Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Tom One Europe - How to make sure you're getting right version?

• 19-04-2007 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Had a look through all the post but it only added to my confusion:
    I'm looking into buying a GPS with Europe and UK&IE maps. It's most porbably going to be TomTom One at this stage. What do I need to check in terms of software/map versions in order to make sure I'm getting the latest versions?

Thanks Alot for your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Buy the TomTom one V2 Europe. Cant go wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

cobijones wrote:
    Buy the TomTom one V2 Europe. Cant go wrong

You can if they've got old stock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

ejmaztec wrote:
    You can if they've got old stock!
    That's what I thought MAY happen. But is there OLD stock of v2, or as long as it's v2 it's ok? anyone could shed more light on this?

As the new Teleatlas v6.75 map updates came out yesterday, there's a strong possibility that you will take part in the much-loved TomTom lottery! The stock doesn't have to be very old for anyone to still get screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I bought one yesterday from Amazon..

Tomtom One Europe

Could this one be out of date before I even get it? What has this newer version got that the normal one doesnt?

Am I right in saying that the "old" one has Navteq maps and the new one has teleatlas?
    Im confused aswell because the world and its mother have been saying to avoid teleatlas. Does this mean getting the older version of the Tomtom one Europe with the Navteq maps is better?

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote:
    As the new Teleatlas v6.75 map updates came out yesterday, there's a strong possibility that you will take part in the much-loved TomTom lottery! The stock doesn't have to be very old for anyone to still get screwed.

I thought TOMTOM ONE EUROPE uses Navteq not Teleatlas.
    So, can any one tell me what question do I need to ask to know that the specific version is right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Hi everyone,

The latest maps released yesterday by TomTom are version 6.75 of the latest Teleatlas maps. They are apparently a lot better than the previous Teleatlas versions but I'm not sure they're yet as good as the v6.6 Navteq ones for Ireland.

I'm looking to buy a TomTom One Europe from Halfords later today but I'm not sure about the version numbering. Can anyone who has one with the latest Navteq maps (v6.6) post what version information their TomTom shows on the about screen so I can ensure I get the right one?

From doing a bit of research on the net, it seems that TomTom have recently released a new version of the TomTom Europe (which Amazon are selling) which includes 1Gb of internal memory in place of the current 1Gb SD Card. This version does not appear to have made it here yet as Halfords are still selling the older (SD Card) version. However, I'm not sure that is a problem as apart from the lack of an SD card, I can't see any other differences between the two?

Cheers
    Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The safest thing to do is to take the unit out of the box before purchase , start it up and go through the menu to find what maps are installed .

I can post a step by step guide on this if necessary ( But will be away from PC for an hour or two) Its easy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 digitalsnap

The version on my One, purchased at halfords at the end of mar/beginning or april with navteq maps is:

Map: 'Western_Europe' v660.1256

To check this, you will have to turn on the all menus option first:
    Tap screen to get to main menu
    Tap Change Preferences
    Tap '>' arrow twice to get to preferences page 3 of 3
    Tap Show all menu options, continue
    Tap screen to get back into main menu
    Tap '>' arrow twice and then Show Versions

It's easier to do it than explain it so you shouldn't have any problems. You'd just need to get them to let you open it before laying out the cash.

As mentioned above, I think the newer 675 maps are a bit of an unknown at the moment and until someone confirmed the coverage I'd stick with 660 if it was me.

aaargh. this is the one I was going to buy:
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=440&xSec=24

Spoke to their customer service. The guy said it's Tele Atlas. So, it's a no-no-no then?

• Advertisement

but it says here: http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=234&Section=386&Category=0&Lid=25
    that it uses navteq.

confusion-o-rama!

and here it says it's navteq. So would it be safe to get as long as it's navteq?
    http://www.pentagongps.co.uk/item.do?item=82

I would get one on two conditions:

1 That it has Navteq maps on board.

2 That any future updates would be Navteq.

The problem at the moment seems to be that TomTom has renewed a contract with Teleatlas to provide them with maps for another couple of years (I think). The big mystery grey area is TomTom's relationship with Navteq. Have they stopped using them? Why did they use them? Are they still using them? Only TomTom knows and they never give any information away to anyone. It would be easier to get information from the CIA on the intricate details of every one of their covert ops.

TomTom is hard work and no existing/potential customer should be left so much in the dark about what you get for your money. I can't imagine what goes on behind closed doors when they're making some decision. The directors probably all wear dark suits, Ray-Bans, big hats, and use numbers instead of names, except when discussing customers, referring to them as "Captive Suckers"

I just keep asking myself how I got saddled with them in the first place! Now that I am saddled with them, I'm going to be like Victor Meldrew on acid with them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

For features, TomTom One is the best, but a GPS is only as good as the Maps it has.

I was pondering the TomTom, so I did my usual test for GPS. I asked the sales agest to put in a few obscure addresses I know. TomTom found none.

Tried the same with Garmin Nuvi with version 9 NAVTEQ maps, found all of them. I bought the Garmin and it is an excellent GPS, best I have ever had (Iand I have been through alot of them). The model I bought was 660, the the lower models are just as good.

Demon3

Before I got the TomTom GO910, I already had a Garmin Foretrex201, not as pretty, but knew exactly what it did and what I was letting myself in for.
    Like a fool, I thought "Let's support the EU economy and not buy anything from the US!" That was how I ended up with a TomTit! I'm still getting the flashbacks and it makes my toes curl!
    I was even more annoyed when I discovered that, if you bought a TomTom in the US, you got free map updates up to the end of March 2007 on their latest version. Us poor Europeans just got shafted!
    Of course, Garmin being Number 1 in the US, TomTom has to go crawling, giving stuff away (it must make them wince, doing that!) trying to take over Garmin's lead.
    American TomTom users, on various other forums, seem very happy with TomTom and can't understand why non-US customers want to chip in and hire a few hit-men!

According to the guys in Pentagon GPS TOMTOM One Europe actually uses Navteq maps (same ones used in Garmin).
    and that's why they say in their FAQ:

Which is better Garmin Or Tom Tom?
    its not about tomtom or garmin its about the mapping
    we always Recommend all Garmin unit and the tomtom one v2 europe - becouse
    1, Navteq Mappping(better than Tele Atlas)

Do the right thing - go and get your hands on a Garmin. If someone stole my TomTom, I'd happily go and buy myself a Garmin, use it to navigate to the TomTom HQ in Amsterdam, s*** in their lobby, give 'em the finger and run away!. I'm just going to check the terms of my insurance policy.......

Lads,

Quick update from earlier, went and bought a new TomTom One Europe from Halfords in Carrickmines this evening. They had new stock in today so I ended up with the new TomTom v4 version! ;-) (You can tell this if the green box has no reference to "Sirfstar III" GPS on the outside it, which is the previous v3 version). The main difference seems to be a new GPS unit and no SD card supplied (there is 1Gb of internal memory).

If it helps anybody, the version numbers on my TomTom are:

TomTom One v4
    App 6.560
    Navteq maps v660.1256

Very happy with everything so far. Let me know if anyone needs any other info.

Cheers
    Nick

nickhx wrote:
    Lads,

Quick update from earlier, went and bought a new TomTom One Europe from Halfords in Carrickmines this evening. They had new stock in today so I ended up with the new TomTom v4 version! ;-) (You can tell this if the green box has no reference to "Sirfstar III" GPS on the outside it, which is the previous v3 version). The main difference seems to be a new GPS unit and no SD card supplied (there is 1Gb of internal memory).

If it helps anybody, the version numbers on my TomTom are:

TomTom One v4
    App 6.560
    Navteq maps v660.1256

Very happy with everything so far. Let me know if anyone needs any other info.

Cheers
    Nick

How much did it set you back?

299 Euro all in.

• Advertisement

nickhx wrote:
    299 Euro all in.

Looks like I have the same as you.. the green box yeah?

Did you notice that if you put the product code into their website that it tells you your maps are out of date?

Bad form really.. surely we should be getting the most up to date maps when we buy it.

thanks. Bought one today myself! Seems like a good price.
    tried it in the shop, didn't have my housing estate in it (charlesland in greystones) so wasn't too sure but well, I know where I live :)
    Will give it a lash today and tomorrow and will post feedback.

ok. First impressions: absolutely brilliant!
    Very easy to use, even my grandmother would be able to use it.
    Maps actually do cover our new-ish housing estate, I think the demo version they had in the shop was old.
    Will give you long term impressions later!

MuffinsDa wrote:
    ok. First impressions: absolutely brilliant!
    Very easy to use, even my grandmother would be able to use it.
    Maps actually do cover our new-ish housing estate, I think the demo version they had in the shop was old.
    Will give you long term impressions later!

I agree.. great bit of kit. Did you check the product number on the website to see if you have the latest maps??
    Also.. Have you had trouble taking it off the holder in the car!?

Just checked, it says I don't have the latest version! what's the story do you know?

I didn't try to take the whole holder out, only took the device off and left the holder attached to the windscreen. Wasn't terribly easy but wasn't that hard either!

Don't worry about the maps for the moment -- the newer maps just released by TomTom are the Teleatlas maps (v6.75), which I believe are not as good as the navteq ones which you currently have (V6.6).

I'm trying to get confirmation from TomTom whether they will be providing updates to the navteq maps in future.

Cheers
    Nick

I bought my Tomtom one europe last week and it came with Navteq maps. When I saw from the tomtom website that I didnt have the latest maps, i.e. there was a newer version available, I sent a stinky email saying I should get the update for free.

Surprisingly, they've asked me to scan and email my receipt and product code and they'll give me the new western europe map for free.

Im undecided now though.. Having read the posts on the forum here, I'm wondering whether I should stick with the navteq maps I have or, upgrade to the newer teleatlas ones.

Any ideas before I take the plunge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭ryker

hi trotter don't mean to go over old ground i would like to buy a tom tom one but just like the advice in halfords getting the right gps is a bit hit and miss

2 quick questions do halfords have only the new version of the tom tom or both the old and new also when i checked the price it is 349:99 in halfords it is also that price on the tom tom web site

ryker wrote:
    hi trotter don't mean to go over old ground i would like to buy a tom tom one but just like the advice in halfords getting the right gps is a bit hit and miss

2 quick questions do halfords have only the new version of the tom tom or both the old and new also when i checked the price it is 349:99 in halfords it is also that price on the tom tom web site

No idea! I bought mine from Amazon because when I rang my local Halfords, they said it was €349 and I knew I'd get it cheaper than that.

• Advertisement

Hi Ryker,

I bought my TomTom Europe from Carrickmines Halfords last Friday and they charged me 299 Euro all in for it. It also came with the latest navteq maps (which are the best ones for Ireland at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

Tomtom ONE is €249.99 in PC world. TomTom Europe is €349 if Iam not mistaken.

Regarding maps, only the latest Navteq have complete Republic of Ireland maps. Teleatlas is missing most minor roads, and have very limited maps outside the major towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Yung66

TomTom Buyers Beware. TomTom has dissolved its contract with Navteq and will no longer support or upgrade their existing maps. It will be all Teleatlas crap from now on. Their latest v675 upgrade is now Teleatlas. As we all know Navteq maps are the only ones offering comprehensive covereage of our roads and streets. If you live in Ireland, do not buy TomTom. You will be sorry. I am !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Yung66 wrote:
    TomTom Buyers Beware. TomTom has dissolved its contract with Navteq and will no longer support or upgrade their existing maps. It will be all Teleatlas crap from now on. Their latest v675 upgrade is now Teleatlas. As we all know Navteq maps are the only ones offering comprehensive covereage of our roads and streets. If you live in Ireland, do not buy TomTom. You will be sorry. I am !

Don't talk rubbish ! While v6.75 is a step back from version 6.60 , it still has decent coverage of this Island . I have both running on TT910 for comparison and so far have found a few roads missing on .75 compared to .660 , however the opposite is also true .

What version are you using ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

sharkman wrote:
    The safest thing to do is to take the unit out of the box before purchase , start it up and go through the menu to find what maps are installed .

I can post a step by step guide on this if necessary ( But will be away from PC for an hour or two) Its easy .

Hi,
    Has anybody looked at the coverage for Italy on the latest maps? Wondering what it is like around Pisa, Florence and Siena.
    I am new to this so any advice appreciated.

:confused:

Advertisement