Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up mobile phone for text service

Options
  • 19-04-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hello,
    We're currently doing our final year project that incorporates a text back element. Basically, car co-ordinates are sent back to a user when they SMS into a number.

We've a nokia phone, I understand a cable and nokia suite are necessary. We're using ASP C# for our application.
    Could anyone suggest a procedure for going ahead with this. I've looked at a number of websites to receive texts without us having to use a phone but they're either extremely expensive or dodgy,

Any advice much appreciated!
    David.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Look for a GSM modem for your PC, this will allow you to send and receive texts from a computer.

You just need to stick a sim card into it and plug it in

eg.
    http://www.logixmobile.com/products/swiftsms/index.asp
    http://www.roundsolutions.com/gsm-modem/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Is that not a bit pricey Sean?
    We've an extremely small budget unfortunately..
    Could you suggest where we'd get one? If it's going to cost alot then there's no point..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'd say you'd be talking at least a hundred euro, but I don't really have much experience in the field.There's a link to one in my edited post above. That's all I can really suggest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Thanks for your help but unfortunately it's out of our league. We'll have to investigate using the handset with a free sim card we have to act as an sms gateway or use an external site (costly again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

have you tried www.clickatell.com? they have a two way sms system... not that expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi, I did something similar for my final year project

Interfacing a GSM terminal with a Microconverter for Remote Data Logging

Wind Speeds and Wind Direction were recorded remotely via an anemometer and Analog Microconverter and transferred via SMS using a Siemens mobile phone to a base station (Computer connected to a Siemens TC35 module) This data was then stored at base and analyzed graphed, rates calculated etc etc.

The second part of the project was the design of a SMS car alarm, a working model was built using a model car. A simple home made car alarm was installed into the model car and was controlled by an Analog Microconverter, when a door was opened or the car was moved the car alarm would sound and the user would receive an SMS on their phone. The user could then reply to deactivate the alarm, the user also had the option of resetting the alarm.

Not sure if nokia phones are the way to go, can't really use AT commands with them? The siemens tc35 module worked for us fine! You should get onto phone shops they might be able to sort you out with something?

Gary

Advertisement