Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Problem

Options
  • 19-04-2007 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Hi All, my cat keeps pulling her hair out from around her back / back legs. She does this five or six times a day. The bigger problem is that unless my wife or myself stop her she swallows it and is then coughing later. I asked a vet previously but they were unable to help me. Anybody here got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

did they run any blood tests or do a skin scrapping. Some cats can be allergic to fleas and all it can take is one bite to send them into a biting freenzy.

I would bring the cat to the vet and get blood tests and a skin scrapping from the area to rule out any parasites. As bad as it is for you to look at can you imagine how she must be feeling.

If you previous vet was unable/unwilling to investigate more bring the cat to a different vet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Check her for any redness of the skin or marks that might suggest skin problem and if you find nothing then, I would treat her for fleas and see if this resolves the problem. If not then you may have to get the vet to do further tests.

There's definitly something going on with her skin, when she is scratching out her hair so much......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Thanks for the replies. Her skin is OK, no problem there. I have used a flea comb on her and nothing showed up. I have now used Stronghold on her. Hopefully it will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

i'd go with a blood test then. it could be a vicious cycle - my cat has coliflower ears as she keeps scratching them, then the skin hardens and becomes itchy. at the very least get the vet to put a collar on your cat to stop it ripping it's fur out - will break the chain, will drive cat mad though - buy lots of chicken to appease the poor animal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

cats with behavioral problems like that can benefit with a product called feliway. it is a plug in to the electricity socket. it releases a hormone that is released by the mother after given birth which relaxes the cat as the problem could be stress related. This can be bought at your local vet clinic.

You should maybe try skin sensitivity cat food. Royal canine do a good quality food that doesn't wreck your animals teeth and has all the essential vitamins etc. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement