Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jerry "the king lawler" vs. JBL

• 19-04-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

With Lawler and the WWE apparently at loggerheads over the memphis fiasco and JBL's cult following growing every friday, is it time for Jerry to move on and JBL to assume his mantel.
    In other words, have the WWE found lawler's natural successor

Which of the two do you prefer 13 votes

Jerry "the king" Lawler
    0% 0 votes
    John Bradshaw Layfield
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I know where you're going with this. But JBL is good where he is at the minute mate, take him off Smackdown, what the hell would be the reason to watch SD? The "Stellar Quality" matches that happen on a weekly basis?

Nah, Lawler is good, but Ross needs to go from RAW soon, he's nowhere near as good as he used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

King at the moment is boring. When he was talking up the heels he was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Lawler was great back in the day. He's lost his edge since he's been siding with JR for the last few years. JR is still the best commentator in wrestling though. Nobody else is near him

I'm not sure if WWE would put JR and JBL together. They're both southerners, apparently that's not good for American audiences. It's all the same to non-Americans though I think

I prefer JBL at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

JR being the best in wrestlilng tho and nobody else is near him. I dunno, he was at one point, but he makes a ****load of mistakes these days in his old age.

And given the fact that Michael Cole, Joey Styles, and Mike Tenay are his only competition at the minute... thats not saying a hell of a lot ;)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Lawler has always been annoying. Puppies, womanising, big ego - never changed.

JBL is way more entertaining IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

People might laugh at me when I say this but, I think Lawler is one of the most underutilised talents on Raw.

I say this as I was a massive fan of the heel Lawler as a commentator. Sure, screaching puppies got a little old, but back then he was one of the wittiest people I had ever heard. Consistently he could pull a one liner out of nowhere, in any situation, and the cheap shots he took were generally real observations, i.e havin a pop at Owen Hart for his big nose, which made them all the more funnier. I also think he really helped get some heels over back then by siding with them and mocking JR when JR would give out rotten about when a heel played nasty.

I really think that if Lawler was allowed go heel again and have a free reign, Raw would be quite a bit more enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

JBL has improved a great deal but I would just about give the nod to the King. I say this because I find JBL can detract from the in-ring action at times when he's ranting at Michael Cole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The king is okay, but JBL is fantastic.

I also think people are too down on Michael Cole, he's pretty good, and I would say equal to Ross. It would be hard for anyone to look good when you're lumbered with Tazz for years.

Also, the relationship between Cole and JBL is brilliant, I don't know if that would transfer across to JR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I love JBL, he really entertains me on the rare occasions I watch SmackDown! KIng, however does have his charm and also entertains me, but I have to side with JBL on this one.
    I think someone said JBL detracts from the in-ring action by ranting at Cole, isn't the heel commentator meant to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

People might laugh at me when I say this but, I think Lawler is one of the most underutilised talents on Raw.

I say this as I was a massive fan of the heel Lawler as a commentator. Sure, screaching puppies got a little old, but back then he was one of the wittiest people I had ever heard. Consistently he could pull a one liner out of nowhere, in any situation, and the cheap shots he took were generally real observations, i.e havin a pop at Owen Hart for his big nose, which made them all the more funnier.
    His feud with Jake Roberts was hillarious. He had an endless string of one-liners about Jake's alcoholism. Apparently that really upset Roberts, but made for damn funny TV.

• Advertisement

Minto wrote:
    I think someone said JBL detracts from the in-ring action by ranting at Cole, isn't the heel commentator meant to do that?

The thing that annoys me sometimes is that Cole will be trying to make a point about some angle and he'll say something along the lines of "we got a chance to talk to this superstar when JBL and I were in catering earlier today..", but before he can do his job and finish his point, JBL will completely ruin it by shouting that he doesn't hang around Cole at catering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

King was better when he was not on 'good old JR's' side (and charlie mc hugh makes some very good points above), but i remember the day the king took over from Bobby the brain and that was a bad day. Bobby the brain gave 110% every day, JBL gives 100%, but the peak for the king was 85%, thats an 'A' i know, but its not 100.

BRING THE COACH BACK TO THE TABLE.

Bobby Heenan was the best colour commentator ever. The wittiest person I've ever known of. And he was always able to work his wit into getting someone other than himself over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote:
    Bobby Heenan was the best colour commentator ever. The wittiest person I've ever known of. And he was always able to work his wit into getting someone other than himself over

What was great about him too was that he could make an hour of basically squash matches so entertaining. The chemistry between him and Monsoon was special.

Just on Monsoon, people criticise him a lot these days but I think he was perfect for that time in the WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just watched the ladder match from Wrestlemania X and I forget how bad Vince was on commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Just watched the ladder match from Wrestlemania X and I forget how bad Vince was on commentary.
    You can't be serious! The 'dream team' of announcing was Vince, Piper and Randy Savage (during his suspension).*

*I may be taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The King is definitely better as a heel commentator. Unfortunately he's just too popular now.

He could go out in the ring and slate the most over babyface in the company and the fans would cheer him and boo the face.

I think King and JBL could make a good pairing. Have King do "play by play" and JBL doing the colour commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

the king's Commentary has being going down hill in the last few years. im still a big fan off the king, but at the moment i prefer JBL. then again the fact that JBL replaced taz, and is working with michael cole makes him sound even better! not a big fan of cole, taz is crap!

Advertisement