Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry blossom

Options
  • 19-04-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

I have 4 cherry blossom trees in my garden, the 2 biggest, about 25 years old are on either side of the entrance with the branches touching kind of thing, the other 2 are at oposite ends of the garden.

The thing is they always come into flower at the same time, but not this year, only one of the ones at the entrance is in flower the other looks kinda thirsty, if you know what i mean, the other 2 are also in full flower. Any reason for this ? its been over a week since the first one was in full bloom. They were never this far apart before.

oleras.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My cherry blossom trees have been in bloom for about three weeks now, all three bloomed at the same time, as did our neighbours trees.

Obviously something is up. Have you looked to see if there are any buds formed on the tree that is not blooming? Any signs of disease or molds eating at the tips of the branches?

Did you do any digging work recently around the roots?

Can't think of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

r3nu4l wrote:
    My cherry blossom trees have been in bloom for about three weeks now, all three bloomed at the same time, as did our neighbours trees.

Obviously something is up. Have you looked to see if there are any buds formed on the tree that is not blooming? Any signs of disease or molds eating at the tips of the branches?

Did you do any digging work recently around the roots?

Can't think of anything else.

no work carried out in and around it, there are a few buds on the tree, and some blossoms, but the leaves look a bit withered and tired. Looks half dead next to the other one tbh....lol... i know we have not had a lot of rain in the last month but a mature tree like this does not need to be watered, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah, I can't imagine you'd need to water it. :D The real danger here then is if the tree is diseased the disease could spread to the other trees.

I guess you should compare leaves and branch bark from a blooming tree to this tree and see if you can see any black spots or noticeable colour differences.

I'm no expert on tree diseases, I guess it's time to phone Gerry Daly :)

r3nu4l wrote:

I'm no expert on tree diseases

Ah stop, im sure you know more than me..... :D

i will have a look this evening at the bark when i get home, and maybe turn the hose on it for an hour or seven....... this global warming really does have one or two side effects.......

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Could be cherry blossom wilt
    The more common of the two, 'Autumnalis', tends to suffer from blossom wilt which causes the twigs to die back at flowering time and weakens the vigour and flowering of the tree. It helps to locate a new tree where it will have good air movement to reduce dampness, but cherries do not like to be too much exposed either. The other kind is resistant, hard to find but worth the search

from http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=43&si=885667&issue_id=8471

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Is there any gum being exuded from the tree.
    It could possibly be bacterial canker.
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0701/bacterial_canker.asp

Is there any gum being exuded from the tree.
    It could possibly be bacterial canker.
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0701/bacterial_canker.asp

Not sure about gum,will check later, i will also get some pics up tomorrow. Might make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Two cherry blossoms forming an arch over your entrance sounds lovely, I hope it picks up again soon.

some pics. cant see any scars or resin/gum being extruded.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

There seems to be quite a bit of competition for water beside the ailing tree. That coupled with a possible fungal disease spell bads news.
    I believe your first course of action should be to water the tree deeply.

• Advertisement

There seems to be quite a bit of competition for water beside the ailing tree. That coupled with a possible fungal disease spell bads news.
    I believe your first course of action should be to water the tree deeply.

will do that today.....couple of hours water might help, but this year is gone i suppose ?

Advertisement