Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolf/Hybrid Pups...Where can i buy one?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DamoEvo

hi there...

have read a few mentions on here on wolf hybrids etc and a few people sayin they have been looking for them but has anyone actually has a positive result and actually bought one/some?

iam currently starting to look for these but as it stands i only know of the guy thats on the main road between gorey/arklow.ive called into him and he has them in white which is the ones iam after but afterwards ive heard they are a bad breed??and for €1000 i want the best dog i can find...

can anyone help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you really want, as you say, "the best dog you can find" ...then get a dog and not a hybrid.

Mixing dogs and wolves doesn't usually result in "better" dogs but in unpredictable wolves :eek:

If its wolf looks you're after, have a look at Huskies or Malamutes (but don't forget about the hunting issues that both breeds have)

A lot of so called "wolf hybrids" for sale are Husky or Malamute mixes anyway (no wolves involved whatsoever).

Also have a look at this post from EGAR in an earlier thread on this topic:
    EGAR wrote:
    There is a sucker born every minute! Lots of peeps make money by selling wolf hybrids which turn out to be Husky crosses etc pp. The actual HYBRID is very rare and requires a wildlife licence ;).

And if you are thinking about getting one then read on...

Meet Chieftain:

p698273.jpg

Chief arrived here with his parents, the dad a Timberwolf and the mom a Canadian Shepherd. Some sick individuel tried to make money with them. Ahh, one thinks, why ever not? If you cross a wolf with a dog you don't get a better dog, you get a creature that does not know where it belongs to. Chieftain is extremely vocal, he howls at night (well, hello neighbour!!), he just likes to chat. He also cannot bear a roof over his head, it freaks him out, so good bye indoor wolfie AND he has big problems with other dogs... Hm, still interested? Well, read on: one needs a wildlife licence to keep such an animal, if you don't and are being found out, you face fines/jail and have your animal impounded.

Chieftain has a sister as well, she was raised in loving enviroment of peeps who have massive dog experience - and guess what? She was on her way to me as well as living with a Hybrid isn't all that easy...

Why on Earth anyone would want a hybrid is beyond my understanding unless it's for one reason only: LOOK what I've got on the lead.

And that just makes me :confused: .

PS @ EGAR
    hope you don't mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I don't understand this wolf hybrid craze either,people come on here to ask about them presumably because they don't know anything about them.
    But i just want one?This is madness.
    If i'm choosing a dog i'll want a dog that is loyal,intelligent,effectionet ect ect.
    What are you getting with a wolf? I DON'T KNOW I JUST WANT ONE!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

I agree 100% with the 2 above, a hybrid would not make a great pet. Why not go for a Saarloos woulfhound instead?

Annika

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That post by EGAR needs stickying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

macshadow wrote:
    I don't understand this wolf hybrid craze

It looks "kewl"

A sense of power over being in charge of a "wild animal" in a life where a person is never really in charge of much.

Being slightly threatening having a potentialy dangerous animal on the lead.

A sense of mysticism

Having something that no one else has.

Can you kennel these dogs when your on holiday? Does the normal shots and kennel cough work? What are the hunting instincts like regarding noises, kids...etc. Is there hybred vigour problems with the mix?

I met a family in South Africa, they had a neutered male one. It was really aggressive and stressed when I was it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

You never know what you're getting, I'd say any Husky/German Shepherd mix will look enough like a wolf for most people to part with their cash in exchange for a "wolf hybrid".

• Registered Users Posts: 54,408 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

peasant wrote:
    If its wolf looks you're after, have a look at Huskies or Malamutes (but don't forget about the hunting issues that both breeds have)

i was always thinking of buying a huskey type do some day

what are Malamute like

i saw one in crufts really good looking dog too

and what do you mean by hunting issues

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

All "nordic" breeds (Huskies, Malamutes, Eskimo dogs and to some degree Elkhounds) have retained very strong hunting instincts because originally during the summer season they were usually released by their owners to look after themselves and then the survivors were gathered again in autumn for the next sledge pulling season.

Some of them also have a very strong independent streak and are not the most co-operative of dogs, which is understandable, considering the above.

On top of this the Malamute is a very big and strong dog, so not really recommended for beginners.

And all of them need a fair amount of excercise.

Satisfying this need for excercise while at the same time preventing them form hunting is not an easy task. You can't just let them off the lead to run ...they might run and never come back :D, or worse, come back with a sheep between their teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

I have huskies and I love them to bits. I researched them for ten years before I got my first. I only got her because I am not working as I am at home looking after my kids. I have the time to work with them. huskies need a lot of attention. They do not like to be on there own. DO NOT GET A HUSKY IF YOU WORK FULL TIME. They will and have killed cats and other pets. They need a lot of excerise . 6MILES a day by bike runs. They need good food and it costs. No cheap foods. They can not be trained of the lead they will not come back. They are not guard dogs and they will go with any one. They will chew through any thing and every thing.ie. £110 jeans my son£45 sand pit. footballs, beds leather sofas. They are not an inside dog they will dig up your plants. Mine are on contreat 7f steal fencing and chained and locked, so they can't get out and no one can get in. I do not recomend to a first time dog owner. Please only buy from proper breeders. do not bye for eye colour or coat as it doesn't change what type of dog it is. See hip and eye score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nanuq

yes there is a guy that i got my pup from they are well bread and his new litter is ready in 2 to 3 weeks if your intrested il help you get in touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

DamoEvo wrote: »
    hi there...

have read a few mentions on here on wolf hybrids etc and a few people sayin they have been looking for them but has anyone actually has a positive result and actually bought one/some?

iam currently starting to look for these but as it stands i only know of the guy thats on the main road between gorey/arklow.ive called into him and he has them in white which is the ones iam after but afterwards ive heard they are a bad breed??and for €1000 i want the best dog i can find...

can anyone help??
    there is a breeder just neer gorey, i think the village is called inch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nanuq wrote: »
    yes there is a guy that i got my pup from they are well bread and his new litter is ready in 2 to 3 weeks if your intrested il help you get in touch

The thread is two years old!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pronoia

Hi I am looking for a wolf pup. Can you help?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Irish wolf hound thumps wolf. :D

Are their different types of wolf hound? I've seen pictures of some that look very much like huge wolfs and other that look nothing like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The date of the origional post 19-04-2007, 21:36 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Anyone looking for a wolf hybrid is surely wanting one for the looks? I can't imagine that it would be for anything else.... In which case- I'd recommend the Northern Inuit dog. They're a relatively new breed, around for 20 years or so, and were specifically bred to
    1: look wolf-like,
    2: be highly trainable,
    3: family oriented
    4: non-aggressive

In their breeding is Inuit dog, Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky and German Shepherd. The GSD was added for trainability purposes, and to take away the recall problems of the Mal and Husky. They're pure clowns, affectionate, playful, stunning looking, easy enough to train, they back down if challenged by another dog, they're big pussies really!
    They were developed in the UK, and there is only one NID breeder in Ireland- she moved here from the UK 2 years ago.
    I have 2 NIDs, Denali and Juneau... they're fantastic dogs. The only negatives about this breed are
    1: they cannot be alone...they will howl the house down, they need the company of another dog- they love to be with their humans, mine are indoor pets because of this.
    2: they have a fascination with reaching Australia via the back garden! They'll dig like loons!
    3: they can be destructive (like any other breed) so they need watching. In their 'Destroy CV' is a nintendo ds, kitchen chairs, cds and dvds, remote controls, cordless phones, sunglasses, teatowels, tv/pc cables, the post, books, xmas tree decorations, mobile phone, calculator....the list is long and I could go on for ages!
    I wouldn't change them for the world though! I have 3 kids, and the boys are fantastic with them.
    They'll let you know someone's at the door or hanging around outside, but that's where their courage ends lol!

Here's a pic or 2.....

PB070014-1.jpg

PC040022-1.jpg

P1050010p.jpg

And more here....http://www.irishdogs.ie/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7739

And here....http://www.irishdogs.ie/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9934&title=boys-will-be-boys

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Call me socket---Those dogs are beautiful.

Thank you:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭redroisin

I would like to see the keeping and breeding of wolf and wolf hybrids made illegal...as has been said already, they are wild animals and no matter what you do or how well you train them, once they reach 2yrs old they become upredictable and aggressive. Its not their fault, wolves and wild dogs have different brains from domesticated dogs so PLEASE, if you like the look of the wolf........buy a malumute or similar!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Call me socket---Those dogs are beautiful.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Firstly i dont agree with wolf /hybrids just look at Egars post one reason why.Also a lot of people are breeding huskies/malamutes to Gsds and saying they are wolfhybrids.If i was foolish enough to go looking for one i would want dna to prove the wolf breeding .Also someone in the uk was crossing pyreneen mountain dogs with huskys and saying they where wolf hybrids.If one did get a hybrid what life would it have the wild side would alwya be there and as the saying goes its neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring .Please think on it also wolves and proper hybrids are usually very ill or can die just by giving them vaccines or even wormers .

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Anyone looking for a wolf hybrid is surely wanting one for the looks? I can't imagine that it would be for anything else.... In which case- I'd recommend the Northern Inuit dog. They're a relatively new breed, around for 20 years or so, and were specifically bred to
    1: look wolf-like,
    2: be highly trainable,
    3: family oriented
    4: non-aggressive

In their breeding is Inuit dog, Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky and German Shepherd. The GSD was added for trainability purposes, and to take away the recall problems of the Mal and Husky. They're pure clowns, affectionate, playful, stunning looking, easy enough to train, they back down if challenged by another dog, they're big pussies really!
    They were developed in the UK, and there is only one NID breeder in Ireland- she moved here from the UK 2 years ago.
    I have 2 NIDs, Denali and Juneau... they're fantastic dogs. The only negatives about this breed are
    1: they cannot be alone...they will howl the house down, they need the company of another dog- they love to be with their humans, mine are indoor pets because of this.
    2: they have a fascination with reaching Australia via the back garden! They'll dig like loons!
    3: they can be destructive (like any other breed) so they need watching. In their 'Destroy CV' is a nintendo ds, kitchen chairs, cds and dvds, remote controls, cordless phones, sunglasses, teatowels, tv/pc cables, the post, books, xmas tree decorations, mobile phone, calculator....the list is long and I could go on for ages!
    I wouldn't change them for the world though! I have 3 kids, and the boys are fantastic with them.
    They'll let you know someone's at the door or hanging around outside, but that's where their courage ends lol!

Here's a pic or 2.....

PB070014-1.jpg

PC040022-1.jpg

P1050010p.jpg

And more here....http://www.irishdogs.ie/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7739

And here....http://www.irishdogs.ie/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9934&title=boys-will-be-boys
    Great pics

Morganna wrote: »
    Firstly i dont agree with wolf /hybrids just look at Egars post one reason why.Also a lot of people are breeding huskies/malamutes to Gsds and saying they are wolfhybrids.If i was foolish enough to go looking for one i would want dna to prove the wolf breeding .Also someone in the uk was crossing pyreneen mountain dogs with huskys and saying they where wolf hybrids.If one did get a hybrid what life would it have the wild side would alwya be there and as the saying goes its neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring .Please think on it also wolves and proper hybrids are usually very ill or can die just by giving them vaccines or even wormers .

I agree....
    The Northern Inuit is 100% dog. The only wolf in them is the very diluted wolf ancestry, since all dogs descended from the wolf.
    The Northern Inuit Society website, for anyone who's interested: http://www.the-northern-inuit-society.com/inthebeginning.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I agree....
    The Northern Inuit is 100% dog. The only wolf in them is the very diluted wolf ancestry, since all dogs descended from the wolf.
    The Northern Inuit Society website, for anyone who's interested: http://www.the-northern-inuit-society.com/inthebeginning.htm

Whats sitka if not a NID btw? Hard to tell from the photo. Gorgeous looking dogs btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rachel 999

SO YOU ALL WANT TO HAVE A DOG ( WOLF ) BECAUSE OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. DO ME A FAVOUR, GET A PICTURE OR A DVD. THESE ARE LIVING BREEDING CREATURES WITH MINDS , INSTINCTS , SIMPLE RULES OF HUNT , BREED , REPRODUCE. YOU CANNOT JOIN THEIR WORLD , THEY DONT WANT TO JOIN OURS. YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH AN ANIMAL'S LOYALTY, DEVOTION, NOT THEY WAY IT LOOKS. YES SOMETHING PRETTY CAN BE NICE TO LIVE WITH AND PLEASING TO THE EYE BUT HOW LONG DO THESE TYPE OF RELATIONSHIPS LAST FOR. DO THESE BREEDS A JUSTICE AND LEAVE THEM LIVING IN THE PART OF THE COLD WORLD THEY WERE MEANT TO WORK IN.:):):)

jimi_t wrote: »
    Whats sitka if not a NID btw? Hard to tell from the photo. Gorgeous looking dogs btw

Hi, Jimi, Sitka is a crossbreed- Japanese Spitz X Sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog) He's a rescue dog from Dogs in Distress/Ashton Pound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

peasant wrote: »
    If you really want, as you say, "the best dog you can find" ...then get a dog and not a hybrid.

Mixing dogs and wolves doesn't usually result in "better" dogs but in unpredictable wolves :eek:

A lot of so called "wolf hybrids" for sale are Husky or Malamute mixes anyway (no wolves involved whatsoever).

Also have a look at this post from EGAR in an earlier thread on this topic:

PS @ EGAR
    hope you don't mind ?

WOW he really does look like a wolf. Absolutely gorgeous. I've also heard talk about people breeding wolves and wolf hybrids. i didn't know about the law side and licenses though. That's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

cloudy day wrote: »
    :D:D:D funny. Although I don't think there is actually a law against owning big cats in this country, can anyone verify that.

nope you can do it if you want!they just need paperwork!but you dont need a licence or anything!you cant keep them up the north though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

An advert appeared on this thread last week; British Colombia; and it is illegal in Canada. Also the very low price of the pups indicated it is a puppy farm...

When we challenged it( Our Mother House is in Canada and we work there in Animal Welfare alongside the SPCA, the advert and my mail vanished..

But I had already sent the details off; and since the chimp for sale affair here, the SPCA keep a watch in these boards.

There are strict laws there re exporting wild life so we are glad of any help in stopping this.

Because, as you say, these are wild animals.

I remember reading here a long while ago re someone in Leitrim keeping wolves and living with them? And breeding them also.
    redroisin wrote: »
    I would like to see the keeping and breeding of wolf and wolf hybrids made illegal...as has been said already, they are wild animals and no matter what you do or how well you train them, once they reach 2yrs old they become upredictable and aggressive. Its not their fault, wolves and wild dogs have different brains from domesticated dogs so PLEASE, if you like the look of the wolf........buy a malumute or similar!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I see there is an add on done deal again now selling them. (wolf hybrids) but they look more like GSD x

Advertisement