Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Phone Kit Fitters : Who know's a good one

Options
  • 19-04-2007 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Need to find someone decent to fit a car kit on the north side..

So I bit the bullet and switched to Meteor there last weekend. Unfortunately all the new phones Nokia are producing are not compatible with their old car kits (unless its bluetooth which mine isn't - was in the car when I bought it)

So I've been offered a good deal on the new cradle and yer man says its no bother just unscrew the old one and bang this one in. however my old kit has an external speaker in the footwell and the wiring goes in behind the dash etc. So I don't think it's going to be something I can handle myself.

Can any car kit be wired thru the stereo speakers?
    Can someone recommend a decent place somewhere on the northside?

Ps : there's one near me behind Kavanagh's pub on the Malahide rd but can't find out if he's any good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

howya manti I'm in no way mechanically minded but I changed my cradle/cables no problem in the merc, the head unit was behind the ashtray in the dash and was a bit fiddly but is now working a treat. Try it and you'll discover how easy it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

It's not expensive to get it done. I think the golden pages are your best option.

Or you can DIY which isn't hard to do either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

I've a friend who's does that for a living, great guy and has done lots of friends and family - I'll PM you his name and no

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

Normally I'd jump and figure it out.. but the only instructions are some dodgy looking thing on the back of the car kit packet. SOmething about a connection to an arial looked confusing for me hehe

thanks for the encouragement tho .. I'll have another poke around the dash this evening and see if it's doable.

@ Dirty : ta for the number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

The place behind Kavanaghs is Pro-Parts, they are excellent. They fitted my bluetooth kit and did a great job. Give them a bell on 01-8030222 and get a quote.

• Advertisement

cheers Juan.. It was off to one side I didn't know it was part of the pro parts set up. TBH they're pricey for parts etc but I'll give them a bell and see what the fitting is
    cheers

pro parts is in Blanch now.. they're not on the Malahide Rd anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Will any of these guys fit a kit that i have purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

The guy I sent on will fit anything, his or yours...as i said v nice guy to deal with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Changing your kit from one nokia to another is a DIY job because you're not touching the wired in portion of the kit at all. You undo the 4 screws holding the cradle to the dash and disconnect the single cable. You can then connect the cable to the connector on the new cradle and screw it in to the same 4 holes. It's a 5 minute job.

If you're changing from a non- pop-port phone to a pop-port one then you'll need to change the cable that runs from the main box too (the Nokia p/n is CA-55), but you should be able to get to it without having to take your dash apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TBH installing car kits can be a diy job. I'd never done anything of the like before I did my own. I've since switched the same car kit to my 2 subsequent cars, no problem. I've done 5 or 6 for friends & family since. It's a simple enough job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

@OP.. what Kind of car is it? As has been said if its a fairly new Nokia kit its only a matter of take one cradle off, put the other on. If its older, just tell me what car it is and I can talk you through it if you like. P.m me if you're interested. I fit car kits. Generally its dead simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If you're changing from a CARK-90 kit to a POP_PORT you can get an adaptor that sits into the old cradle for a tenner on ebay. Means you can switch back at any time & no wiring.

That little cradle adapter is phone model specific, and won't work with something like the Nokia e61 which is a wide yoke.

I leave for two days and I'm so popular :)

I've been off for the weekend and had a look at the kit, disassembled as much as possible and found out more :

@ Tycho: Ur almost right tho on my kit there are two wires.. onne is the pop port cable that simply plugs out of the base. The other is a cable that seems to be connected to the long black plastic bit at the back. I checked the wiring behind the dash and I agree it should be possible to simply swap it, but not until I know what this extra cable does : is it the speaker or an antenna that can simply be removed?

@ Kermitt : PM sent :)

The 2nd one is only an antenna lead. That should plug into the back of whatever new Nokia cradle you buy. The Pop-port cable carries sound and the control connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I got a ck-7w fitted today .i have the sony mex-1hd headunit.http://products.sony.co.uk/Sony_MEX-1GP.asp

I just want to know what cable do i need to get it to mute the radio and go through speakers.Its a 2000 polo.hope you guys can help.

Tycho.. that wire seems to be attached to a long curved plastic piece.. should that disconnect too or does that go into the phone kit as well?

Advertisement