Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Satay Help

• 19-04-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I am looking for a tried and tested satay sauce - not one for dipping but one to coat a lot of sliced cooked chicken and crispy vegetables in...to then be eaten with rice/noodles.

I have tried to come up with satay sauces before but they always come out being extremely rich and heavy, and would work better for dipping rather than for main meals.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

When you say satay sauce for coating....

Chicken Satay, as I understand it, is marinaded chicken typically accompanied with a peanut dipping sauce.

When you say "satay sauce", do you mean the peanut dipping sauce, the marinade, or are you thinking of what often gets served as satay which is some sort of peanut-sauce-coated-chicken (often deep-fried)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I guess what I am looking for is a peanut sauce. I want to stir fry chicken and vegetables and then add a homemade peanut sauce, and then serve it with rice or noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sorry...meant to get back to you on this...

I can't find the recipe I thought I had :( So I'm just hopeless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I'd shake up a few tablespoons of peanut butter w/ some coconut milk until you get the consistency you like and add random spices and chilli and so on. thats how i make mine anyway. the jar of peanut butter is quite handy for the shaking and it mixes it perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

This is a recepie I use for chicken skewers, i'm sure it would work well for just sliced chicken. It is delicious so would be worth a shot!

For the marinade: (Depending on the amount of chicken but I usually use roughly 3/4 tablespoons of each of the oil)
    Sesame Oil
    Soy sauce (regular or light,depends how strong you like it)
    Clove of garlic minced
    A small few chilli flakes
    Finely chopped Corriander
    Salt
    Pepper

Mix all of these together, pour over the chicken and leave it marinade in this sauce for as long as possible.

For the peanut sauce:
    Smooth peanut butter
    Cream / Milk
    Small bit of Sesame oil and Soy Sauce
    Pepper ( I find this salty enough)
    Blend all of these together in a blender and add more cream or milk to the consistancy you like.

Fry the chicken, pouring all of the sauce on the pan until chicken is cooked.
    Serve with the peanut sauce and it is delicious!
    Add veg or rice too to make it a more substantial meal..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Thanks for all the input, guys.
    Tree wrote:
    I'd shake up a few tablespoons of peanut butter w/ some coconut milk until you get the consistency you like and add random spices and chilli and so on. thats how i make mine anyway. the jar of peanut butter is quite handy for the shaking and it mixes it perfect

What spices would you put in? Whenever people say "add whatever spices you like" I have to smile because surely this bit is crucial? I mean, curry is curry because it is full of curry-type spices, and Italian food is Italian because it's packed with green herbs etc.?

The long and short of it is that I am clueless about the type and quantity of spices required for a satay - and need advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

The only spice I use in the satay sauce is corriander & a small few chilli flakes. The sesame oil and soy sauce are strong enough flavours.
    I have also chopped a small bit of corriander in to the peanut sauce and it is delicious.
    I wouldn't recommend using too many other spices in this particular recepie as they are all strong flavours as I said.
    I would leave the chicken marinade for at least an hour for best results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i'd use some chilli, and maybe black pepper but im putting black pepper in everything these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

A wee bit of curry powder and chilli powder in home made satay sauce is lovely, about 1/2 teaspoon for say 4 ppl, as is the use of cruncy peanut butter. If you can get Jif peanut butter it is fantastic for use in cooking, I've seen it in Fallon and Byrne in Dublin and you can get it in the states, it doesn't go all oily and separate like some peanut butters when you use them for satay. Good Housekeeping have a nice recipie in one of their books, which is a good investment if you're looking for a nice recipie book.

Advertisement