Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a dog run - tips & advice please

Options
  • 19-04-2007 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am going to build a dog run out the back of my house to keep our beautiful boxer safe and out of harms way at night and if we head in to town. She has a big garden to run around in while we are there.

Any ideas on what I should use for the fencing and flooring? Would a wooden fence suffice or should it be chain link? How high then? I know boxers can leap and jump pretty high but our girl has never learned how to jump walls or fences, so may not need something that high.

For the flooring, should it be sand, concrete, grass, other? I know horse stables have this lovely foam tile that is comfortable for them. Would this work for a dog? Ideally, I want something clean so our girl doesn't create a little mud bath if it was raining.

Please, although I appreciate many differing points of view, I really only want advice on the construction of the dog run and not receive comments about the merits or otherwise of the use of a dog run. I would be more than happy to participate in a separate thread. Construction advice only please.

Thanks & Kind Regards,

Alan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

concrete is very good for flooring as you can bleach and disinfect. Put a drain in as it is hard to lift runny matter and better to wash. 6ft for a boxer is good. remember if she is in heat you don't want a dog to jump in. make sure she can't chew her why out. and chain and pad lock. u don't want any one to steal her.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

in a similar thread someone mentioned www.cilldara.ie for dog runs and they
    look the biz.i'd say concrete floor would be best or silica sand if the run is covered,
    easier to clean up dog mess from dry sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hi i did my own dog run in jan. It is cement and i put aerofoam undertheat for insulation (sad i know) anyhow i surrounded it with builders fencing. Each section is 11ft long and 7ft high. The "feet" that hold these are also cement and i sank them in level with the floor. I used a huge amount of cable ties (very cheap) to ensure the stability of each fence on 3 sections and then the 4th just pops in and out and acts as a gate way.

Worked out cheap enough in the end and really works a treat and gives me great peace of mind.

Best of luck with your project

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

We just built a run at home after our dogs started running through the radio fence! waste of 400 euro lol

We used 3x3 wooden posts 8' high and cemented these into the ground, I think we used 20 altogether but it is a fairly large run! They cost us about 9 euro each I think!
    Then attached chain link all around, the chain link was €85 for 25metres.
    Then weaved in the strengthening wire through the bottom to keep it tight and stop them from being able to lift up the bottom of the wire.

For added security we secured wooden planks all the way around the outside from post to post to make sure they didnt get any ideas of trying to dig their way under!

Advertisement