later with around 30k miles on it. Price is a bit difficult to exactly say as I did get a good deal on the car I was buying off the dealer. I reckon it implied around 35k on the 350Z....around 10k loss over the year. It is a lot but I knew this when I bought it and I made sure I enjoyed it.

The spec on the Jap import you are looking at seems fine - just make sure you are getting it a little cheaper than the equivalent European version (and obviously you will have to sell it a little cheaper when you change again). You will probably have a bigger market to buy it the older (and cheaper it is). It does without saying that there is a bigger amount of buyers out there for say a 20k car than a 30k car. You might even get a "boy racer" or two interested when you go to sell.

I had it on Carzone for a couple of weeks - only one call from someone who gave me the impression there were interested and even made an offer until I called them back to confirm. Even though I knew it was the same person that I was speaking to, the person that answered said I had the wrong number - load of crap - may have just had one for sale himself and was testing the water.

Just a few quick pics of mine

350znz7.jpg

3501xd9.jpg

3502iz8.jpg

3503sq4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

jimbling wrote:
    What are ye're thoughts on the Nissan 350Z? I'm thinking about buying one. No need for it really, but I'm looking at one in particular that is very good value. The only thing is that it is a Jap Import. What are the downsides to this?

Also, if I do make the purchase it is likely to be pretty short term.. i.e. selling it again next year. (It's completely impractical to have a car with only two seats :D ) Anyone know what the re-sale of these is like. Will it been a Jap hamper that? Do these cars hold there value well?

Any other info about the 350Z would useful. Anyone out there have one?

just saw the car that you are talking about i know where it is too i pass it daily its a really nice car PM me if you dont already know where it is. Are the twin exshausts on the back standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ned78 wrote:
    I drive high powered rear wheel drive cars all the time. The 350z is just not well engineered.
    To be fair, you can't say you're not biased towards all things Bavarian, and also in what circumstances have you tested the 350Z? Why do you think it's pooly engineered? Are you bearing in mind that the high powered BMW's have an excellent traction control system?

ned78 wrote:

care to elaborate?

TheBazman wrote:
    I bought it as a 2004 in 2005 with around 10k miles on it for 45k. I sold it a year later with around 30k miles on it. Price is a bit difficult to exactly say as I did get a good deal on the car I was buying off the dealer. I reckon it implied around 35k on the 350Z....around 10k loss over the year. It is a lot but I knew this when I bought it and I made sure I enjoyed it.

The spec on the Jap import you are looking at seems fine - just make sure you are getting it a little cheaper than the equivalent European version (and obviously you will have to sell it a little cheaper when you change again). You will probably have a bigger market to buy it the older (and cheaper it is). It does without saying that there is a bigger amount of buyers out there for say a 20k car than a 30k car. You might even get a "boy racer" or two interested when you go to sell.

I had it on Carzone for a couple of weeks - only one call from someone who gave me the impression there were interested and even made an offer until I called them back to confirm. Even though I knew it was the same person that I was speaking to, the person that answered said I had the wrong number - load of crap - may have just had one for sale himself and was testing the water.

Just a few quick pics of mine

Thanks for the advice mate. Out of interest, what are you driving now?

The car is for sale for 28k. I reckon I could get it for 26k. The closest european version is 34k.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote:
    To be fair, you can't say you're not biased towards all things Bavarian

Absolutely I can. I've been on this forum defending many marques, the only time I passionately defend Bavarian products is when idiots post FUD as fact. I have a passion for anything well engineered, whether it's BMW, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, and have the utmost respect for cars that do things cleverly - Smart cars, the Ariel Atom, the original Mini, the S-Max, etc. So I'll thank you not to make assumptions about my interest in cars.
    Jimbling wrote:
    care to elaborate?

Sure. The engine feels like it can overpower the chassis, and at no point (In comparisson to a TT 220Bhp Quattro, a Z4M Coupé, and a SC430) do you feel fully in control of it. It feels like the car is actually flexing. Visbility is poor. The plastics are cheap and nasty, the switchgear in the 1 year old car I was driving had already failed, and some of the inscriptions on the controls had started to rub off. The Leather after 1 year was stretched and mishapen. Even a little detail like the wheel arches ... they're practically the same width (If not wider) than the wing mirrors - letting an unsuspecting owner scrape his wing whilst trying to squeeze into a small place. One of the gas lifts on the rear door had given up, and the other was about to go out in sympathy.
    Biro wrote:
    in what circumstances have you tested the 350Z?

At Rockingham Speedway in the UK. We also had a TT, an SC430, an SLK320. Every single person there agreed that the 350z was the weak link.
    Biro wrote:
    Are you bearing in mind that the high powered BMW's have an excellent traction control system?

I'm not understanding what you're asking ... are you saying it's okay for the Nissan to be ropey, because the Nissan Engineers can't build a traction system that's up for the task? That's just a cop out IMHO.

Advertisement