Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Int space station flyby

Options
  • 19-04-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Actually got the info from 9:30pm weather that the int space station cross west to east at about 9:50pm and what a sight.Very bright as it moved east in a glorious night sky with the moons cresent and venus also.Anyone else see it?Lasted about 4 mins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Botany Bay

That explains it then. Ive seen the International space station before but wasn't sure what i saw tonight. The last time i saw it, it was at a higher angle and seemed to be moving a lot faster. I was looking out towards the gorse fires on the Dublin Mountains and this large light caught my attention. Perpelexed me because it made no noise and was travelling at a steady speed. I knew it wasn't an aircraft, and thought i was witnessing a Ufo, well at the time i certainly coudn't identify it. Thought it might be a low orbiting satellite or the space station. Thats that one cleared up then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yep, went out to look for it after the tip off on the 9.30pm weather forecast. It was actually quite dull looking in comparison to Venus, but a wonderful sight nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Times for the fly overs for the remainder of the weekend are here:
    http://esa.heavens-above.com/esa/iss_step2.asp?Loc=Dunboyne&Lat=53.400&Lng=-6.467&TZ=GMT

I have entered Dunboyne as my location but you can change it to your local town (it has a database which seems to include all reasonably sized irish towns)

Can somebody tell me if I'm right in assuming that the above linked data means the sat will rise in the west at 22:09 and set in the South at 22:12?
    If so, better get my scope to a wide open location because the houses/trees around my house won't let me see it from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Can somebody tell me if I'm right in assuming that the above linked data means the sat will rise in the west at 22:09 and set in the South at 22:12?

Yes, and the time is usually very accurate. I didn't actually see it this week. However Venus and the Moon have made a beautiful sight over the past couple of nights. If it is clear tonight, watch out for them.

Advertisement