Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair a broken hoover?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

sorry i don't know what forum to post this.
    Story is:
    We (flatmates in house) borrowed a neighbours vaccum and after giving it back to him, it doesn't work anymore.
    It worked fine when we had it (just over 24 hrs).
    Thinking about it tho, i thought the vacuum was a little warm when i used it.
    I was the last one to use it too, (hoovered the tiny carpet in my room which is the size of a small throw rug).
    My guess is that the motor is burned out. At no time was the bag emptied and one of the girls in the house did a serious amount of hoovering.
    So i have to find out the make and model of the vacuum and ring the manufacturer up.

But have you ever heard of anybody replace the motor in a vacuum?
    What else could be wrong with it?

We're probably gonna just have to buy a new hoover for the guy. Which will come entirely out of my pocket i'm sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'll hazard a guess that either the repair costs will be more than the price of a new one, or that the unit isn't repairable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

If you are of a mechanical/electrical mind then it's more than likely the motor brushes that have gone and they are easily replaced. Shouldn't cost more than €10 to fix.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Depending on the make and kind of vac, it could be hard getting parts.

If it was a cheapish vac, then a new motor would not be viable.

You say it doesn't work anymore, does that mean it's dead? A common problem is the cable getting stretched near the plug, or the internal reel, meaning no more continuity. I suppose ye checked the fuse?

Advertisement