Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

voipbuster java client not working on o2

• 19-04-2007 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried the voipbuster j2me client yet? It's handy for sending sms, especially now since they have free sms messaging in some EU countries.

However, when connecting to it with o2 ie, it won't connect. It's working fine with a uk sim in roaming, and also another foreign sim.

Maybe someone can try it with vodafone and meteor ie sims since I dont have those for the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

have you checked which country is free?

ie - if you use a UK SIM, is it free to UK, or to Ireland?

I can't guess whether they figure the location from the roamed network or maybe an IP of the SIM network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Its not so much that it will send only to one specific country - it wont even connect, ie I cannot even check my balance and such like. Not only the sms thing not working, the whole app doesnt get data connection. AFT, Opera Mini etc works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

working fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

maybe you need the ISP APN like with aft?

donutface wrote:
    maybe you need the ISP APN like with aft?

I have tried both pp.internet and pp.wap.o2.ie to no avail? Is it really working for you on o2 speakeasy? Very strange I cannot get it to work.

BTW, "free" texts on voipbuster java client are 2c within your country.... :( With the web client they are free. SMS to other countries than your own are 5c on both java and web client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

flodis79 wrote:
    BTW, "free" texts on voipbuster java client are 2c within your country.... :( With the web client they are free. SMS to other countries than your own are 5c on both java and web client.
    Do you have a link to the 2c charge thing?
    I know its not that much, but if there is a charge, you could just go through a server which emulates the web client to get free texts.

I still can't figure out how they know what country you are in from your phone.

dal wrote:
    Do you have a link to the 2c charge thing?
    I know its not that much, but if there is a charge, you could just go through a server which emulates the web client to get free texts.

I still can't figure out how they know what country you are in from your phone.

The 2c charge is not being officially posted on their web site afaik.

They are looking at the country your account is registered in, not the country you're sending from. so if you're using this in UK, with your Irish registered voipbuster account,you will still send free to Ireland but not to UK..

tonight ill probably finish off the voipbuster code, that 2c charge is probably just GPRS traffic? or does it actually get subtracted from your account

No no, not gprs traffic. Deducted from the voipbuster credit, and also showing up after message is sent : "message cost 0.02".

Check this thread: https://www.voipbuster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11348 if you have a VB account, they are using a hell
    of ambiguous biling for sms..

Have a look also at http://www.vyke.com - they do SMS via Vyke Mobile, 1.65 eurocents per message worldwide. Have tried it and it works great! Transfers very little data too, 700 up,500 down or the other way around.

AFT for voipbuster would be amazing. O2 webtext is too slow and unreliable... the voipbuster j2me client is crap but reliable and fast.

Also it should be easy as they have instructions on their website for how to pass text messages using a simple html string.

One request donutface... On the webclient you can choose your caller id. You can't on the j2me client. If there is any way you could implement that it would be amazing.

• Advertisement

Akula wrote:
    AFT for voipbuster would be amazing. O2 webtext is too slow and unreliable... the voipbuster j2me client is crap but reliable and fast.

Also it should be easy as they have instructions on their website for how to pass text messages using a simple html string.

One request donutface... On the webclient you can choose your caller id. You can't on the j2me client. If there is any way you could implement that it would be amazing.

The VB j2me is not totally crap - it can access the internal phone book.. That's a feature I would like to see in AFT!

donutface wrote:
    tonight ill probably finish off the voipbuster code
    Can't wait!!!!

flodis79 wrote:
    The VB j2me is not totally crap - it can access the internal phone book.. That's a feature I would like to see in AFT!
    You can do that in AFT at the moment.
    Akula wrote:
    It might be easier if I implement this on the client side. You could have an option to append your signature (which in this case could be your number) to the end of every message. It might be easier to do this on the client side due to message length restrictions.

EDIT: actually what number does the VOIPBuster message say it has come from? Does it append anything on to your messages? What about vyke?

dal wrote:
    You can do that in AFT at the moment.

actually what number does the VOIPBuster message say it has come from? Does it append anything on to your messages? What about vyke?

I just re-downloaded AFT (v1.2, 16.6kb large file) and it doesnt let me access the phone book on my Nokia 6070, while both Vyke and VB let me access it on this very model.

VB and Vyke both have your own number as originator.

flodis79 wrote:
    The 2c charge is not being officially posted on their web site afaik.

They are looking at the country your account is registered in, not the country you're sending from. so if you're using this in UK, with your Irish registered voipbuster account,you will still send free to Ireland but not to UK..

I don't know if they are looking at the country you're in, the home network of the SIM, or the domicile of your VB account

But 2c is the published tariff for Ireland at the moment

dal wrote:
    EDIT: actually what number does the VOIPBuster message say it has come from? Does it append anything on to your messages? What about vyke?
    I haven't registered the phone ID to the account anyway, so the sender is the VB username. I've read but not confirmed that registering the ID for use when sending from the PC client still does not add it for the mob Java one; certainly this looks to be the case from the settings format

nothing added to the message by VB

Vyke mobile sends the mobile number that you registered the account with, whatever SIM card is actually in use.

It's possible to have more than one account, and change the PIN, thus changing the ID sent from the Java client.

When not mobile, one can send when logged into the Vyke website, and in this case one can alter the sender ID (by receiving a password by sms and entering it back in the form).

flodis79 wrote:
    I just re-downloaded AFT (v1.2, 16.6kb large file) and it doesnt let me access the phone book on my Nokia 6070, while both Vyke and VB let me access it on this very model.

VB and Vyke both have your own number as originator.
    Thats strange. I have downloaded voipbuster and it works in the exact same way as AFT. I just checked out the java code of voipbuster and the only difference between it and AFT is the fact that the phone number field maxSize for AFT is 20 digits and for VB its 32. I don't think that his could be the problem, but it might be worth a try.

flodis, how did you download these apps to your phone (jad, jar? via bluetooth etc?)

andy0 wrote:
    I don't know if they are looking at the country you're in, the home network of the SIM, or the domicile of your VB account

But 2c is the published tariff for Ireland at the moment

All sms'es on VB are 5cent, all destinations! Where did you find the 2c?
    It is the domicile of the account, nothing else.

dal wrote:
    flodis, how did you download these apps to your phone (jad, jar? via bluetooth etc?)

I downloaded via "update version" on the phone, since I downloaded via the phone last time, so that option is available. I guess I got the new version that way?

andy0 wrote:
    I haven't registered the phone ID to the account anyway, so the sender is the VB username. I've read but not confirmed that registering the ID for use when sending from the PC client still does not add it for the mob Java one; certainly this looks to be the case from the settings format

nothing added to the message by VB

Vyke mobile sends the mobile number that you registered the account with, whatever SIM card is actually in use.

It's possible to have more than one account, and change the PIN, thus changing the ID sent from the Java client.

When not mobile, one can send when logged into the Vyke website, and in this case one can alter the sender ID (by receiving a password by sms and entering it back in the form).

The thing with the Vyke is that the client you download is customised for your account already, ie you cannot change the login details in the client.

Vyke: You mean you can alter the registered phone number on the web site so that the client you downloaded before will reflect this, and send from another number?

About VB: sorry I gave the wrong info before: I get the VB username as originator same as you.

• Advertisement

flodis79 wrote:
    I downloaded via "update version" on the phone, since I downloaded via the phone last time, so that option is available. I guess I got the new version that way?
    What address did you originally go to on your phone to download the voipbuster application?

dal wrote:
    What address did you originally go to on your phone to download the voipbuster application?

I think the one of the first page of the AFT thread - will check this again!

flodis79 wrote:
    The thing with the Vyke is that the client you download is customised for your account already, ie you cannot change the login details in the client.

Vyke: You mean you can alter the registered phone number on the web site so that the client you downloaded before will reflect this, and send from another number?
    1. Not normally, but you could if you had another account with a different number - Options > Other... > Change PIN

2. No. It won't change anything about the ID settings sent from the Java client. But sending off the website form itself can use another ID that you own.

flodis79 wrote:
    All sms'es on VB are 5cent, all destinations! Where did you find the 2c?

http://www.voipbuster.com/en/smsrates.html

Couple of things.

1. VB texts to irish phones are costing me NOTHING. Which is great.
    2. VB appends nothing to the message.
    3. By default VB sets the caller id to you username on the service.
    4. In the web client you can choose to send using a different caller id. eg. your phone number once you authorise that. Can't do that from the phone.
    5. Neither AFT not VB will access the phonebook in my blackberry 8700.

Anybody have any idea how to check the version of aft i'm using?

andy0 wrote:
    Sorry I stand corrected! That means that the web sms form recognizes that I am in Ireland while the java applet does not... And I am using it on o2 pp.internet setting.. Does the o2 packet data IP addresses belong to UK territory, is that why it belives that the connection is made from UK?

I downloaded AFT from http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar
    Did it once again now, but I cannot access the phone book. Is this the active URL for the latest version?
    Just to clarify: I mean the INTERNAL phone book in the phone, not the AFT contacts I am talking about.
    It's not listed in the features list on http://sms.donutsoft.net/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=AFT.FeatureList

flodis79 wrote:
    I downloaded AFT from http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar
    Did it once again now, but I cannot access the phone book. Is this the active URL for the latest version?
    Just to clarify: I mean the INTERNAL phone book in the phone, not the AFT contacts I am talking about.
    It's not listed in the features list on http://sms.donutsoft.net/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=AFT.FeatureList
    Ok cool, and from what url did you download the voipbuster client.
    Sorry to be a pain about this with all the questions and all, but I know that there must be a way that we can get that feature to work for you in aft (even if it means a code change). It does for me and most other people.

dal wrote:
    Ok cool, and from what url did you download the voipbuster client.
    Sorry to be a pain about this with all the questions and all, but I know that there must be a way that we can get that feature to work for you in aft (even if it means a code change). It does for me and most other people.

Downloaded from gsm.voipbuster.com

I will download the aft again thru computer and upload to the phone, havent tried that way yet.

• Advertisement

one issue, the VoipBuster client charges 2c per message to your VB account, once I get AFT working with the site it shoudlnt charge anything however as the server itself is located in the US now I wonder if itll only be free texts to america

Advertisement