Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Build ICF

• 19-04-2007 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

I have read some previous threads that have mentioned ICF but there wasn't very much discussion on it and one discussion was moved to the green forum.

I'm looking at building a one off house in a rural area in the next year and a friend who is an engineer brought ICF to my attention, for those who don't know what it is do a quick google and you will find loads of information e.g.:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulating_concrete_forms

I'm not looking at this purely for energy rating reasons its just one advantage imo, so I'm looking for anyone who has built a house using ICF and what advice they may have, my only concern is the exterior finish the local ICF Builder who I have spoken with says most people simply plaster onto the exterior of the insulation block however some articles I have read state this can cause problems years down the road and a single block on its edge 2" from the ICF block is much better with plaster applied to the block.

I am building either a story and a half or a dormer and I am looking at also putting in a hollow core concrete slab between floors to increase sound proofing. One topic I am looking for information on is internal walls I could use timber studs with double slabs for sound proofing but my mate has suggested gypsum blocks for the internal walls they look good but I can't find information on how good they are for sound proofing although I know gypsum boards are often applied to block walls for sound proofing.

Anyone with experince of ICF or using Gypsum blocks that can offer advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

irish1 wrote:
    One topic I am looking for information on is internal walls I could use timber studs with double slabs for sound proofing but my mate has suggested gypsum blocks for the internal walls they look good but I can't find information on how good they are for sound proofing although I know gypsum boards are often applied to block walls for sound proofing.
    A block wall is quite sound proof and plaster board attached doesn't make much of a difference.
    They are more likely attached to walls when insulating internally (not internal walls) or to create a service cavity.
    The gypsum website is pretty good for info, you should find what you need on their products there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Try searching again, a regular poster "dolanbaker" is currently building with ICF's in Athlone and has a blog on his build.

invest4deepvalue.com

Yes I'd recommend using an ICF system, it's quick and fairly simple to erect.

One of the quickest ways to produce solid insulated walls, also the walls will be airtight because the concrete is done in one pour.

See the website in the sig (thanks Do-more:)) we are almost ready to move in...(finally!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Emmatipp

Yes I'd recommend using an ICF system, it's quick and fairly simple to erect.

One of the quickest ways to produce solid insulated walls, also the walls will be airtight because the concrete is done in one pour.

See the website in the sig (thanks Do-more:)) we are almost ready to move in...(finally!)

Apologies for coming to this discussion so late, but I am currently looking for information on ICF builds. I am hoping to start build my house this Spring and am using ICF wall construction from Kore. I am hoping to achieve passivhaus standards. I was looking on the web for plaster for the exterior walls when I came across dolanbaker house in Athlone. I am interested to know if you drylined the inside of the exterior walls and what u-values you achieved for the exterior walls. Also, what plaster you used for the exterior of the walls.

I see that you have been in it nearly 2 years now and am interested to know how you are getting on with it, especially with the HRV and heating requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Emmatipp wrote: »
    Apologies for coming to this discussion so late, but I am currently looking for information on ICF builds. I am hoping to start build my house this Spring and am using ICF wall construction from Kore. I am hoping to achieve passivhaus standards. I was looking on the web for plaster for the exterior walls when I came across dolanbaker house in Athlone. I am interested to know if you drylined the inside of the exterior walls and what u-values you achieved for the exterior walls. Also, what plaster you used for the exterior of the walls.

I see that you have been in it nearly 2 years now and am interested to know how you are getting on with it, especially with the HRV and heating requirements.

have you passed the design through a preliminary phpp assessment??

If not then that should be your starting point.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    have you passed the design through a preliminary phpp assessment??

If not then that should be your starting point.

I haven't passed it through the phpp or deap assessment yet. Am hoping to do so in the coming weeks. I've done quite a bit of research on it and spoke to a few "experts" about it, both from sellers and non sellers and am happy enough with the design. I am really interested in talking to someone who has built and lived in a passive house or low energy usage house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Old Thread, and sadly I had to move away from ICF due to Costs, I did quite a bit of research at the time I was looking into ICF and its very good for quick construction and also for low energy, I have spoken to people who live in ICF houses and really its the same as block or timber in respect that the system is only as good as the labour used to install and manage the project.

The main issue I had with ICF was external render, there are types of plaster that are meant to work well but really I think the only way to get the best finish externally is for another leaf i.e. brick or stone and now you really are getting expensive.

Villain wrote: »
    The main issue I had with ICF was external render, there are types of plaster that are meant to work well but really I think the only way to get the best finish externally is for another leaf i.e. brick or stone and now you really are getting expensive.

I just used standard sand/cement plaster on the outside of my house, for extra security I added a sheet of expanded metal first (in thery this is not required) a "scud" coat (a wet cerment slurry) then base coat & top coat, the way all plasterers know how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I just used standard sand/cement plaster on the outside of my house, for extra security I added a sheet of expanded metal first (in thery this is not required) a "scud" coat (a wet cerment slurry) then base coat & top coat, the way all plasterers know how.
    In my opinion the metal is required. And to be honest, I don't think sand and cement render is suitable for ICF. At least not as suitable as thin reinforced renders for that very job.

• Advertisement

Would sand/cement plaster be sufficient to prevent moisture penetration or would you be relying on the water resistant properties of the EPS insulation? From what I have heard from sellers of ICF, the 'special' plaster that they promote to be used on ICF builds is supposed to prevent mositure penetration.

Also, dolanbaker, did you add additional insulation to the inside of your external walls on top of the ICF insulation? I am interested in doing this to achieve the required u-value. I am hoping to use 150mm leaf ICF insulation on the interior and exterior of the wall and then add additional insulation to the inside of the wall in the form of a drylining board(composite insulation and normal plaster board) or insulation board faced with fermacell board. Would there be an issue in fixing, as fixings would have to be fixed to the inner concrete and therefore have to go through the 150mm ICF insulation as well as any drylining added?

Any thoughts?

Advertisement