Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Farm Close to Dublin

Options
  • 19-04-2007 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good pet farm close to Dublin (Naas Rd area) suitable for bringing twenty 3 year olds to for a visit? There was an excellent one close to Kill that we went to last year but that has since closed.

The zoo was discussed but all the mammies & daddies prefer a farm.

Thank you.

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

There is a great one in naul or a new one opened on easter sunday in pudding hill, dont know what that one's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Gosh that was quick.

We liked that Larchill park - quite easy for us to get to and looks like there's loads to do. Will let you know how we get on in June.

Thank you again.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

That Larchill place looks great. I never heard of it before and only live 20 mins from it. Will definately be paying a visit during the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dummy wrote:
    Gosh that was quick.

We liked that Larchill park - quite easy for us to get to and looks like there's loads to do. Will let you know how we get on in June.

Thank you again.

D

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

Newbridge farm is very good, we brought our son up there last weekend, quite cheap too.

We were also in Glenroe farm a couple of weeks back, it's good too but fairly small. They let the children hold the rabbits etc and the animals are quite close for the kids to see. My son loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We've been to Newgrange and Glenroe and found both good. Still you can't beat Dublin Zoo. If you plan to go regularly, a subscription to Dublin Zoo will work out well

It's well known in south Dublin, but I would not recommend Airfield in Dundrum
    MyBaby wrote:
    We were also in Glenroe farm a couple of weeks back, it's good too but fairly small. They let the children hold the rabbits etc and the animals are quite close for the kids to see. My son loved it.

My eldest daughter loved feeding grass to the rabbits and guinea pigs over there

Cheers, Thaedydal. I hadn't heard about Larchill before and it is very convenient for us to get to. I'll check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

I'd second Larch hill gardens :)

You should check out this site too, it'll be so much help during the summer! I came accross it by accident one evening.

www.entertainingthekids.ie

Deb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I'll second the one in Naul, though well out of the way for the OP. We've had birthday parties there and it's a great place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Hi there,

I promised to come back to tell you about Larchill. We brought 25 3 year olds to Larchill and everyone had a ball. The park was very interesting and had a very wide range of animals. They have a coffee shop and a nice large room for the kids to sit and eat their packed lunches in and a small play area off this room.

But I have to say that the staff were fantastic - very accomodating and very patient with such a large group of youngsters. And our guide who brought us around the farm was lovely - she kept everyone amused & informed.

All in all, we had a lovely day. Would I go back? Yes I would.

Thank you all for the recommendation. We had a great day for our Summer trip.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Well, there's Reptile Village in Gowran Village about 23km from Dublin.

They have snakes, lizards, crocodiles, frogs and spiders. You get to interact with harmless species as well as seeing the dangerous kinds from behind glass.

www.reptilevillage.net

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

I came accross this place - although i havnt been there it has a good reputation - its near the Dundrum Town Centre

http://www.airfield.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

i went to the airfield trust place and it was amazing... all the animals are really young and they have a lot of animals in there...i even held a lamb...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 james53

The Glenroe Pet Farm is a good place for smaller kids - not too crowded and we got gr8 photographs with rabbits, horses & cows etc.

I also came across Shrule Pet Farm in Wexford - I haven't been there myself but all reports say it good.

Found a new website that has gr8 ideas for kids fun - see www.fundays.ie - plenty of stuff for all ages - hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 WexfordDad

Guys - I was on before but really can't over hype www.fundays.ie - went to the Kennedy Arborteum at the weekend with the kids - never even knew it existed.

All dedicated to JFK etc.. excellent for those looking for a bit of culture !

Had to make it up to the kids and found a new place in gorey via fundays which is like a Kidzone type with the usual ball ponds etc. Difference was - this one is new and spotlessly clean.

Yes - I am a bit odd when it comes to those places - no sticky floors for me !!!:D

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

JFK aboretum is a great place if you're in the south wexford area - huge parkland with loads of space for running around, or riding bikes if you have them with you, great childrens playground, cafe, miniature train (though this was out of commission last time we were there). theres also lots of rabbits and stoats running around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Sorry guys i know this is an old thread but does anyone know where the pet farm is in naul ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Sorry guys i know this is an old thread but does anyone know where the pet farm is in naul ?
    I'd imagine this is the place. :)

http://www.reynoldstownanimalfarm.org/index.php

(IBTL!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 olafshiel

I took my family out to a place called Clonfert Pet Farm in Kildare. I have to say they loved it. The whole family cost us €15 for the day. They had a lot of animals, a bouncy castle, picnic area, cafe and any kids under three are free! You can find them via their web at www.clonfertpetfarm.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The farm in Naul is the Reynoldstown Farm. In my personal experience it isn't great. That's not to say others opinions won't differ.

I can highly recommend Larchhill, Airfield, Newgrange & Causey Farms. Top of the list being the Causey Farm even if it is a bit of a trek.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Causey is worth the trip!We bring school tours there every 3 years and it's always a great day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Having tried most of the ones within spitting distance of South Dublin, I can definitely recommend the Kia Ora Mini Farm in Arklow: http://www.kiaoraminifarm.com

Absolutely excellent set-up, loads of animals for the kids to pet, a ride in a converted fire-truck and a big play area full of toy-tractors, trikes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's a new one near Maynooth, called Clonfert pet farm. It's well signposted if you drive on the main road from Maynooth to Naas

Plenty of different animals and the kids are allowed (even encouraged) to feed them. Hay, food and even milky bottles are provided so the kids can feed even the baby animals

It's a family setup and all staff are very nice and always willing to engage and chat about the animals

And on top, it's probably cheaper than any of the other places in the greater Dublin area (€15 per family)

Go there, you won't be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Fingalgal

Eoineo wrote: »
    The farm in Naul is the Reynoldstown Farm. In my personal experience it isn't great.QUOTE]

Second this. Was there today and thought it completely dilapidated. There were nettles growing all around the cages that housed the hens and rabbits, in fact everywhere on the farm and not safe for my 3 year old and 18 month old. My youngest almost fell into a ditch that was not fenced off to such dangers. I have been to a petting farm in Lahinch in Clare which was fantastic in comparison. Will check out Newgrange next as have seen good reports about it.

Advertisement