Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolf/Hybrid Pups...Where can i buy one?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Yes, and I see also that a man in Leitrim has ten male pups for sale..
    cloudy day wrote: »
    I see there is an add on done deal again now selling them. (wolf hybrids) but they look more like GSD x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

EGAR

The man is in Galway and the mum looks like the one in the photo you posted. Are they really wolf hybrids I wonder or just GSD crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

the only way to prove it would be dna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

ill tell you why people would want one, is not to think their Tough, Thats So PitBulls.... Saying that their are some Dump Owners out their, Walking my dogs while a owner of a Pitbull was walking his pitbull down the Street with out a LEAD!!!! :eek: A PitBull come on!!! Even tho i dont blame the Dog itself for having a bad name but they are a Strong breed that need a good Dog Owner

I'm Thinking about getting a Wolf Hybrid Why you may ask?

Well first off, I am into game Shooting and Hunting. as they are the Closet dog to the Wolf, It makes them a Great Hunter.. German Shepherds Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes were Crossed Bred With a Gray Wolf as this 3 dogs are Cousins to the Wolf. I had a Malamute, Was a Great Hunter, took down anything it could get at, I also had a Norwegian Elkhound that was a great dog, I have a Lab for game Shooting

SO i would like to get my hands on a Wolf Hybrid to give it a good at the hunting would their nose be as better then a Lab for Shooting Birds or evening taking down a Deer or catch Foxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Cork24 wrote: »

Well first off, I am into game Shooting and Hunting. as they are the Closet dog to the Wolf, It makes them a Great Hunter.. German Shepherds Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes were Crossed Bred With a Gray Wolf as this 3 dogs are Cousins to the Wolf. I had a Malamute, Was a Great Hunter, took down anything it could get at, I also had a Norwegian Elkhound that was a great dog, I have a Lab for game Shooting

I really don't know where people get this idea from. The siberian husky and the alaskan malamute are no more closely related to the wolf than any other domestic dog. They were not crossbred with a grey wolf, unless it was 20,000 years ago! Apparently there are bone and ivory carvings from 12-20,000 years ago depicting the malamute virtually the same anatomically as they are today.

Siberian huskies came originally from the Chukchi tribe in Siberia, and have been used by them for at least 3000 years for pulling sleds.

People like them because they look like wolves maybe, but they are a dog, they are very different to wolves, very different.

• Advertisement

What you think is a wolf hybrid pure wolf is it? In fact wolfs were used as pets as early as 1884 check it out on the Wikipea site. And in fact gray wolfs were crossed bred with malamutes! Their more closer to the wolf family then other dogs as other dogs have now lost it's wolf DNA fact!! from years of cross bred sure look at the Klee kai they are now the next best thing their a mini husky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What you think is a wolf hybrid pure wolf is it? In fact wolfs were used as pets as early as 1884 check it out on the Wikipea site. And in fact gray wolfs were crossed bred with malamutes! Their more closer to the wolf family then other dogs as other dogs have now lost it's wolf DNA fact!! from years of cross bred sure look at the Klee kai they are now the next best thing their a mini husky

I'm sorry, what? I don't understand what you are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

OK sorry, I misread your post, I thought you were saying that sibes and mals came about because something had been crossbred with a wolf to make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bessiemae

ill tell you why people would want one, is not to think their Tough, Thats So PitBulls.... Saying that their are some Dump Owners out their, Walking my dogs while a owner of a Pitbull was walking his pitbull down the Street with out a LEAD!!!! :eek: A PitBull come on!!! Even tho i dont blame the Dog itself for having a bad name but they are a Strong breed that need a good Dog Owner

I'm Thinking about getting a Wolf Hybrid Why you may ask?

Actually all that crossing a dog with a wolf will do is give you an unpredictable animal. And I certainly wouldn't recommend one for hunting. There is no way that a genuine wolf hybrid could be trusted loose in the countryside around livestock and I can't imagine they would be too keen to give up whatever it is they caught to their owner either.
    Wolves are a wild animal and should stay that way. Of course there are cases of wolves being domesticated that go back hundreds or years, that usually happens in countries where wolves still actually live in the wild and will attach themselves to humans for food, companionship etc.
    The fact that GSDs, Huskies and Mals are bred to wolves has nothing to do with them being closely related to the wolf, pretty much any dog could be bred to a wolf.
    Your idea of using one for hunting is also based on the assumption that it will have all the innate hunting abilities of a wolf tied up in a neat package with the biddable nature of a dog, genetics doesn't work that way unfortunately.

Wolfs are very safe to keep as pets once the owner knows how to handle very powerful dogs. You claim every thing from them evening their food. Never feed a dog before the master gets food. Dog should never pull or walk infront of you while walking.

Wolfs have being used as pets by american Indians and can be trained to work with humans malamutes have being crossed bred with gray wolf and now you have a wolf hybrid.

I have worked with alot of powerful dogs and all worked out well

• Advertisement

Wolfs are very safe to keep as pets once the owner knows how to handle very powerful dogs. You claim every thing from them evening their food. Never feed a dog before the master gets food. Dog should never pull or walk infront of you while walking.

Wolfs have being used as pets by american Indians and can be trained to work with humans malamutes have being crossed bred with gray wolf and now you have a wolf hybrid.

I have worked with alot of powerful dogs and all worked out well

I am sure you have worked with powerful dogs and handled them well but wolves are not dogs and should not be crossed with dogs or treated as such. Oh and did you know that sometimes the Alpha wolf brings up the rear and lets the others walk in front of him?;)

Wolves and wolf hybrids should not be kept as pets no matter how experienced the owner. Wolves forming bonds with American Indians is not the same a a wolf being forced to live a life as a pet. These relationships were based on choice and mutual respect and the animals were free to leave should they choose. I am sure if any American Indian heard you refer to a wolf as a pet they would be highly offended. Wolves, like bears, lions, tigers, and all other wild animals belong in the wild. And it is nothing but human vanity and ego to want to bring them into our lives and be their 'master'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stop reading Jack London :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Would it be legal having a wolf hybrid roaming around the countryside hunting?

If i had a wolf there is no way i would bring him hunting. I have a Husky and the work it takes to keep this guy happy. A wolf is even bigger. Standing on its hind legs they are nearly 6 ft . Its all about claiming teritory too. If you miss a day with a walk, he will destroy your house and Garden.
    Actually the new season og Dog Whisperer he goes to a family with 2 wolves.

peasant wrote: »
    Stop reading Jack London :D

Love this

Also loved the book

Curious.

you talk about hunting with these dogs, they can bring down pretty much anything.

What, like deer. Are you saying you would use a dog for hunting, taking down and killing the likes of deer. ????

Also.

I recommend watching the Wolf man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

handsome fella - definatly some German Shepherd in the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

[quote=[Deleted User];63696654]I had this chap, I didnt pay for him but he was very hard work. Anyone who wants a big dog think twice about it! He was supposedly a hybrid of some sort but id say he was closer to a heinz 57.[/quote]

Stunning dog alright. Looks to me like the working line german shepherds, could be wrong though, obviously.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

looks like a Shepweiler to me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

peasant wrote: »
    looks like a Shepweiler to me :D

agree! He does, doesnt he, a good looking designer breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I saw an ad on done deal for wolf hybrids,
    would really love to get one, they look gorgeous. does anyone know what type of temperament they usually have.
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Watched a show over the xmas on people keeping wolfs as pets, very interesting as they reared the pups right from when they were born. They came to the conclusion that wolfs cannot be kept like dogs as pets as they did not have the breeding that is in the dogs from years of being pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

[quote=[Deleted User];63696654]I had this chap, I didnt pay for him but he was very hard work. Anyone who wants a big dog think twice about it! He was supposedly a hybrid of some sort but id say he was closer to a heinz 57.[/quote]
    looks like a gsd xrottie handsome fellah

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

[quote=[Deleted User];64005289]Its unlikey they are actually wolf hybrids. Ask to see the parents. They say if you have any hope of it being like a dog, rather than wild, it needs to be taken from the mother by 5 weeks and thats pretty intense looking after a dog that young[/QUOTE]

They had pics of the parents also on it

http://www.nationalwildlife.org/wildlife/pdfs/CanYouTurnAWolfIntoADog.pdf

Have a read of the above, some very interesting information. Also if you read back over this thread you will get some more info about owning these animals.
    We domesticated wolves tens of thousands of years ago, honestly I fail to see the need to do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I saw an ad on done deal for wolf hybrids,
    would really love to get one, they look gorgeous. does anyone know what type of temperament they usually have.
    <snip>

Read the rest of this thread and do a search of the forum, there are a million threads on wolf hybrids.

Advertisement