Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Ammunition

Options
  • 19-04-2007 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi, I have just got my licence for a .22 Krico. I have the normal subs & HV rounds, but can you get tracer (is it legal)?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

don't know about the legality but very hard to get i'd say even if legal

what type of subs you using Eley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Dunno myself for sure but I would nearly guarantee they don't , for a start they are only .22's cheap and simple and dispossible and no one would bother to make them (In the same way that you can't get equipment to reload them) The other reason that would expect they don't exist is because .22's are rarely shot out to distances greater than 120yards** or so, so there is little or no chance to even spot the tracer. And this is all before you do get to the point of their legality . Would I be intruding to ask why you would want them for other than the gimmicky side?

**(que millions of stories of 200 yard bunnies)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

they are made but never seen them here

http://www.outlandsales.com/tracer22.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Series_iii

I use Eley subs and Winchester HVs. The tracer was just for a bit of fun.

Yeah , to true, I always did want to try a tracer or two just for a larf.

I know I'm going completely off topic here but would there be a large amount of heat generated and say if you were to shot a Bunny would it burn the flesh in anyway ? Might lead to a slightly inhumane death if it was not killed outright for whatever reason. There must be heat involved anyway because if you have ever seen the program that Jeremy Clarkson did on the history of guns he managed to set some scrub land on fire with tracers from a LMG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The only reason you need tracers are to "walk" your rounds into a target at night, if every second or third round is a tracer you can see the direction and trajectory of where you are shooting. It would only really function in assault rifles, for a bolt action .22 the rate of fire would not really be effective for this, though perhaps if you are shooting foxes etc at night you could make use of them?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

they have , i think phospherous at the base of the round

Yeah so it could have thesame effect as a "Willie Pete" grenade in that case (the white phospherous grenades used in the vietnam era that stuck to and burned skin) . But if they have been outlawed from use , why not tracer rounds ? Although I suppose probably very rarely would it actually have and effect and certainly nothing of that of the gunshot wound itself. Anyway , don't mind me , just thinking out loud here , but this is completely off topic so I will stop.

Tracer would be handy as the last round in the mag, as a reminder. I plan to replace the .22 I have with either a bruno or a ruger 10/22, but have not decided which one yet. Anything you hit with a tracer would not be fit for the pot. I just fancy a bit of experimentaion using tracer, I guess it would be pretty expensive compared to standard ammo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It certainly used to be available here, but I haven't seen it for sale for many years.
    In .22LR, it's sole use is for fun and games, as it's ballistically different to pretty much all other types of ammunition; indeed, the ballistics of the bullet change during flight as the flare material burns up.
    They are also ludicrously inconsistent, with no two bullets impacting the same place no matter how well clamped down the gun is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Indeed...

Last place I remember seeing it was "Watt's Bros" on the quays in Dublin.
    That was many moons ago....

It was good fun ...but useless !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Rovi wrote:
    It certainly used to be available here, but I haven't seen it for sale for many years.
    In .22LR, it's sole use is for fun and games, as it's ballistically different to pretty much all other types of ammunition; indeed, the ballistics of the bullet change during flight as the flare material burns up.
    They are also ludicrously inconsistent, with no two bullets impacting the same place no matter how well clamped down the gun is.

That was alos the reason why they weren't used after a while during WWII. If you saw your tracers hit the target you could be sure the other "normal" bullets did not (they went too short or too high in 80 % of the cases). Also, it gave away your position to the enemy. In some cases tracers were put in to let the shooter know that he just fired the last round and it was time to change. It also let the enemy know that you were out of ammo.

As for the .22 tracer: maglites link further up also contains the warning only to shoot the tracers at appropriate ranges - because they have been known to start gorse fires in open countryside during dry seasons.

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Tracer would be handy as the last round in the mag, as a reminder. I plan to replace the .22 I have with either a bruno or a ruger 10/22,

did you not say you had a krico .22? that is a quality rifle and if its the older type they have a trigger like no other, i wouldnt put a ruger in the same league for build quality, but thats just me, european rifle fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tracer would be handy as the last round in the mag, as a reminder.
    Really? I always thought that was what the *click* noise was for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

did you not say you had a krico .22? that is a quality rifle and if its the older type they have a trigger like no other, i wouldnt put a ruger in the same league for build quality, but thats just me, european rifle fan.

I agree. Krico or Kriegskorte is a very fine rifle. If it suits you and you get good results I would say: stick with it. ;)

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Gun Gallery in Drogheda had em a while back. As Rovi said though, mad yokes to shboot:eek:

My Krico has some historic value, I was looking to sell it and replace my shotgun and .22.

I think I favour the Bruno as it's direct replacement.

The Krico is a model 302 EA, fitted with a Kassnar 3-9X sight.

how old is it lad?

Not sure of the age, it formally belonged to CJ Haughey, so I guess it is at least a couple of decades old.

thanks big fella........
    jobs for the boys. how much you be looking for same?

• Advertisement

The price is around the €2,200 mark at the moment, but I'm not in any great rush to part with it yet.

dont be, i have a krico myself, bought it ten years ago second hand and there is not a 22 made i would exchange it for, my brother is looking for one so keep me posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Series_iii wrote:
    The price is around the €2,200 mark at the moment, but I'm not in any great rush to part with it yet.

I'm taking that you mean the recently departed CJ Haughey ,and NOT CJ Haughey who posts here:D

Yes, it was the recently departed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It was a gift.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Man i'd love a Krico although i do have a very nice specimen of a 1970's brno 581 semi........

tradsies??

Could you post up a pic or two

Here it is:

has that got palm swell and raised cheek piece? the action looks same as mine but i have way darker timber

I will take some close ups and post them tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Do you have any documentation going back to CJ,like a old firearms cert or bill of sale or anything?Any gun with paperwork to a famous owner secures it's collector value.:)

Advertisement