Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caught with 4 Ecstasy tablets in nightclub...by cops

• 19-04-2007 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

My friend got caught in a nightclub with 4 pills by an undercover cop a few weeks back. Long story short he was read his rights and told that he would be summonsed.

Anyone know what the likely outcome will be on court day?

He's never been in trouble before: not even a parking ticket!
    He's in his late 20's, professional job, all the rest.

Anyone know how this will turn out!
    All input appreciated

(Please don't go down the "ecstasy is illegal" route. whats done is done!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Get a solicitor.
    Attend drug counselling.
    Get character references.
    Get your friend to say it was a stupid mistake that he made and he fully realises the error of his ways and will not come to the Gardai's attention again.
    Expect a fine and some manner of community service I'd say. With perhaps a period of probation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks AnonoBoy for the speedy reply!

Is a solicitor really required? Will it make much difference?
    My friend was caught red handed and did acknowledge to the guard that the pills were his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

A good solicitor would be highly recommended. If it doesn't go his way, and he gets a conviction, he can forget about ever getting into America again. So he should think about the bigger picture, not about saving a few quid..

Thanks AnonoBoy for the speedy reply!

Is a solicitor really required? Will it make much difference?
    My friend was caught red handed and did acknowledge to the guard that the pills were his.

A good solicitor would be highly recommended. If it doesn't go his way, and he gets a conviction, he can forget about ever getting into America again.

Even for a holiday? :eek:

Realistically, how serious an offence is 4 pills?
    I have no idea and I am just trying to build up a picture

I stand to be corrected, but AFAIK E's are a class A drug. So its the same as getting caught with Cocaine in the eyes of the law.

It's good advice from Anonoboy. I had a mate who was caught with 100 E's some years back. He was looking at serious conviction and jail time... or grass up... he chose to grass up, got a caution and skipped the country... hasnt been back since. I suggest your mate takes Anonoboy's advise.

• Advertisement

thanks irishpartyboy.

as my mate was caught in a county outside of his own would it be wise to get a solicitor from his own county or the one he was caught in.

the reason I ask is that i know for sure that he doesnt know a solicitor and would it help if the solicitor was from the "problem" county as they would know the judge better etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i'm no lawyer, but there are 2 very different scenarios here. either he got caught taking one on his own and therefore can argue that it was just personal and recreational use, and will in that case just get a warning and a caution. Second case scenario is he was caught handing one to somebody else and in that case, regardless of exchange of money or not, can get in serious trouble if they decide to prosecute. what time was it? early in the night or the end of the night? had he already taken loads? had he been watched all night? he needs to work out exactly how it happened, and all his previous actions need to be examined

I'd suggest he finds a solicitor who has experience in the legal area, I don't think the area the solicitor is from is overly relevant. I'm sure there may be others on boards.ie that have had similar experiences so you may be able to get a name of a practice. And WHATEVER happens, the pills were for his PERSONAL USE only. If he was distributing them and was seen, then its a different story.

i'm no lawyer, but there are 2 very different scenarios here. either he got caught taking one on his own and therefore can argue that it was just personal and recreational use, and will in that case just get a warning and a caution. Second case scenario is he was caught handing one to somebody else and in that case, regardless of exchange of money or not, can get in serious trouble if they decide to prosecute. what time was it? early in the night or the end of the night? had he already taken loads? had he been watched all night? he needs to work out exactly how it happened, and all his previous actions need to be examined

it was in first thing in the night, my mate was taken out of the queue by an undercover cop and then searched. (this apparently happened to loads of people both in the queue and inside the club)
    my mate came clean and told the guard where they were and said they were only for personal use. he hadn't taken any pills at the time of the search.

he told the guard that he was only in the area for the weekend with his girlfriend and that it was only for personal use....however I think the guard may have made the assumption that my mate could have supplied his girlfriend. this wasnt followed up properly again with his girlfriend by the guard.

however i have just been provided with some additional information. an extended friend of a friend of a friend is a guard and he was able to check garda systems (whatever they are). basically my mate is down for a "misdemeanour". what does this mean then?

hope this can clarify some things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

it was in first thing in the night, my mate was taken out of the queue by an undercover cop and then searched. (this apparently happened to loads of people both in the queue and inside the club)
    my mate came clean and told the guard where they were and said they were only for personal use. he hadn't taken any pills at the time of the search.

he told the guard that he was only in the area for the weekend with his girlfriend and that it was only for personal use....however I think the guard may have made the assumption that my mate could have supplied his girlfriend. this wasnt followed up properly again with his girlfriend by the guard.

however i have just been provided with some additional information. an extended friend of a friend of a friend is a guard and he was able to check garda systems (whatever they are). basically my mate is down for a "misdemeanour". what does this mean then?

hope this can clarify some things.

misdemeanour is just a small offence, like petty theft or public disturbance or public drunkenness etc... so, in my opinion, and don't quote me on this but i would imagine they don't think it was for distribution, which is a very good thing, as i think dealing is considered a felony. now whether he will be charged or not, i have no idea, that'll depend on the judge.

• Advertisement

whereby "charge" = criminal conviction = no america?

if he doesnt get charged are we back to the (much better) fine and community service/probation issue?

Is a solicitor still recommended for a misdemeanour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I stand to be corrected, but AFAIK E's are a class A drug. So its the same as getting caught with Cocaine in the eyes of the law.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no classes of drugs in the Irish legal system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

There are only two categories of controlled drugs under the misuse of drugs acts, cannabis and everything else.

Look at section 27 for the penalties. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA12Y1977S27.html
    Summary conviction for simple possession (under section 3) is 12 months and/or a 250 pound fine (what ever that is in euros).

For 4 tablets they are not going to proceed on indictment (which means a jury trial and potential 7 years), and unlikely to charge with a section 15 (possession with intent to distribute) unless he admitted to giving them to somebody.

He's likely to get a fine and probation. Best possible solution would be to pay money into the poor box and get the case dismissed under s. 1(a) of the probation of offenders act 1908. This means the court accepts the facts as proved but does not proceed to convict. He would avoid a conviction.

If he gets convicted, and the U.S. government finds out about it, he is inadmissable to the united states. Title 8 section 1182(2)(A) of the United States Code http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/8/usc_sec_08_00001182----000-.html :
    (A) Conviction of certain crimes
    (i) In general Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of—
    (I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense) or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime, or
    (II) a violation of (or a conspiracy or attempt to violate) any law or regulation of a State, the United States, or a foreign country relating to a controlled substance (as defined in section 802 of title 21),
    is inadmissible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Let us know the result when it happens partyboy, I enjoy hearing about criminals getting their comeuppance

Rosco1982 wrote:
    Let us know the result when it happens partyboy, I enjoy hearing about criminals getting their comeuppance

Thanks. Very constructive. I'm sure you've never made a mistake that you later regretted or broken the law in any shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭morbo

Thanks. Very constructive. I'm sure you've never made a mistake that you later regretted or broken the law in any shape or form.
    To be honest, a large chunk of population has never broken the law. I have never broken the law (that I know of! and certainly never to the extent that your friend has). I live a normal student life, I go out quite regularly, I do get drunk occasionally, but I never get ‘stupid drunk’, and I don’t condone drug use. I don’t think it’s very fair of you to assume that the vast majority of people have broken the law. Your friend HAS broken the law. What he has done is quite serious. And you are on a legal discussion board, where most of the members are people that have sworn to uphold the law as solicitors and barristers. Rosco1982 is perfectly entitled to want to see your friend get his comeuppance. I’d like to see your friend have the book thrown at him hard. He bought drugs and had them in his possession. That is an offence in this country. You don’t like the laws, move. I do tend to take a zero-tolerance stance on offences like this. But your friend is buying drugs. His money is going to fund more serious organised crime. His money could be used to pay for a gun that is used to shoot a perfectly innocent child. I know it’s a bit far fetched, but having a “Sure, it was only a couple of E’s! Where the harm in that?” type of attitude is ridiculous and reckless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Side bar point.

Never forget the advice given all those years ago by the UCD students union about the dangers of E. If you only take half of an E you should be grand........:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Having 4 e is a very minor offence. Section 3 Misuse Drugs Act.

If its his first offence a small fine is all he will get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Good enough for him - he's putting money into drug dealer's pockets if he's so stupid and insecure enough put that sh1t in his body he deserves whatever he gets. I'm sick of all these a$$holes whining every time they get caught.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I should say first off that the below comments are not in relation to the OP's posts, as I feel it would be inappropriate to comment on his friend's situation.
    Chief--- wrote:
    Having 4 e is a very minor offence. Section 3 Misuse Drugs Act.

If its his first offence a small fine is all he will get.

While it is not a very serious offence, it is not very minor either. There is the possibility of a custodial sentence - first offence or not.
    morbo wrote:
    To be honest, a large chunk of population has never broken the law

The laws in Ireland are phrased in broad, catch-all terms, so the point being made is not about people being caught for serious offences, but breaking the law as in underage drinking, underage sex, bunking off school, stealing someone else's pen or a coin that they left behind, breaking the speed limit in a car (which many many drivers do, whether they get caught or not is another story), downloading music for free or even copying a mate's CD. So in strict terms, it would be, in my view, very rare for someone to have never, ever broken the law, not even technically.
    morbo wrote:
    His money is going to fund more serious organised crime. His money could be used to pay for a gun that is used to shoot a perfectly innocent child.

But for just a few pills that is less likely than, for example, you doing business with a drug dealer's 'front' business, or the tax money you pay which goes on social welfare going to the same place. Such considerations are, in my view, besides the point. If this argument was followed through to its logical conclusion, it would be a mandate to legalise drugs, on the basis that if drugs were legal, drug dealers (i.e. pharmacists) would not be criminals.
    morbo wrote:
    but having a “Sure, it was only a couple of E’s! Where the harm in that?” type of attitude is ridiculous and reckless!

I agree on a personal level, but it is not for us to say whether it is a good or bad for another person. If someone is going to take drugs, I would hope that they are informed of the risks and the benefits, and make an informed choice that is appropriate to the way they want to live.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'd just to clarify to clarify and respond to some of the recent points made.

1) In my original post I clearly stated "what's done is done". I came here looking for advice and not for "just desserts" type comments.

2) I can assure you that my mate is fully aware of the legal implications when taking esctasy. He made an informed decision in the past to take them and he is also fully aware of the effects they may or may not have on his body.
    It is not an insecurity thing...it is a social and recreational thing. He never took an E until he was 25 and he has never even smoked a cigarette. He did not bow to peer pressure, it was an informed decision made entirely on his part in a mature and sober state of mind over a long period of time.

3) I can however understand how some members here may have no time for people who get caught but as everone is entitled to a case by case fair hearing let me put this into perspective.

As i have already stated my mate did not take E until he was 25. Also he only takes E once a year, maybe even less (not that this diminishes the crime any less). So to say that he is fuelling the drug dealers pockets with the price of 4 E per year is a gross overstatement.

Further to all of this I am only looking for advice. My mate will accept whatever punishment he will receive but as he (or I) have never been in trouble will the law (and never will be again) I thought I could come to this forum and see some unbiased advice with a torrent of "i told you so's".

So if anyone can offer some constructive advice I would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Hi,

As i have already stated my mate did not take E until he was 25. Also he only takes E once a year, maybe even less (not that this diminishes the crime any less). So to say that he is fuelling the drug dealers pockets with the price of 4 E per year is a gross overstatement.

The point is not made any less valid by the fact he doesn't contribute 'much' to organised crime.
    Further to all of this I am only looking for advice.

So if anyone can offer some constructive advice I would be greatly appreciated.

You already have the advice. Get a solicitor. IF someone is up in court on criminal charges what kind of help do you expect from an internet forum? A solicitor obviously is the way to go. apart from anything it look like you are taking the thing seriously.

padser wrote:
    The point is not made any less valid by the fact he doesn't contribute 'much' to organised crime.
    I agree with you 100%. I was just trying to make the point that a drug lord is not going to be able to retire off the back of my mates purchases!
    padser wrote:
    what kind of help do you expect from an internet forum?
    i have no experience whatsoever with the legal system so I was just trying to get any form of basic help (which i now have)
    padser wrote:
    apart from anything it look like you are taking the thing seriously.
    The reason i am taking it seriously is because it is my best mate and i am just trying to help him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

While it is not a very serious offence, it is not very minor either. There is the possibility of a custodial sentence - first offence or not.

Have you actually sat throught district court sessions. I have, thousands.

Although there is a chance of a custodial sentence.... its about 100,000,000 to 1.

Judges are not machines, if he pleads guilty, lets his solicitor talk about his circumstances and offers money to a drug rehab center he will most likely get the probation act.

In other words no conviction.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this. It is much appreciated.

Could anyone please recommend a solicitor in the Ballsbridge, Donnybrook area? In particular one who is used to dealing with these types of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hoyden

Hey Technofreak

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to my bf a number of years ago - different county, 3 pills, caught by garda. This is how he approached it.

1) Got a solicitor from the county in question - knew the judge, knew what he expected in terms of poor boxes, etc. The county in question was Wicklow - if that's the same, send me a private message and I'll see if I can source the name.

2) Go into court with a clean drugs test - the pills were a moment of madness and the arrest gave him enough of a shock to get clean - this means no smoking spliff for at least 6 weeks before the test.

3) Go into court with a substantial amount of money for the poor box - solicitor will recommend.

He got off no problem. There is NO WAY your pal should go into court without a solicitor, especially one who doesn't know the various idiosyncracies of the judges in that area.

Best of luck to him.

d

The point still stands. Had your mate not bought those 4 tablets, it would be money not gained by the dealer. It’s as simple as that. If everyone that only ever took 1 E a year were to never buy another one, it would probably impact allot of drug dealers quite severely.

Your friend has never smoked. Bully for him! Neither have I. So, where’s my medal? Given the current climate, your friend will probably come out of rehab as a hero. People will think, “Wow. What a great guy to get off the drugs. I really admire him!” Well, why don’t we admire the people that have never taken the drugs?

He’s aware of the implications it has on his body. I think you’re going for the ‘it’s his body; he can do with it as he wants’ defence. Well, I’ll be sticking with the ‘possessing drugs is an offence under Irish law’ offence.

It’s a social recreational thing? F**K you and the horse you rode in on! Nearly every addict refers to their addiction as just a ‘social habit’ that they can kick at anytime. It’s bull-pooh!

He didn’t bow to peer-pressure? Good for him. He still broke the law though, didn’t he?

It was a sober choice. Great! So even in his most lucid state of mind your friend is perfectly willing to break the law. Good to know. What a pillar of the community he is.

He didn’t take his first E until he was 25? That doesn’t make it any less illegal. “Well you honour, I always wanted to kill my wife, but I’m a good guy so I waited a few years before I did it, you know, so I could think it over.”

He only takes it once a year? As you said, that doesn’t make it any less of an offence.

Any contribution, however minimum, is still a contribution to organised crime. You seem to be under the impression that most gang members live a lavish life-style, limo rides and villas in exotic locations. No, they life on tight budgets, and generally have it worse than your average student. Your friends 4 E’s may have been food money for that dealer for the week. By buying his product, he kept him going for another week.

But as it has already been stated, you got the advice you needed. One person made a comment that you weren’t happy about and commented on it. Your challenge to Rosco1982’s view was what brought the rest of the anti-drug posts on. You could have just ignored it.

I’m glad you worry about your best friend so. Perhaps you should have advised him not to take any drugs in the first place? You could have prevented him from any criminal proceedings, and would have saved yourself the stress of having to put up with people like me commenting on the situation.

To be honest, I do hope your friend is convicted. Not out of any malic or illwill to you or him on a personal level, but just maybe when another of his friends mentions that they are interested in trying E (or any other controlled substance) just once, maybe your friend will be there to say, “NO! Don’t risk it. I did that once and now I have a criminal record. It’s never worth it!”

If he gets away with it I have absolutely no doubts he will take E again. Why wouldn’t he? He’ll think he’s invincible. He was caught with the drugs on him, admitted that they were his, and he will have gotten away with it.

Zero-Tolerance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im assuming the above post is a troll, altough its depressingly hard to tell these days.

OP, make sure your friend has a solicitor. There is a good chance he will get off without a conviction if things go right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

morbo wrote:
    The point still stands. Had your mate not bought those 4 tablets, it would be money not gained by the dealer. It’s as simple as that. If everyone that only ever took 1 E a year were to never buy another one, it would probably impact allot of drug dealers quite severely.

Your friend has never smoked. Bully for him! Neither have I. So, where’s my medal? Given the current climate, your friend will probably come out of rehab as a hero. People will think, “Wow. What a great guy to get off the drugs. I really admire him!” Well, why don’t we admire the people that have never taken the drugs?

He’s aware of the implications it has on his body. I think you’re going for the ‘it’s his body; he can do with it as he wants’ defence. Well, I’ll be sticking with the ‘possessing drugs is an offence under Irish law’ offence.

It’s a social recreational thing? F**K you and the horse you rode in on! Nearly every addict refers to their addiction as just a ‘social habit’ that they can kick at anytime. It’s bull-pooh!

He didn’t bow to peer-pressure? Good for him. He still broke the law though, didn’t he?

It was a sober choice. Great! So even in his most lucid state of mind your friend is perfectly willing to break the law. Good to know. What a pillar of the community he is.

He didn’t take his first E until he was 25? That doesn’t make it any less illegal. “Well you honour, I always wanted to kill my wife, but I’m a good guy so I waited a few years before I did it, you know, so I could think it over.”

He only takes it once a year? As you said, that doesn’t make it any less of an offence.

Any contribution, however minimum, is still a contribution to organised crime. You seem to be under the impression that most gang members live a lavish life-style, limo rides and villas in exotic locations. No, they life on tight budgets, and generally have it worse than your average student. Your friends 4 E’s may have been food money for that dealer for the week. By buying his product, he kept him going for another week.

But as it has already been stated, you got the advice you needed. One person made a comment that you weren’t happy about and commented on it. Your challenge to Rosco1982’s view was what brought the rest of the anti-drug posts on. You could have just ignored it.

I’m glad you worry about your best friend so. Perhaps you should have advised him not to take any drugs in the first place? You could have prevented him from any criminal proceedings, and would have saved yourself the stress of having to put up with people like me commenting on the situation.

To be honest, I do hope your friend is convicted. Not out of any malic or illwill to you or him on a personal level, but just maybe when another of his friends mentions that they are interested in trying E (or any other controlled substance) just once, maybe your friend will be there to say, “NO! Don’t risk it. I did that once and now I have a criminal record. It’s never worth it!”

If he gets away with it I have absolutely no doubts he will take E again. Why wouldn’t he? He’ll think he’s invincible. He was caught with the drugs on him, admitted that they were his, and he will have gotten away with it.

Zero-Tolerance!

That is a completely inappropriate response, the OP is looking for constructive input not a cynical rant.

You compare being caught with four tablets to being caught for killing your wife. Murder is one of the most extreme crimes an individual can commit, hardly on par with possession.Thankfully the Irish courts recognises the differences between the two. You should take the time to realise there is a huge difference in the severity of two separate offences.

You also seem to have a major chip on your shoulder about drug addicts coming out of rehab labelled as a hero. If you took the time to educate yourself a little more about addiction you would know it is an illness not a failing of human character.

Morbo you say you have never broken the law that you know of, well by the grace of God may the rest of society be made of same strength of character, never to make mistakes, as you.

You argue if the offender gets away with it he will take E's again. Do you know something we don't? How can you make such a broad sweeping assumption about someone you have never met.

You make the point "I’m glad you worry about your best friend so. Perhaps you should have advised him not to take any drugs in the first place? You could have prevented him from any criminal proceedings, and would have saved yourself the stress of having to put up with people like me commenting on the situation."

How exactly is any of that constructive? The OP is looking for input on something that has already happened. Yes he clearly should have advised him otherwise but hindsight is 20/20.

You also claim (tenuously) that drug dealers live on tight budgets much like the average student and that the money paid by the offender will keep the said drug dealer in food money for the week. Yet several posts back you speculate the drug proceeds may fund a gun to shoot a "perfectly innocent child".

Just so we are clear: a cash strapped hungry drug dealer, who can barely make ends meat, is out shooting innocent children funded by his profits. What would Maud "Would somebody please think of the children!?!" Flanders make of all this.

Do you really believe the book being thrown "hard" at the offender is going to deter the dealers. End users, who buy a few pills are the bottom of the food chain for dealers. The dealers can move on easily enough to new pickings, even if the offender and all his mates are dissuaded from purchasing. The book needs to be thrown hard alright but a little higher up, a fact well recognised by most people who work in the area.

Opinions about drug policy aside, you would do well to remember this is some guy looking for input in how to help a best mate in trouble. He is not looking for a rant aimed at kicking someone when his mate when he is down.

Zero-Tolerance indeed, zero tolerance for people who make mistakes and their mates who want to help them.

• Advertisement

If we were to completely eradicate drug trafficking and use, what do you think would happen to the murder rate?

I know there’s a difference in severity. I’m just saying that subjectivity in either offence would allow someone to be exonerated on some seriously stupid grounds.

Drug addiction is not an illness I had cancer. That’s an illness. People don’t choose to get cancer. People choose to take drugs. They actively seek ways and means to facilitate their desire. That does not make it an illness. Compare illness to murder. You do not choose (in most cases) to be murdered, but if you take your own life, it is suicide, not murder. Choosing to take drugs and getting hooked is your problem. I will never accept that it is an illness.

And, yes. Most of the time, it is a failing of the human character, not an illness. If you’re not of a strong enough will to be your own person and not break the law of the land, you do not deserve to be amongst the law abiding people.

I may have broken laws that I am unaware of, but I do not ever seek to knowingly break any laws, so yes, by the grace of God may the rest of society be as strong as me.

How do I make such a sweeping statement about a guy I don’t know? It’s called opinion. And it’s my opinion based on the fact that rehab just does not seem to work.

I question any friendship where one defends the illegal acts of a friend.

You also claim (tenuously) that drug dealers live on tight budgets much like the average student and that the money paid by the offender will keep the said drug dealer in food money for the week. Yet several posts back you speculate the drug proceeds may fund a gun to shoot a "perfectly innocent child".

Just so we are clear: a cash strapped hungry drug dealer, who can barely make ends meat, is out shooting innocent children funded by his profits. What would Maud "Would somebody please think of the children!?!" Flanders make of all this.

I believe my exact words in both situations were; “Your friends 4 E’s may have been food money for that dealer for the week.” and “His money could be used to pay for a gun that is used to shoot a perfectly innocent child.” You will notice the use of the words ‘may have’ in the first quote and the words ‘could be’ in the second. I didn’t say he was giving him money for food, nor did I say he did provide money for guns. That would be an all together more serious offence now wouldn’t it! They’re called hypothetical situations.

Of course the dealers and suppliers should be the ones being targeted, but if you take away their client base, you are going to damage their business. You are a perfect example of people that are willing to tolerate crime because it’s only a small part of a greater whole. Buying a few pills is illegal. Maybe you should run for the Dáil promising not to prosecute drug users as they are the real victims in all this and see how far you get.

As I said earlier, Rosco1982 simply put his view forward; OP then had a go at it. I’m not going to sit back and let someone put their view forward while refusing to hear others views. Also, about the kicking him and his mate when they’re down. Well, this is exactly what I’m taking about with the coming out of rehab and being seen as a hero. This guy hasn’t even hit rehab and he’s already got a bunch of bleeding hearts feeling sorry for him. He broke the law! You’re not supposed to feel sorry for him. He should feel bad. He shouldn’t have anyone condoning his act. He should be made to feel as bad as possible. Shame is what stops most people in his position from ever re-offending, not love and forgiveness. My only problem is OP’s “it wasn’t that much of a crime” attitude. It was a crime. Don’t condone it. His opening post should have been, “My friend is an idiot. He got caught with ecstasy. What are the legal ramifications of this, and what should he do about getting legal representation?” not how can he get away with this.

And to the earlier post, it couldn’t be a troll. It’s not nearly inflammatory enough, and there is way too little baiting. Maybe I should edit it and replace the word ‘friend’ with ‘Nazi’? Now that would be trolling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's enough of that.

morbo (et al), this is a Legal discussion forum. There are other places to discuss the problem of the drugs culture in Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement