Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog showing in lreland

Options
  • 19-04-2007 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Have just sent of my forms to Irish Kennel club reg my Huskies so I can go to show under IKREG rules. Does any one know how you can find out about the shows and where they are and how to enter?:) :):):):D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

go to www.ikc.ie and shows dates are on the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

Thats great but has anyone been showing in ireland what do you think of it.Anyone know what kind of huskies are winning.How many stars do you need to become a champ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

I also have a husky, which I have showed, but to be honest it's not for me. All the owners running around with bottles of hairspray for their dogs and grooming brushes etc ect. It's alot of 'politics' involved. When I showed my Leon it was mainly red and white huskies that were wining, but I couldn't say if they are still as popular.

Good Luck:D
    Annika

Have you showen in many shows? I have a black and white and a wolf grey. the wolf grey came third in a eng reg champ show. I know you about the politics. I have a breeding pair. But have not bred and am not due until I get the hip test done both have there eyes done and are clear. also I want my dog to go to show and poss do well. I will not be getting involved with any one as there are people try to bad mouth aready and I haven't even done anything. I only want to do what is good for my dogs. I have even seen the vet about the jag that is like the pill for my bitch.

No I only showed him in a few shows, I really have no interests in showing, I just wanted to try it out.
    When I got my first husky there wasn't many around, maybe 50-100. That number has increased quite alot in the last few years, probably because of films like 'Snow Dog'. Personally I don't think huskys make great family pets as they need sooooooo much exersice and they really need to 'work', they would not be happy with just a 30 minutes walk a day. If they don't get enough exersice they could very likely get destructive and they also starts to refuse to eat.
    What type of husky do you have? Show, i.e a couchpotatoe, or a husky breed for sledding? My couchpotatoe doesn't even like snow:D :D:D

Annika

• Advertisement

I had one that was a lazy bein. But since I got my second she has turned into a racer. My new one is diff a show dog.when I take them out they love to pull like they are racing. My bitch mores so than the dog. He just wants to sniff every thing he passes and pee.:o

I do think there is a lot about now and a lot are selling them as pure bred. I was told a story once by a breeder he had pups with out papers and sold two to a fella in a white van. He had been talking with a girl of the phone a year later who was looking for another husky kcreg. He ask her where she got her first one. she told him it was of a fella in a white van. when he ask more he was told the time and age of the dog. He asked to visit and he found out that it was one of his pups. The man that bought it of him had had a litter of pups at the same time and he ordered more kcreg forms and bought his puppys and sold them on as kcreg pups. Thats why I like Ikcreg as you have to microchip to get the reg. what can we do to stop the boys make the money. They are seling there pups at the same price as pure breds.

What I meant was what type of husky do you have there are different types within the breed, in fact 3 different types. You can usually tell by the way they are build.

Annika:)

I have two siberians

http://www.vargevass.com/websiberian/engels/breed/breedtypes.html

Have a look at this site, I think you misunderstood me.
    Annika:) :):)

• Advertisement

Know what you are talking about now. I have a standard bitch and a show dog.:D :D

Had was a good link. If I could put my pics on I would.:confused::confused:I found a lot of huskie owners on bebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Hey guys,nice to see some active husky boardsers!I hope to get a pair some day (when I can afford my own house!).

Did you buy in Ireland? What can I expect to pay for a pup?
    Thnx

bobmeaney, Yes I got my husky in Ireland. There seem to be quite a few breeders around at the moment. They are lovely dogs, but I would not recommend them as a family pet they need so much exercise, and I would say it would probably be impossible to find a more stubborn breed:D . Are you planning on sledding with your husky when you get one?

Annika:)

I bought one of mine in ni and the other is from newcastle eng. There are a lot of breeders here but watch out a lot don't know huskies they are just breeding for the money. People will try and sell you won with no papers at about £500 ster. with papers wil be around£600ster some people in england are chargin £700 ster. I can't see why? I do agree with annika Don't buy a husky for a pet. I show mine and I do run them with a bike. Would love to sled with them but Know one around here does it. Also they do not like to be left alone. Don't buy one if you work all the time.DSCN0800.JPG

DSCN0853.JPG:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dsignr25

I loved the photos :)
    I'd like to know more about showing them what training generally would you reccommend they get first? I have 2 huskies and would love to show them but am completely clueless on the process. They are 14 months and 10 months old. Is this too old to start??

:D My second husky was two when I got him and he was at his first show last week. There is no one near me that does ring craft classes. If you have any classes near you they are a good start. I have had to learn myself and I just go to shows and watch. If you have any question email me www.huskyni@hotmail.com or check out my bebo wwwhuskyni:D :D:D:D:D

Advertisement