Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atari Jaguar

Options
  • 19-04-2007 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

There's a shop selling brand new boxed Atari Jaguars. Must have been sitting in the back of a warehouse somewhere. Once in a life opportunity to own a piece of boards.ie history.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/115280

Atari Jaguar? 33 votes

Atari Jaguar
    0% 0 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    30% 10 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    21% 7 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    48% 16 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Way too expensive and no really worth it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Way too expensive and no really worth it tbh.

Agreed...unless you really want a boxed Atari Jaguar for collections sake.
    Mint boxed Jaguars are pretty rare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

"the first 64-bit console"

ah do you remember when the "bits" of a console's CPU were the important bit

marketing is funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Wicknight wrote:

Ah, people were so stupid back then.

Man, that 'cell broadband engine' in the PS3 rocks, doesn't it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I already have one. And I bought it on boards :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I know it's a cult thing but lets be honest......the Jaguar was crap. Two good games - AvP and Tempest 2000. You'd be much better of investing your cash in a Saturn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

I know it's a cult thing but lets be honest......the Jaguar was crap. Two good games - AvP and Tempest 2000. You'd be much better of investing your cash in a Saturn

Agreed about the saturn, i love it, probably my favourite console ever!! I wouldnt mind getting my hands on a Jaguar though, just to have one, I hear doom is fairly good on it too (a game that was appaling on the saturn) but that price is crazy!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to agree, unfortunately, my Jad only gets dusted off for occasional bouts of Tempest 2000, AvP has not aged well and the rest, awful, Game had some new, boxed Jag stuff a couple of years ago and I bought Club Drive and a few others there, awful muck. Sad really, a machine is never to blame, it's all down to shoddy development, a lack of support from Atari perhaps, pity.
    As for the Saturn, yeah, great stuff, just a bit unfortunate that the PS came out at the same time!
    Can you imagine a world where the PS didn't get released? If the Nintendo deal hadn't fallen through and we got the Ninty PS instead?
    What a nightmare! At least Sonys entry into the market added some spice to gaming, drew it out of darkened boys bedrooms and turned it mainstream.
    Also, at least we can get Sega franchises on multiple platforms, good in Monkey Balls case, not so good for Sonic, given that he unversally sucks, aside perhaps for the Wii game, almost a good 3d Sonic title, almost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sonic Rush was also very good.

AvP really is an awful game. Impressive at the time but looks awfully ropey now and not much fun either. I remember the Doom conversion being superb. It was carried out by Carmack himself. It also had a decent link mode that worked alright other than the odd re-syncing since Doom came out well before the link cable. The only other decent game I remember on the Jag was Attack of the Mutant Penguins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I suggest you read the charter young man!

/me storms off in a huff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

amp wrote:
    /me storms off in a huff

What a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

koneko wrote:
    What a girl

What a girl!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Wicknight wrote:
    "the first 64-bit console"

ah do you remember when the "bits" of a console's CPU were the important bit

It was the Addressing which was 64-bit, the 'CPU' was two 32-bit DSPs.
    Alot of lazy devs ported their Amiga/SegaMD 68000 code to the chip intended for joypad control.
    And the carts were stupidly expensive.

I picked one up a year ago with a controller and AVP. Very tense game.

The Motorolla 68000 chip was basically the same that was used in the Megadrive and was very similar to the Amiga just a little faster so it was easy for devs to make lazy ports. Very few games actually took full advantage of the Jaguar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The Mega Drive had "Blast Processing" though. You can't beat "Blast Processing." Either that or I just like typing "Blast Processing" alot.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think the poll shows an interesting human habit - almost half (44% at time of print) of people pick the third option in a 4-way list of all the same stuff....

Somebody should write an article about that..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Hey look at the back of that Pippin - it says "Made in Ireland" on it!!
    Pippin > Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey look at the back of that Pippin - it says "Made in Ireland" on it!!
    Pippin > Jaguar

class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

They used to make alot of Atari's arcade machines in Tipperary town during the 80's. I'm sorry I didn't go and rob the big sign outside and raid the storeroom for prototype pcbs when they shut down. Would probably make a killing selling that stuff on ebay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement