Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a place in Limerick

Options
  • 19-04-2007 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.
    Recently I've been offered a job in Shannon which means I have to move to Limerick. Therefore I'm looking for a place to stay where I can commute via car to Shannon within a reasonable time frame 15-25 minutes. I was thinking somewhere west of the Shannon but that means Moyross(hasn't a great rep).
    Really just fishing for ideas from you guys that know the city.
    All help appreciated.
    Thank you
    CC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Ennis Road, Corbally, City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Corbally is a disaster for traffic as are the roads into the city from Condell roundabout at peak traffic times.
    Clareview, Caherdavin Lawn, Cratloe are my recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Crea wrote:
    Clareview, Caherdavin Lawn,

Agreed , both in Limerick but on the right side of shannon for commuting .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd even suggest Portdrine or Sixmilebridge in Co.Clare. About halfway between Limerick and Shannon, or Bunratty even

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

sorry, stupid me! I always mix up corbally and caherdavin! :( ignore corbally - other end of town and traffic into town is really a disaster...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Thanks everyone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Meelick. In behind moyross, much quieter, its a bit out from the city but not much and the rent will be quite low.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Or you could actually move to shannon? Unless you have something that needs to be done in limerick everyday. Only takes 15-20 minutes to get to town.

Not exactly a bustling metropolis, but then again neither is limerick!

If you value your mental health I would suggest that you do NOT move to shannon under any circumstances.
    I dont want to slag the place, it is what it is, but its very suburban, lots of houses, small families, not much else. Of course, if you have a wife and a kid, I would be posting links up to houses in shannon, but I dont think that you are.
    No vibe to the place, its an expensive cabride away from any fun, and it has this air of depression that only seems to lift as you hit limerick on the dual carraigeway. Shannon really really depresses me.

Hmm.. I do have a wife and kid. :D Didn't realise I was so boring and depressing. You don't have to be in a pub to have fun. ;)

If you're set on limerick somewhere like caherdavin. Some rental places in Cluain Dara (not sure of name - near clonmacken roundabout).

Either way you're on the road to shannon in a few minutes. Meelick as stated previously, cratlore and portdrine are farther out again.

• Advertisement

Well we'll say its an expensive cabride away from any fun if your life, like mine, is an empty series of non-wife and kid based incidents held together by alcohol and sarcasm. If you're like that then dont live in Shannon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

MarkR wrote:
    Hmm.. I do have a wife and kid. :D Didn't realise I was so boring and depressing. You don't have to be in a pub to have fun. ;)

If you're set on limerick somewhere like caherdavin. Some rental places in Cluain Dara (not sure of name - near clonmacken roundabout).

Either way you're on the road to shannon in a few minutes. Meelick as stated previously, cratlore and portdrine are farther out again.
    if you ask me, the best place to go would be caherdavin/clonmacken, its technically out of the city boundary so rent would be cheaper, you have 1 and soon to be 2 big shopping centers at your feet too. town is only about 2 miles and shannon is easily accessable, so you have a bit of both worlds with next to no traffic as you would be living on the north fringes of the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

What about Coonagh?

Sure that's just a roundabout. ;) Anywhere in and around that side of the city should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The Clonmacken side of Caherdavin is the best place to live if you work in Shannon, though, there's no decent local anywhere near you. Failing that, you could rent in Fernhill (?) opposite the Salesians school, the traffic wouldn't be too bad since you'd mostly be going against the school traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Thanx for all your help as it turns out. I know people living in Limerick just opposite the cresent and they have a room available, which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanx for all your help as it turns out. I know people living in Limerick just opposite the cresent and they have a room available, which is great.

Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to work as the traffic on the Dock road over the Shannon bridge and out the Condell road is grid locked at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Condell Road and Dock Road are a nightmare at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

If you want the reasonable time commute of 15-25 minutes then I would NOT recommend commuting across the Shannon River,
    getting back over any of the Bridges is a btch in the evenings.
    Raheen/Cresent to Shannon might be ok in a few years when the TOLLED tunnel opens up.

It takes my friends over an hour to get from the Coonagh Roundabout to the Cresent Shoping Centre some evenings,
    Thursdays evenings especially, it doesnt make much difference if you go by the Ennis road or Condell Road, both equally as bad.

Traffic is getting worse, it is backed up past Coonagh roundabout, even out around Clondrinagh some evenings now after 5pm.

Like the others I'd recommend Caherdavin, Caherdavin Lawn, CluainDara + Knocklyon (new estates) in the Clonmacken area, Ashbrook, Clareview, not much rentals in Coonagh I'd say, Knockhill across from Greenhills Hotel, even as far in as North Circular Road area (if you are minted) would be ok traffic wise. You will get from Shannon back to these spots in under 30 mins in the evenings.

Check the Limerick Post for ads + to compare rental prices
    www.limerickpost.ie

Best of luck + Welcome to lovely Limerick!!

* as an aside one of the canvassers called to our door last night + told us that the Bus Lane from Coonagh Roundabout to Ivans isnt active yet, so we are free to drive in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

MarkR wrote:
    Sure that's just a roundabout. ;) Anywhere in and around that side of the city should be fine.
    you mustn't have visited Coonagh in a while :) soon Coonagh will have a shopping centre to match Shannon's mighty Skycourt Shopping Centre.
    Only a matter of time then til Ryanair relocates to Coonagh International Airport!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya thats kinda at the dooradoyle side of the city like not the best commute in the mornings from my experience being stuck on the dock road or through the city can be fairly jammed
    but if you go a bit early it can make a huge difference

Or wait a year or two till the shannon tunnel is opened and it wont matter were in the city you live :)

rok wrote:
    * as an aside one of the canvassers called to our door last night + told us that the Bus Lane from Coonagh Roundabout to Ivans isnt active yet, so we are free to drive in it.

Off original topic, but I wouldn't be 100% on that. The signs are up as of last week showing it as a combined bus / cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chocoholic

MarkR wrote:

here here rok. some people are sooo ignorant!!! ;)

Advertisement