Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading - will my old 450W PSU cope?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm starting my upgrade at the moment with following below:

Intel E6600 Processor
    Asus P5N32-E motherboard
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB memory
    Geforce 8800 GTS - dont know what flavour yet
    WD Cavair SATA-2 320GB

I have an Antec Sonata with a 450W PSU in it and was wonding if this will stand up to the load?
    Any advice would be much apreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

This thing seems handy?

Calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭pob1

Thanks for that joe_chicken , from that link , if I filled in correctly seems will do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Could be cutting it close a 8800GTS pulls up to 250W probably depends on the quality of the PSU & the rails. If you do experience low performance/stability problems or crashes then it is probably the PSU not delivering the juice.

Some Google searching appears to confirm the GTS works with the Sonata 450W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i have pretty much an identical system as urs, im using a 580watt hiper psu. (i built mine and was advised by these clever fellows on boards.ie to go for that perticular psu). but then again, a friend of mine has the same set up again and is using a 400watt psu that the fellas at komplett used in puttin his system together and his pc is runnin just dandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah, people have had a 8800gtx sli rig up and running on a 400w pcu. But that was with 1 hdd and 1 dvd drive. if like most people you have 3+ hhds, 2 dvd-rw's fan controller, cathodes, better fans ect ect you would be better of going abover 500w to be safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement