Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity in the Shed

Options
  • 19-04-2007 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has brought electricity supply to their sheds? We live in a 2 bed and the fridge they've provided is way too small for us. We have a bigger fridge from our previous house but the only place we can have it is in the shed. Has anyone brought electricity to their shed? I can get a feed from inside the house through the vent and outdoor cables running across the fence but I think that'll be against electrical safety regulation. Does anyone know what's the RIGHT way for doing that?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you would have to bring it from th fiseboard and the shed would need its own seperate fuse for fire safety.

then either float the cable in the ar (unsightly) or bring it underground to the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

you would have to bring it from th fiseboard and the shed would need its own seperate fuse for fire safety.

then either float the cable in the ar (unsightly) or bring it underground to the shed.

Thanks alot.
    Yep that's the proper way but it's a bit more than my DIY capabilities, especially brining a cable from fuseboard all the way to the other side of the house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You should be able to run a cable along the length of your house from the fuseboard by going behind the skirting, in much the same way as TnJ did with the pipe for his tap.

No doubt Astro will come along, blow my theory out of the water and try to sell you cable at 200% markup!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I don't have anymore to add! But I don't mind marking up.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You'll need to use an armoured cable for an outside application, you'll also need an independant RCD/MCBO in your shed. If you're not qualified to carry out the works yourself you should try and contact a qualified electricain. God forbid, but if anything ever happened you could have problems with your insurance not to mention other risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the felt was blown off the roof of my shed last winter and the same thing happened to 3 of my neighbors this winter just gone. Everything in the shed got wet as a result - not a big deal, but I wouldn't have wanted anything electric in there at the time. These sheds are not particularly well constructed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

I have a heater for my dog during the winter and we just use one of those 50m extension leads. We run the wire along a wall. Works for us...

Advertisement