Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 year old going out

• 19-04-2007 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I have been away from the nightclub / pub seen in Waterford for some time now. Lately I tried to get into it again; I went to Ruby’s one Saturday night. Jesus, if there were 10 people in there late twenties there that night that was about it. I felt like I was in an underage disco.

Do people in there late twenties – early thirties go out any more? If they do, were do they go? Has going out changed that much? I am really so out of touch with going out? Is there any good spots in Waterford where a 30 year old will not feel like a cradle snatcher being in?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Late bars are usually best. I tend to fall into Harvey's as the night wears on. Couldn't face going into Oxygen or anywhere like that. Ruby's is hard to take, although downstairs is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Where's Harveys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

mad man wrote:
    Where's Harveys?

Old Shefflins up the road from Masons heading Towards Cork only 2-300 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Old Shefflins up the road from Masons heading Towards Cork only 2-300 yards

New names don't really catch on in Waterford do they? Hint... it's been Harvey's for about 3 years! :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    New names don't really catch on in Waterford do they? Hint... it's been Harvey's for about 3 years! :eek:

Its still Shefflins in my book, same as Oxygen will always be Merlins in my book :)

Rubys is a bloody hole, if their was a fire in their half the people would be killed due to crushing or failing down the stairs as they try to leave the place. Its a deathtrap and it should be closed as I'd say its over-crowed 9 times out of 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Harvey's, I hate that place! Electric Avenue is good, another late bar, beside Geoff's. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Most clubs in town are useless, I never bother going to the majority of them. Also Muldoons is the ultimate kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Maharet wrote:
    Harvey's, I hate that place!

Hey folks, thanks for the tips.

Are the bouncers in Kavanagh’s joints still utter ****?

What about Oscars and the Ulurlu are they fake id kind of places or do they get a good crowd in there late twenties and up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

What about Oscars and the Ulurlu are they fake id kind of places or do they get a good crowd in there late twenties and up.

From what I've heard yeah they would have an older crowd in both of them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The Uluru is a good spot,good mix of people and hardly any kids.If you get fed up of the loud music in one side you can always go into the "quiet side". Rick Whelan does the music there on weekends.......still the oldest swinger in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

What's wrong with cradle snatching anyway?

Roen wrote:
    What's wrong with cradle snatching anyway?

Cradles are probably gone expensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

I have been away from the nightclub / pub seen in Waterford for some time now. Lately I tried to get into it again; I went to Ruby’s one Saturday night. Jesus, if there were 10 people in there late twenties there that night that was about it. I felt like I was in an underage disco.

Do people in there late twenties – early thirties go out any more? If they do, were do they go? Has going out changed that much? I am really so out of touch with going out? Is there any good spots in Waterford where a 30 year old will not feel like a cradle snatcher being in?:confused:

Sounds to me like yer all grown up now, God bless ya!:D Which isn't a bad thing at all, happend to me quiet a few years ago now & I'm only a year older than ya.

I was in Muldoon's a few weeks back & it's bad, really really bad! Even if I was single I STILL wouldn't go in there. Try the Uluru, it has the best mix of people over the age of the cradle so you'll be safe enough there!

Tanabe wrote:
    Sounds to me like yer all grown up

Woops, I was afraid that was going to happen.:eek:

There definitely is a market for this age group all right. And considering I'm pretty much in it now, the quicker something appears to service it the better.

I'm surprised there isin't a club aimed at 25-35...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Staying in is the new going out!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I have to agree Waterford needs a decent night club, Rubys 18-25, over packed most weekends, which god forbid is an accident waiting to happen, If there was a fire, I dont know how the owner gets away with it, I suppose the more ya get the more ya want.

But the prob in Waterford is, a good location for a night club. most people wont walk to far, thast why the Bowery is after changing names, I dont know how many times.

There is a night club in Nass called Time. Its what you call a night club, if something like that was in Waterford in a good location. Bye bye Rubys

I have to agree Waterford needs a decent night club, Rubys 18-25, over packed most weekends, which god forbid is an accident waiting to happen, If there was a fire, I dont know how the owner gets away with it, I suppose the more ya get the more ya want.

But the prob in Waterford is, a good location for a night club. most people wont walk to far, thast why the Bowery is after changing names, I dont know how many times.

There is a night club in Nass called Time. Its what you call a night club, if something like that was in Waterford in a good location. Bye bye Rubys

Sure who's walking, isin't it all taxis at that hour, and for those of us who live near the centre, what's close to one person will be far away for the other. Plus, look at the Forum, it seems to be miles away from everywhere ( ;) ) and has been there a long time.

I say if there was a good club there, people would go to it no matter where it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Masons actually gets a lot more late 20s and 30 and 40 somethings than you'd actually think. I'd go as far as to say that there are more late 20s and 30s people than anyone else.

I remember when ruby’s opened first it really was a 25+ club, but that was in the good old days of Waterford night life. Oh how things have changed. All the clubs just started to go for the easy buck from the 16 to 23 or whatever age group. Surely the Tweedy group or somebody must realise that there is a market not being tapped into in Waterford. We can only hope that somebody steps up to the mark and opens a descent club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I remember when ruby’s opened first it really was a 25+ club, but that was in the good old days of Waterford night life. Oh how things have changed. All the clubs just started to go for the easy buck from the 16 to 23 or whatever age group. Surely the Tweedy group or somebody must realise that there is a market not being tapped into in Waterford. We can only hope that somebody steps up to the mark and opens a descent club.

Have to disagree with you there. Times have changed. When harveys opened first they were strictly over 23s...they wanted to own the city's "classy" pub. They soon realised that they couldn't survive on just one busy night a week and after a few months, they stopped food during the day, laid off staff and now they open their doors to everyone - even those that they swore they never would: students.

More and more people are choosing to stay at home and drink, and don't forget, back in that golden era you were talking about there was no uluru and Becketts etc...people living out there (albeit not as many as today) were coming into town.

It's too easy to slag Bob Tweedy but I'd rather him than the Kavanaghs any day. Look at the bars in this town that have closed in recent years, The Old Stand, Egans etc... The main problem with Waterford is that the majority of people are too stuck up and afraid of change. If a bar tries to do something new the waterford people don't want to know. Geoffs - Rubys, that's all they do. I really don't think people have a right to complain to be honest.

I have so much respect for places like the Bowery who are trying to do something new, but probably to no avail. People won't walk an extra yard for a drink but their more than willing to queue for 20 mins to get into Rubys...

And about Rubys....put anyone in Bob Tweedy's shoes and they'd do exactly the same thing. He provides a substantial job base for the city and is to be applauded in my opinion.

I have to disagree, for a start there are plenty of pubs that seem to live purely on an older crowd, like the Mansion and the Three Shippes, although I haven't been to either for a while. Harvey's always seemed to have a big mix of ages in there. The main problem with Harvey's though is not that the market let them down, it's that it is a very poorly designed bar with no comfort in it whatsoever -- which is what people 25+ want. It is a cold and uncomfortable bar, with unbelievably tacky decor. The only highlight seems to be the smoking area.

The likes of Tweedy and Kavanagh seem to have a fair amount of contempt for ordinary punters because there is no imagination put into the pubs/clubs whatsoever. And if people don't show up, it means that Waterford people are unreliable or some ****. The demographic we're talking about is a huge one in Waterford. This demographic packs out pubs like Geoffs, Downses, T&H's and many others on a regular basis. The same people would pack out a club/late night pub if there was anything decent. Look at Harvey's and compare to the atmosphere in any of the pubs mentioned. Harvey's is a joke in comparison. Every time I go in there I regret it.

Personally I would go to the Bowery before I would go to Ruby's and I've had a good time there when I've went, but the crowd still seems to be very young. I don't think people going to Ruby's and not the Bowery has got anything to do with people not wanting to walk; for some reason, Ruby's is just 'cool' at the moment, and if the Bowery were seen to be cool, the whole town would go there. You'd swear it was an arctic trek between the junction and the tower! Personally, I'd go anywhere in the city centre, and maybe out to the Dunmore Rd. to go to a decent place.

I do agree though that a lot of Waterford people are set in there ways. I've noticed this in Dublin too, where some people who have never left home form these crazy habits of always going to set places when they're 17 and find it very difficult to go to change after that. But those are probably not the people who want to see change in Waterford.

I can't believe that there are so few players in Waterford's nightlife. You'd swear other players have been run out of town at gun point or something. It's because of this that there is no imagination, no change and no improvement. There is this idea that nothing better can happen because Waterford people are somehow conditioned to accepted crap and not recognise a good thing when they see it. This could be true for many people, but on the evidence of the people you get on message boards such as these, there are plenty of people that are more discerning and less content with what is there currently than that.

fade2black wrote:
    Have to disagree with you there. Times have changed. When harveys opened first they were strictly over 23s...they wanted to own the city's "classy" pub. They soon realised that they couldn't survive on just one busy night a week and after a few months, they stopped food during the day, laid off staff and now they open their doors to everyone - even those that they swore they never would: students.

More and more people are choosing to stay at home and drink, and don't forget, back in that golden era you were talking about there was no uluru and Becketts etc...people living out there (albeit not as many as today) were coming into town.

It's too easy to slag Bob Tweedy but I'd rather him than the Kavanaghs any day. Look at the bars in this town that have closed in recent years, The Old Stand, Egans etc... The main problem with Waterford is that the majority of people are too stuck up and afraid of change. If a bar tries to do something new the waterford people don't want to know. Geoffs - Rubys, that's all they do. I really don't think people have a right to complain to be honest.

I have so much respect for places like the Bowery who are trying to do something new, but probably to no avail. People won't walk an extra yard for a drink but their more than willing to queue for 20 mins to get into Rubys...

And about Rubys....put anyone in Bob Tweedy's shoes and they'd do exactly the same thing. He provides a substantial job base for the city and is to be applauded in my opinion.
    merlante wrote:
    This could be true for many people, but on the evidence of the people you get on message boards such as these, there are plenty of people that are more discerning and less content with what is there currently than that.

I would say the lack of success of Harvey’s when it was 23+ was more to do with the owners than a poor market for a pub of its kind in Waterford. How many people of that age group have memories of being turned away from Oxygen for no good reason? Answer – a lot, myself included. The Cove on the Dunmore road died away in the same fashion when the Kavanagh’s bought it.

I did not mean to come across as knocking Tweedy, I have great time for his group. All his premises pasted and present are very well run and I always found the bouncers fair and descent, unlike the **** that the Kavanagh’s employ.

All pubs and nightclubs have to survive on one or two busy nights a week these days. I do not think that the age limit affects this. People of all ages just do not go out as much as they did in the past. I have learned this from experience lately. Just go for a walk around the city centre any weeknight and see how slack the pubs are.

If a nightclub opened that stuck to a 25+ policy for Saturday nights, I believe that it would do well. Maybe one of the reasons why staying in is the new going out is that there is no 25+ nightclubs to go to. I agree with Merlante people who are more discerning when it comes to nightlife are not really catered for in Waterford at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

Baker St (formerly oblivion) has a new venue opening soon banner on it. Any idea who will be running it and has it been done up in any way?It couldn't be any worse than it was in its previous guises could it?

Advertisement