Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How often do you exceed the speed limit?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Just reading the post relating to the speed trap locator & it seems like there are some who never speed, others who try not to speed, a few more that speed when necessary & finally others that don't give a toss (e.g. the two boy racers that got jailed.
    I thought a poll would be a good way to guage people's behaviour without starting a major row.

EDIT: Be honest!! It would be interesting to see how bad we really are!!!

The question of by how much is another day's poll, so if you travel 5-10 kmph over, you speed.

Do you exceed the speed limits? 102 votes

0%-20% of the time
    0% 0 votes
    21%-40% of the time
    36% 37 votes
    41%-60% of the time
    23% 24 votes
    61%-80% of the time
    19% 20 votes
    81%-100% of the time
    20% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I do my level best to keep within the posted limits, but I'd be lying if I said that I NEVER exceeded the limit (I've 2 penalty points to prove it :rolleyes: ). TBH, I rarely do. But sometimes, especially on a motorway the speed may creep slightly above - at which point I'll rectify it, but I don't intentionally exceed the limit.

Just reading the post relating to the speed trap locator & it seems like there are some who never speed, others who try not to speed, a few more that speed when necessary & finally others that don't give a toss (e.g. the two boy racers that got jailed.
    I thought a poll would be a good way to guage people's behaviour without starting a major row.

EDIT: Be honest!! It would be interesting to see how bad we really are!!!

The question of by how much is another day's poll, so if you travel 5-10 kmph over, you speed.

20% of what ? time spent in car, time actually moving.

Crap poll

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I do travel at the speed limit on the majority of roads, but i also use the M1 alot and some roads i have been using for years. I will admit that i do go over the limit on these roads but not by alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Needle is almost always above the limit, albeit not by much. I'm a 100% speeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I voted 61-80% as I would creep over the limit.

Maybe the poll should ask how much over the limit do you speed. For this I would say 5%, wrong I know, but most people proably would, if they were honest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Depends on how much i have to drink !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I tend to not exceed posted limits like 30s, 40s & 50s over here and the equivelents back home. When there is a national speed limit I will probably break it, assuming I believe it is safe to do so. Hard to put a percentage on it. Posted limit, almost never. national speed limit, almost always when safe to do so. Obviously the last statement is not true as I would never speed and if I did I would probably not want to admit it on a public website.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

ronoc wrote:
    20% of what ? time spent in car, time actually moving.

Crap poll

I thought it was obvious, 20% of the time you are moving, how can you exceed the speed sitting in static traffic? Maybe I should have stated it in a bit more detail but everyone else seems to get the message....
    ... how often do you speed when the possibility is there to speed.

It's not like the result is going to be earth shattering. What I thought it would prove though is that most people (unconsciously) see the speed limit as a target not as a limit. Most other limits people try to stay under (e.g. Overdraft limit), what the poll proves (so far) is that we as a nation are not rigid enough when it comes to watching our speed. Or read another way we are still a bunch of chancers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I voted 61-80% as I would creep over the limit.

Maybe the poll should ask how much over the limit do you speed. For this I would say 5%, wrong I know, but most people proably would, if they were honest...
    As stated above that's another day's poll, but I'm not going to start it for fear of starting another crap poll upsetting ronoc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

is that we as a nation are not rigid enough when it comes to watching our speed.

Only if you are of the opinion that there is something inherently dangerous about exceeding a speed limit. Doing 100km/h on the ring of Kerry is ill advised but legal, however doing 120km/h on the N8 dual carriageway is illegal but perfectly safe.

Of course there are some who believe a law is a law is a law. Thats fine, but I think, like religion, it is belief they should keep unto themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

maidhc wrote:
    Only if you are of the opinion that there is something inherently dangerous about exceeding a speed limit. Doing 100km/h on the ring of Kerry is ill advised but legal, however doing 120km/h on the N8 dual carriageway is illegal but perfectly safe.

Of course there are some who believe a law is a law is a law. Thats fine, but I think, like religion, it is belief they should keep unto themselves.

How about doing a mad 61kph on the waterford ring road.... a dual-carriageway with a concrete barried median....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

You maniac!! *swoons*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I think I have to be honest and say 80-100% of the time. I'm always doing nearly 110kph in a 100kph zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It also depends on how far away from a posted limit you would measure the speed.

I for one don't slam on the brakes as soon as I see a lower limit posted, instead I slow down.

So 10 meters before the post I may be going to slow (for some) whereas 10 meters after it I might be still too fast for the gardai.

Within 50 - 100 meters (depending on the actual speed) it would be different story.

So you could say I never speed or I always speed and you would be correct on both accounts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I go as fast as possible for the conditions 80% of the time...

Obviously that could mean anything from 30kmh to 160kmh in your normal 80kmh zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd say most of the time, most of the speed limits are unrealistic as far as I'm concerned. The biggest problem is lack of consideration for other road users and bad habits. If the standard of driving improved speed would not be a problem it just used as a scapegoat for poor standards. Incidentally, I don't have any penalty points, not anymore anyway.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Driving for 16 years.10000-14000miles/yr.

Can state without exageration that I have not driven a single journey without exceeding the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd say that I only deliberately break the speed limit when I'm overtaking. Otherwise I drive at the limit. You can be sorely tempted to push it on at times, but it's just not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'd have a hard time believing anyone who claims they never break the limit. Don't throw the "old dear" argument at me either, they usually go the same speed whether on a motorway or residential estate, there they are at 60km/hr. They might not speed as such, but still ignore posted limits and rarely adapt their driving to road conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Savman wrote:
    I'd have a hard time believing anyone who claims they never break the limit. ...

Same here. Even with the best of intentions the road signage is so bad half the time you don't know what the limit is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Savman wrote:
    I'd have a hard time believing anyone who claims they never break the limit. Don't throw the "old dear" argument at me either, they usually go the same speed whether on a motorway or residential estate, there they are at 60km/hr. They might not speed as such, but still ignore posted limits and rarely adapt their driving to road conditions.

That's a pet hate of mine but its not the old dears. It's the people you see every day crossing the country on N roads. You overtake them at 100mph (well you over take them considerably slower than that but once past you get back up to cruising speed) while they're doing 100kmh, without any drama. Shortly afterwards you see a 60kmh sign, you shed speed immeditaly and your at 60kmh before passing the sign, one hundred meters later the 50kmh appears and you pass it doing 50kmh.

When the dude you just over took comes past still going 100kmh, and your looking to your left and right at kids playing in gardens, cars parked by the sides of the road, junctions, shops and schools.

What's more dangerous, the person cruising along by themselves at 160kmh in a 100kmh or the person overtaking at 100kmh in a 50kmh zone?

Of course they're still going 100kmh when you catch up with them half an hour later and you need to start looking for a safe opportunity to overtake them all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

must admit, usually 20kph over stated limit, but less in built up areas.
    EDIT would agree wholeheartedly with two previous posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I always speed i guess i'm a speed freak:rolleyes: once got up to 140klms on the James Larkin rd to The Dublin Road.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Voted 0-20%. Agree with many posters there ^^^ though

I tend to stick to the speed limit on most roads, with some exceptions like these:

1. I don't stick to the indicated speed, but to the calibrated (GPS) speed plus a small percentage (as in to be on the safe side of being registered by gatsos etc.)

2. When overtaking on single carriageways, I always do so at max throttle, so in many cases (temporarily) exceeding the limit

3. I do the laying off the throttle thing (instead of braking) that peasant mentions

4. I sometimes speed on (near) empty motorways. Today was the first time in several years that I reached 200km/h (very briefly) in this country

I have no penalty points yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

unkel wrote:
    Today was the first time in several years that I reached 200km/h (very briefly) in this country

were you overtaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

well i try to stay around warp 3 most of the time ...but occasionally i have hit warp 9! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

unkel wrote:
    Voted 0-20%. Agree with many posters there ^^^ though

I tend to stick to the speed limit on most roads, with some exceptions like these:

1. I don't stick to the indicated speed, but to the calibrated (GPS) speed plus a small percentage (as in to be on the safe side of being registered by gatsos etc.)

2. When overtaking on single carriageways, I always do so at max throttle, so in many cases (temporarily) exceeding the limit

3. I do the laying off the throttle thing (instead of braking) that peasant mentions

4. I sometimes speed on (near) empty motorways. Today was the first time in several years that I reached 200km/h (very briefly) in this country

I have no penalty points yet...

I doubt your willing to put the boot down in your barge, floor it and watch your petrol gauge take a dive :D

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

were you overtaking?

No, I wasn't overtaking. It was on a completely empty bit of motorway southbound on the M1 between Dundalk and Drogheda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

unkel wrote:
    No, I wasn't overtaking. It was on a completely empty bit of motorway southbound on the M1 between Dundalk and Drogheda

were you bursting to pee or just acting the eejit? i've had a few northern reg cars go past me (as i was at 120-130) doing 200 easily and i've always thought to myself "wanker".

Advertisement