Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing Protection?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been done before - but what are people using for hearing protection and more importantly do you think it's any good.

I'm using the electronic Deben type for the last year and a half (skeet and the range) - they seemed good to me but heard a few people saying they're useless - I have a ringing in my ears for the last 6 months so maybe they're right?!
    What do you use out hunting - currently I don't bring anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I got these for the bike:
    http://www.diycustomplugs.co.uk/

I might start wearing them under the Debens - cheap to buy and easy to make but I must try them properly yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Was using diaphragm earplugs until I took up the NTSA job (don't get to shoot much now). Don't need much more for air or .22 even indoors. Plus I could hear my coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I cannot hunt with Ear defenders or plugs, apart from not being able to hear animals there is also a safety aspect where you cannot hear shouts/commands etc.
    When zeroing my rifle or patterning the shotgun I like Peltors ear defenders but for hunting, I fire so few rounds that it doesn't bother me.
    Maybe if you are sitting in a hide and blasting crows and other vermin for long periods then I would think about using some kind of hearing protection, but for my hunting at the moment 22/12g Rabbits on a farm, ear protection is not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Be careful with those electronic ear protectors

They can only filter out as much noise as a normal ear protector without electronics. Of course the do offer the advantage of being able to hear people talk etc.

So in terms of pure protection they are no better than non filtering models. They all come in at around 21-23 dB

If you really want to protect your hearing use the in ear protectors with the over ear protectors at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

If you are getting a ringing in your ears I think that says it all..

I use peltor electronic ones , sometimes backed up with earplugs.
    Good batteries are essential in the electonic types , otherwise the noise cancelling dosent work.
    TAC6S-27967.gif

I also have a pair of Zem earplugs they are pretty new and seem very good .
    I like the Zem's because they take up so little space that they'r easy to stick in my shirt pocket like a pair of glasses.

cart_case_big.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I do not use hearing protection in the field.
    At the range I have used diaphragm earplugs in the past but received a very thoughtful xmas present a few years ago and could not be happier.

http://www.msa-sordin.com/en/produkter.asp?rId=201&mId=104

http://www.msa-sordin.com/upl_img/09-000.0%20GB_Hear%20it.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

i have the custom type fit,they are made in a way to hear someone speaking but block out anything louder,they took less than 10 minutes to size you up,then they are sent off to be polished up,you get them in the post in about 4 weeks later.ill post a pic up later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

I have been using the Zem system for over a year now.
    Outdoor, indoor and once 50 ft underground in a hewn rock WW11 air raid shelter.Brilliant, lightweight(2.5ozs) and you can hear and have a normal conversation while still being protected from a .45 or .38super being shot
    beside you.
    They are available here from Ballymount Sports <30 Euro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

jaycee wrote:
    If you are getting a ringing in your ears I think that says it all..

I use peltor electronic ones , sometimes backed up with earplugs.
    Good batteries are essential in the electonic types , otherwise the noise cancelling dosent work.
    TAC6S-27967.gif

Iv the same ones

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

cantona wrote:
    I have been using the Zem system for over a year now.
    Outdoor, indoor and once 50 ft underground in a hewn rock WW11 air raid shelter.Brilliant, lightweight(2.5ozs) and you can hear and have a normal conversation while still being protected from a .45 or .38super being shot
    beside you.
    They are available here from Ballymount Sports <30 Euro

The Zems are excellent, light and comfortable to wear, do the same job as the electronic types and don't need batteries but they don't keep your ears warm when your 50ft underground in a WW2 air raid shelter.:D :D:D
    3ye3qyt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

I'm interested in getting custom plugs made. Can you tell me:-
    Where you got them?
    Are they electroinc?
    How much they cost?

thanks,
    Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Thanks.

The Zem plugs are enteresting - never heard of them before - did a search and there's nothing but praise. They look perfect for hunting too - just put them on when you're ready to shoot.

I'll use the in-ear plugs I made with the Debens this weekend and see how I get on - might get the cheaper Peltor non electronic ones for the clays eventually though.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Packas I was going to give these guys a try,

>>> "Emtec Laboratories" <sales@noisebreaker.co.uk> 26/10/2006 14:23:52
    >>>
    Hi,

Please contact Bunzl Safety in Dublin on 03531 4567826 or
    Campbells Hearing in Belfast on 028 9 024 0045

But I got a pair of electronic earmuffs for a birthday present so haven't had the need to get the custom ones. I will some day!

Mallards.

cheers Mallards,

I will check them out. I suppose I have to do a Vinny Van Gough though & send them my ears in the post so they can get an imprint for the plugs though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Well the one in Dublin is based near Clondalkin in the South west of the city I think, Where abouts are you?

Mallards.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

macnas wrote:
    The Zems are excellent, light and comfortable to wear, do the same job as the electronic types and don't need batteries but they don't keep your ears warm when your 50ft underground in a WW2 air raid shelter.:D :D:D

Zems in summer muffs in winter:D

mallards wrote:
    Well the one in Dublin is based near Clondalkin in the South west of the city I think, Where abouts are you?

Mallards.
    I'm in Wexford. I'll call them and seee what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Bunzl are good - good selection and decent prices - they'll ship nationwide if you talk nice to them. I got two boxes of 35dB disposable plugs (200pairs for <20eur) - good for total isolation when shooting a match. Also for those of you with snoring spouses!!
    Probably not so good if you're out after game with some other shooters - you'd have no idea what's going on.

Advertisement