Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill half Marathon 7th July

• 19-04-2007 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of tackling the Achill half marathon in July.
    Having been doing short distance recreational running in the last no. of years I decided to take part my first half marathon in Connemara in April (what a brilliant day that was) but that was a challenging course.
    I completed it in the early 1hr 40's so fairly happy.

Would like to hear from any of you out there completed this l run last year? What was course like?
    Accomadation in the area etc
    Hoping to improve on my time from Connemara but also enjoy the day.

My ultimate goal is the big Dublin run in Oct on my birthday!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've signed up for this too, having also completed the Connemarathon half-marathon. My goal is to participate in the Longford full mararthon at the end of August..

I'm looking forward to Achill. Particularly to the smaller field (around 300 runners last year). After BUPA and Connemara, the idea of working my way through the back of the field has become a bit of a turn-off.

I'd also like to know what the Achill course is like, particularly the hill profile, however (and I may be wrong), I think it is only the second time they have hosted this event, and the first time to have the 1/2 on this particular route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I too intend to compete in Longford but at the half marathon distance and following that the Adidas half in the park in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

Hi there,
    I ran the Achill half last year. The course was tough enough - I would say that it's a little easier than Connemara, but the strong wind and rain last year made up for that. I believe that the course will be run in reverse this year, so will finish with a nice downhill stretch. If you ran 1 hr 40's in Connemara, then you should improve on that at Achill, unless weather is horrible again.

Despite the conditions, I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to all. I stayed at Achill Head Hotel, not far from Start/Finish area. It was ideal, but there are plenty of other options.

Advertisement