Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling A Car

Options
  • 19-04-2007 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi, we are selling our beloved Opel Meriva and am wondering if selling (not trading) it to a car dealer would be a good choice. And if any, which car dealer....

This sale is already listed in carzone.ie, but we are considering other alternatives such as a second-hand car dealer....

Any opinions appreciated, cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

WUSBDesign wrote:
    Hi, we are selling our beloved Opel Meriva and am wondering if selling (not trading) it to a car dealer would be a good choice. And if any, which car dealer....

This sale is already listed in carzone.ie, but we are considering other alternatives such as a second-hand car dealer....

You could sell it to the trade, but you'll loose substantially on price I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

WUSBDesign wrote:

You will get nowhere near the market value from selling the car to a dealer. If you are prepared to take a big hit on the price and are in a hurry to shift it then selling to a dealer may be your best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If you are prepared to take a hit on the price then the first thing you should look at is dropping the price on CarZone. Going to a dealer/auction should be your last resort.

I sold my car last week via private sale. I found that once I priced it reasonably it went in a flash. I'm still getting calls from people seeing it in the print Buy&Sell.

When I priced it first I had been factoring in to give a discount of €1000 to €1500. I was working off the assumption that people will look for a discount. They do, but that amount is ridiculous. If they are looking for more than 5% discount then tell them to fúck right off. If they are within 5% then you can negotiate.

Eventually I put it in at a price where I would feel comfortable giving €250 off (2.5%). The guy who ended up buying it asked for €400 off. In the end I gave him €300 off. It was sold in under a week.

Compare that to the situation where it was up for 2 months last year and I was getting feic all calls. It might be ten days or two weeks between calls and I would have to go and wash and valet it again. I got pissed off and took it down.

Advertisement