Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Highest Paid Players and Managers

• 19-04-2007 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Highest paid coaches 2006:

1. Jose Mourinho - Chelsea - €10m
    2. Alex Ferguson - Manchester United - 6.1m
    3. Fabio Capello - Real Madrid - 5.8m
    4. Sven G Eriksson - ex-England - 5.2m
    5. Guus Hiddink - Russia - 5.0m
    6. Giovanni Trapattoni - Salzburg - 4.6m
    7. Frank Rijkaard - Barcelona - 4.5m
    8. Arsene Wenger - Arsenal - 4.4m
    9. Roberto Mancini - Inter Milan - 3.4m
    10. Felix Magath - ex-Bayern - 2.8m
    . Rafael Benitez - Liverpool - 2.8m

Highest paid players 2006:

1. Ronaldinho - Barcelona - €24m (2005: €23m)
    2. David Beckham - Real Madrid - 17m (18m)
    3. Thierry Henry - Arsenal - 15.7m (9.8m)
    4. Michael Ballack - Chelsea - 15.3m (8.4m)
    5. Ronaldo - Milan - 15.2m (17.4m)
    6. Andrei Shevchenko - Chelsea - 12.7m (-)
    7. Alessandro del Piero - Juventus - 11.5m (11.5m)
    8. John Terry - Chelsea - 11.4m (9.7m)
    9. Steven Gerrard - Liverpool - 11.3m (9.2m)
    10. Fabio Cannavaro - Real Madrid - 10.5m (-)
    11. Frank Lampard - Chelsea - 10.3m (9.8m)
    12. Didier Drogba - Chelsea - 9.5m (-)
    13. Kaka - Milan - 9.2m (-)
    14. Francesco Totti - AS Roma - 9m (8.4m)
    15. Wayne Rooney - Manchester United - 8.9m (16.1m)
    16. Ruud van Nistelrooy - Real Madrid - 8.8m (8.5m)
    17. Cristiano Ronaldo - Manchester United - 8.7m (-)
    18. Rio Ferdinand - Manchester United - 8.5m (9.0m)
    . Iker Casillas - Real Madrid - 8.5m (-)
    20. Raul - Real Madrid - 8.4m (8.9m)

Source:
    http://sport.orf.at/

What was Rooney doing in 2005 to earn so much more than last year? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Will probably include bonuses, goals, comp wins and the likes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

does that include the individual sponsorship deals players make on top of what they get from the clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The bigger question is who is actually worth the money on that list?

cson wrote:

Mourinho for one seeing as he had help Chelsea win the league two years in a row...

Rafa another, considering how he managed to win the champions league thus bring Liverpool a windfall in revenues (how many million do the winner get again?.

Ronaldinho also because his entertaining playing style helps bring 90,000+ to the Nou camp everyother week...

you can go down through that list in a similar fashion. despite the huge sums, most players/managers tend to generate more income than they earn for club and multinational...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

What's Trappatoni doing thats worth 4.6m a year? Is he still receiving payments from his numerous employers during the years or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

cson wrote:

Remember Winston Bogarde , he picked up 40k sterling a week for Chelsea, before the Abramovich era, and as far as I know never played a game for the first team , and was happy to loiter around the reserves.

Thomas Brolin at Leeds , picked up a tidy sum 10 years ago, and all he did was get fat ... so some players deserve and some are happy to party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What's Trappatoni doing thats worth 4.6m a year? Is he still receiving payments from his numerous employers during the years or something?

Red Bull own Salzburg, and the guy who owns them is a local, think he's trying to do an Abromovich with them! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Very interesting to see that both Arsenal and Liverpool had a player on considerably more money than Uniteds highest earner. I knew chelsea did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mourinho for one seeing as he had help Chelsea win the league two years in a row...

Typical fan response :D

How the hell is spending 200 million and making 60 considered good management :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

KdjaCL wrote:

How the hell is spending 200 million and making 60 considered good management :confused:

kdjac

Seconded. With the backing of a Abramovich any manager with some competence could have put together a world class side. Jose Mourinho just happened to be going up in estimations when Chelsea were changing their manager. Plus he was easier to wrestle from Porto than Ferguson from Man United or Wenger from Arsenal etc.

EDIT: Its perhaps ironic that his flair (which I presume is part of why Chelsea signed him as manager) is the thing thats going to have him sacked at the end of the season. (Probably)

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

DO NOT CALL ME A CHELSEA FAN!

seriously, i've never been so insulted in my life :mad:

well i don't think Jose could be blamed for the financial mess Chelsea is in. that was Ambramovich's choice and doing, and it still takes some level of competence to win things i guess...

there's also the reputation factor. his current wage levels are as much a reward for what he did at Porto than what he's done at Chelsea...

at the end of the day, he won things and helped raise their profile, as dog ugly as the football is at times. gave them a good solid basis to expand revenues and crap like as long as they add a bit more flare to their game... he got them winning, which is what they wanted, and were willing to pay for...

at the end of the day, he won things and helped raise their profile, as dog ugly as the football is at times. gave them a good solid basis to expand revenues and crap like as long as they add a bit more flare to their game... he got them winning, which is what they wanted, and were willing to pay for...

But did he win enough considering the money he spent and the assets at his disposal? I think he was expected to have won the CL with the squad he has. Maybe he'll do it this year but it's telling that he appears to be drinking in the last chance saloon with abromovich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

In fairness, we all know that the Champions League cannot just be "bought". You're playing in a semi-knockout contest with the rest of Europe's best-performing players, and you only need one bad night to be knocked out. United fans should know that better than anyone, considering the number of quarter- and semi-finals they were beaten in.

The Muppet wrote:
    But did he win enough considering the money he spent and the assets at his disposal? I think he was expected to have won the CL with the squad he has. Maybe he'll do it this year but it's telling that he appears to be drinking in the last chance saloon with abromovich.

€10,000,000/y for José and he brings them 2 premierships. pretty good return when you look at it that way.

as for the buys... it's hard to pin down who exactly was a Mourinho buy and which was a club buy. Drogba, Essien, Carvalho, have all been excellent for the club, i think it's fairly certain they were his buys. More recent like Boularouz(sp?), Ballack, Shevchenko i think were out of his control. Cole has been decent... Ferreira has been crap, SWP was never given a fair chance (again doesn't come across to me as a typical Mourinho buy)... every manager, including the best have their dud buys, Veron, Reyes etc.

In terms of the Champions league, 2005 knocked out by the team who won it, 2006 knocked out by the team who won it, 2007 in the semis. I don't think it's the worst record. Two semis in 3 years, that's still substantial revenues brought in. Also, just because they have money does not mean they are entitled to a champions league... Real being the prime example over recent seasons... so he and the club arguably could have done a lot worse...

Overall i don't think you cannot say Mourinho has given a decent return on his investment. Sure he could have brought more... but then again i think you can say that about most managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa should put in for a pay rise.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Or take the Real job?

kdjac

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Hardly worth his while now with only a few weeks left in the season.

Advertisement