Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 month old baby constantly clapping!!

Options
  • 19-04-2007 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

My 10 month old boy is clapping a lot lately..he was clapping at 11 p.m. last night in his cot. He's been clapping now even as I try to roll a ball to him, he responds by clapping... Perhaps, he thinks it will get him some attention...his grandparents have him absolutely doted on and laugh and play up to him on every new thing he does..probably why he's using it on me. I've asked my husband to mention to his mom to cool it with the clapping lessons...Just dont want him to be like a 'stuck record' and get some kind of a compulsive disorder thing or such?? Am I being overly concerned? This is my only child so far, so I'm not exactly the experienced mom yet. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I think that you're being overly concerned. All youngsters go through a "clapping phase". OK - at 11pm on his own in the cot is maybe unusual, but he's obviously happy with himself so I'd leave him to it.

I wouldn't discourage your MIL from "the clapping lessons" as it is probably giving your child great validation for his actions.

Remember - If you're happy & you know it clap your hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

You are being a bit over concerned. He is probably responding to all the adoration from the grandparents but that's their job. He has learned a new trick and is delighted with himself. Don't worry he'll learn other tricks and will do them ad nauseum too, that's just how babies improve on their new skills. Don't be afraid to do your fair share of doting too. My son is 3 and he wouldn't even clap for a chocolate bar these days :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Miss Judy

You are worrying about nothing, he is very happy obviously so that's great!. He relates clapping to happiness I would say and you are lucky to have such a happy 10 month old. If he is upset or crying does he clap for attention??.
    He is also lucky to have grandparents that dote on him so much!.;)
    Stop worrying...as a mum of 2 & one of mine started school this year it's all ahead of you so enjoy him while he is this small and smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Crea wrote:
    He has learned a new trick and is delighted with himself.

Exactly what I was thinking, himself is the same. As soon as he figured out how to jump up and down while holding onto something he'd pull up and start jumping and then look to ensure he was getting the correct amount of attention and admiration for his new physical feat from whoever he wanted attention from along with a big self-satisfied smile on his face. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shesham

Thank you for all your responses...He's definitely a happy fellow alright, starts and ends each day with smiles & laugher. I feel a little silly now for worrying needlessy:o . Just a first time 'overly concerned' mom, give me a few more little ones and I wont have time to 'worry' Ha! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

shesham wrote:
    Thank you for all your responses...He's definitely a happy fellow alright, starts and ends each day with smiles & laugher. I feel a little silly now for worrying needlessy:o . Just a first time 'overly concerned' mom, give me a few more little ones and I wont have time to 'worry' Ha! Thanks again.
    Don't feel silly. It is just part of learning how to be a parent. We've all been there, believe me!

Your son is lucky to have such a caring mum. And you are absolutely blessed to have a son who "starts and ends each day with smiles & laughter."

Long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

shesham wrote:

Ahhhh, I had this a couple of months ago with my lad. He discovered clapping and was at it the whole time "showing off". Now he has discovered the joys of repeatedly dropping his toys from the high chair and whinging until I pick them up for him. Over and over and over and...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

squire1 wrote:
    Now he has discovered the joys of repeatedly dropping his toys from the high chair and whinging until I pick them up for him. Over and over and over and...:D
    I've had that,and clapping too! Shesham, just wait until your son discovers he can sing at the highest pitch and does it repeatedly till you feel like your head is about to blow off- you'll wish he was back to clapping!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Our little one does / did the same thing ( ok not in the middle of the night that I know of ). He has learnt a new trick and knows it makes people happy !

I rather like it, esp the smile of triumph when she does something new, she is now building brick towers and every one she puts on she claps and looks up to us for praise.

I would say don't worry ( but I am no expert just a doting Dad )

kelle wrote:
    Shesham, just wait until your son discovers he can sing at the highest pitch and does it repeatedly till you feel like your head is about to blow off- you'll wish he was back to clapping!

:D Last week my 2 year old started singing "Jingle Bells" over and over again. I've no idea where he picked it up. Not exactly seasonal considering the weather we had last week. It was cute the first fifty times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

My first girl clapped like this too.She found everything amusing.Then the boy use to throw his hands in the air and say "yay" and also sleep with his arms outstretched in the cot too:confused::D (must have been watching me looking at celtic scoring on the tv all the time)

Now my third child,she wiggles and dances clapps and tries to sing at the sound of any kind of music(she likes beyonce) even when im going to bed and she sound asleep after we kiss her goodnight she do a little wiggle in the cot.:D My fault really as since she has been tiny ive had been playing music and playing it loud.

However the terrible 2s,clapping becomes stamping yay becomes whhaaaa and so on,enjoy it now,its cute while it lasts.
    Well someone had to warn shesham:D

/me grabs coat and leggs it

squire1 wrote:
    Now he has discovered the joys of repeatedly dropping his toys from the high chair and whinging until I pick them up for him. Over and over and over and...:D

Our lad figured that one out early and is curious about loads of things and what it's like when they fall (like bowls/plates/cameras etc if he's held too close to the table or kitchen counter). :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

On the dropping the stuff off the highchair and wanting it back....

People your children have now reached another BIG milestone.. up to now they assumed out of sight meant the item no longer existed.. they have now learnt that things can move and still be there!!

This is a much bigger milestone than you may imagine!

People your children have now reached another BIG milestone.. up to now they assumed out of sight meant the item no longer existed.. they have now learnt that things can move and still be there!!

Yeah the whole object permanence thing is a big one all right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

Clapping the hands together is also very healthy! It is good for the heart, calms, and gives a feeling of happiness. It is why we fold our hands when we pray, are anxious, or excited, as in applause.

Also, when you can't talk yet, clapping hands is not just something a child copies, it is also a way he starts communicating with you. New words in the future will also be endlessly repeated. He is maybe praising you :) It's his "one big word" and he'll use it for "look at me", "good job Mom", "that was yummy", and endless other "comments". Communicating with hands is used by all the people who are teaching sign language to their pre-verbal babies. I hear it is really successful and cuts down on the frustration of the "terrible twos" which is mostly about the child thinking you just don't understand what he is trying to tell you.

He also - very likely, in your case, in fact - may be listening to, and studying the sounds of his clapping. Especially when he is by himself and it is all quiet around him. He may even be trying to show you the cool sounds and rhythms he is "making".

He sounds very smart to me. Try clapping games with different rhythms - he may even copy them. Or have grandma do it. ;)

As a general rule, whenever you are worried about something, internally make yourself switch from fear to love. It will help you to not jump to the "Oh my God, is this a problem?" thinking, us Mom's so quickly fall into. Grandmas often have this more relaxed, open, and positive attitude because ultimately they are not responsible for the child and can afford to err on the bright side. This often is also the other way around. The mother assumes whatever her baby does must be right and be happening for a good reason and grandma sees disaster around every corner - "if only she were in charge, her grandchild wouldn't be living in such danger". Many of these dynamics are simply the personalities of the women involved, and to some extend the expression of their relationship with each other.

My mother used to worry a lot and her mother's response was always: "Its just a phase, honey, don't worry." I am the "if my kid does that, it must be good and have a reason" kind of Mom ( I have 5, ages, 28,25,23,19 and...yes, age 7, plus a two-month-old grandchild :) ) My mother-in-law still thinks I am going to be my seven-year-old' s road to ruin, although I have her four grown grandchildren as definite proof to the contrary. Go figure.

When in doubt - have fun with the baby and go along with everything he starts to do. Baby knows best!

Only problem is..... he wants to test the theory every 15 seconds:rolleyes: . Ahhh, next week it'll be something different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Evertime a look at this thread it makes me smile (the happy clapping baby), probably the cutest thing I have heard for a while, that is one happy baby.

My little one is addicted to baby einstein vids and is singing twinkle little star and the abc song.

I am amazed how she can predict the sounds in advance, and really proud as well.

squire1 wrote:
    Only problem is..... he wants to test the theory every 15 seconds:rolleyes: . Ahhh, next week it'll be something different

Yeah, gravity is a captivating mistress. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

nesf wrote:
    Yeah, gravity is a captivating mistress. :p
    yeah but a seven month old eating bananas and cheerios is a captivating and messy one ........:D :D:D

ArthurDent wrote:
    yeah but a seven month old eating bananas and cheerios is a captivating and messy one ........:D :D:D

Yup. :)

Though I find porridge the worst with our lad. One swipe of the spoon and it's a bitch to get out of the carpet!

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:

Though I find porridge the worst with our lad. One swipe of the spoon and it's a bitch to get out of the carpet!

just wait till he progresses to wheetabix - my ds's have it every day and it sets faster and harder than any damn cement!;)

nesf wrote:

and having a dog that acts as an instant hoover is pretty handy too - he spends the day hanging around my daughters highchair - catching all spills/ falling food before it hits the floor!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

ArthurDent wrote:
    just wait till he progresses to wheetabix - my ds's have it every day and it sets faster and harder than any damn cement!;)
    Not to mention how difficult it is to clean it off their bum!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

nesf wrote:

Don't talk to me about porridge, my little one turns into an untouchable porridge monster after brekky. The curtains, my clothes, the carpet become porridge magnets. Why does porridge have to be so tasty, good for the little one and messy at the same time?

Started eating it myself though so it aint all bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Seriously don't ever let weatabix harden.
    It can go like cement esp if there was honey put on it.

Advertisement