Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

central heating

Options
  • 19-04-2007 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Central heating wont work?

Hi I have an "ideal mini s" boiler and it's not workiong. The hot water works fine but my the central heating wont come on?

The bolier works for heathing up the hot water, but the central heating is just not working? A couple of weeks back there was a burst water pipe locally and the water went off, I have a feeling that the central heating went around the same time. Can anyone recommend anything I could try before goin g to the hassle of getting a plumber. I live in a duplex apartment that has it's own pump if that makes any difference. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

First of all ,locate your thermostat and make sure it's turned up all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

_Brian_ wrote:
    First of all ,locate your thermostat and make sure it's turned up all the way.

ye Ive done all that I reckon its something more than that, very hard to get plumbing advise on the internet. Plumbers don't seem too use it :confused:

I'm here online now and so you seem to be ,if you have hot water and your house is over a few years old ,your motorized valve may be broke.

It could be a few things to be honest ,but the thermostat being turned down happens a lot to be honest.

_Brian_ wrote:
    I'm here online now and so you seem to be ,if you have hot water and your house is over a few years old ,your motorized valve may be broke.

It could be a few things to be honest ,but the thermostat being turned down happens a lot to be honest.

oh excellant, well it's only a new apartment and I think it must have happened when the water went, I asked a builder but he said that was just a coincidence so maybe it is. It just seems weird coz the boiler is lighting fine for the hot water and not for the central heating. Seems like a fuse or something but then again I haven't a clue

You probably have a tall green cylinder in a press along the hall.
    Turn on your heating ,turn your room thermostat all the way up ,go to the hot press and see if you can find a small white box on a copper pipe.
    It should be in there ,make sure it has an orange light ,lighting.

If you can do that ,it's a start to knowing whats going on with your heating.

• Advertisement

ok so heres whats in the press Brian with the boiler, click on this link

http://www.olgadesigner.com/temp.html

Your boiler is coming up on the internet as a combi boiler I think ,which means your problems may lie with the boiler controls.

Make sure you have water pressure at the boiler ,sometimes certain combi boilers won't operate below a certain pressure in the heating. It should be at 1 or more on the Dial.
    Have a flick through your user instructions ,they can be very helpful.

I'm afraid I would have to have a look at it to help you further.

_Brian_ wrote:
    Your boiler is coming up on the internet as a combi boiler I think ,which means your problems may lie with the boiler controls.

Make sure you have water pressure at the boiler ,sometimes certain combi boilers won't operate below a certain pressure in the heating. It should be at 1 or more on the Dial.
    Have a flick through your user instructions ,they can be very helpful.

I'm afraid I would have to have a look at it to help you further.

no worries thanks anyway, I think I'll have to get a plumber

Advertisement