Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips on skip hire companies?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 11:20am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭

any i should avoid? i.e. late collection, etc?
    who's the cheapest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

This company is supposed to be cheaper than hiring a conventional skip :

http://www.keywaste.ie/index.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm. 100 quid for a 1 cubic yard bag, or €116 for 1.8 cubic yards
    it's €135 for a 2 cubic yard skip with greenstar; i reckon i've got just short of two cubic yards to get rid of, but it's going to be 99% concrete rubble, which would probably push me way over the weight limit for the bags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

I hired out out from A1 skip hire, two weeks ago. Still haven't collected it. The kids of the neighbourhood are pulling stuff out of it, and people are chucking their rubbish into it. Neighbours are complaining about it. I've rang 3 times but still no collection.

Do not hire from A1 skip hire!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

jdpl28 wrote:
    I hired out out from A1 skip hire, two weeks ago. Still haven't collected it. The kids of the neighbourhood are pulling stuff out of it, and people are chucking their rubbish into it. Neighbours are complaining about it. I've rang 3 times but still no collection.

Wish you said that before.
    I booked mine on tuesday, they're delivering saturday.
    Dang!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

In meath, midland waste dont make much money on skips as every w*nker who has rubbish, dumps in ditchs! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I booked and paid for a mini skip (€150) from Thortons on Thursday, insisting that I needed it first thing friday morning and picked up on Saturday. No problem they said, it arrived at 4 pm on Friday, despite several phone calls, and was picked up on Monday.They insisted when I phoned on saturday that the pickup was booked for Monday. They will basically agree to any conditions that you have just to get the job and then totally ignore them. I phoned a couple of places before thortons and was told they couldn't deliver when I wanted, so repect to them. I'll never use thortons again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cian69

jdpl28 wrote:

I hired off A1 two weeks ago and they picked up the day I called them to request pick up!!!

I'd recommend them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got a mini skip from greenstar - requested AM delivery and same day pickup. they couldn't promise the first, and warned me that it'd probably be tomorrow that they'd collect. delivered at about 10:30am.
    €135 for 2.5 cu.yd. skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A1 offer a great service, ie very good reliabile for dropping off (subject to availability) but usually a time given is a time honoured. Collection can be problematic, can be largely influenced by the location, eg if there are no other drops/pick-ups in the area, you could be waiting for a few days.

Also worth considering you can a have a skip on 20 minute fill, in otherwords the driver will wait for 20 mins you fill the skip and he'll take it away there and then. Also if a second skip is required call in for a lift and a drop, they take the full skip away and relace it with an empty skip at the same time.

Pricing is fairly even alround, but A1 as a bigger player is probably as keen/keener than most but certainly better on service.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I got standard skips from Midland waste and there was no pressure to collect them. But when I hired a midi skip 2 weeks later I got a narky message left on my mobile wanting to collect it. I spoke to a receptionest the following day she explained that the Midi's are flying out the door so they want them back quickly. BTW standard was €260 and Midi was €170

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wish you said that before.
    I booked mine on tuesday, they're delivering saturday.
    Dang!

Hey Eoghan, how did you get on with your Saturday delivery. We're still waiting for ours - between 9 and 12 they said. When I rang at 1 to find out when they would deliver the girl was really unhelpful.

Don't book A1 Waste!!
    A1 offer a great service, ie very good reliabile for dropping off (subject to availability) but usually a time given is a time honoured.

Yeah right!!!

I woke up at 8am to find the skip in the driveway, not as close to the house as I wanted but 3 of us were able to push it closer. Thought it strange the driver didn't knock louder or ring the phone but no big deal.
    They were 6 days late collecting. I rang the office on the 2nd day, a driver rang me back within half an hour to say he'd pick it up first thing but didn't.
    It was a pain in the driveway so long but not the end of the world.
    I don't know if any other company are different/better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PDS

A1 offer a great service, ie very good reliabile for dropping off (subject to availability) but usually a time given is a time honoured. Collection can be problematic, can be largely influenced by the location, eg if there are no other drops/pick-ups in the area, you could be waiting for a few days.

Also worth considering you can a have a skip on 20 minute fill, in otherwords the driver will wait for 20 mins you fill the skip and he'll take it away there and then. Also if a second skip is required call in for a lift and a drop, they take the full skip away and relace it with an empty skip at the same time.

Pricing is fairly even alround, but A1 as a bigger player is probably as keen/keener than most but certainly better on service.
    ''Pricing is fairly even alround, but A1 as a bigger player is probably as keen/keener than most but certainly better on service''.

u must work for them sonnenblumen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A1 are completely unreliable. We waited in for a full Satuday and they didn't show up - the girls they had answering the phone did not secure any coinfidence. We ended up going to Atlantic Homecare and getting a mega skip - it was filled AND collected by the following Tuesday.
    Sod their prices and how long they have been in business. If they can't be reliable and show up then they are useless.
    More things to do on a Saturday than hang around waiting for A1 skip hire.

After using A1 last time, I went with greenstar for my small skip this time.
    When they rang I said that I wanted it for a week, salesguy said after 3 days the charge is 30 euro per day:eek:
    This guy obviously doesn't realise how tightfisted I am, so after my protest that A1 don't charge for extra days there is the obligatory "hold on and I'll talk to the supervisor". 20 secs later it's "that's no problem, we can do that"
    Bleedin' chancers:rolleyes:

Advertisement