Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mod for pro wrestling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Beruthiel wrote:
    psi made me a card once, something to do with the difference between dreams and reality, it would have been useful here, but I cannot find it.
    Last man on earth or a banana, tough decision.

Eck, you're a brat

dreamsreality7ly.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Beruthiel wrote:
    psi made me a card once, something to do with the difference between dreams and reality, it would have been useful here, but I cannot find it.
    Last man on earth or a banana, tough decision.

Eck, you're a brat

SpiderBaby.jpg

You know, it's more fun when the wrestling regulars come in and let their testosterone filled egos go wild!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

hahaha, wrestling.

Nothing like groping other men in a circular ring to reassert your masculinity.

Now a UFC forum, that'd Id be into!

Shoot em all and let asok sort them oot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

oh dear god...does this mean i'll have to actually look in on it???

Crazedman.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good God, this is some funny stuff I tells ya.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Doodee wrote:
    hahaha, wrestling.

Nothing like groping other men in a circular ring to reassert your masculinity.

Now a UFC forum, that'd Id be into!

very true, turn than ring into a hexagon and it is all hunky dory..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

UFC is also discussed on the wrestling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

bombidol wrote:
    UFC is also discussed on the wrestling forum.
    Well that'll certainly have to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Amz wrote:
    Well that'll certainly have to stop.

About a year ago I asked could we talk about MMA shows like the UFC in the wrestling forum. And I gave a big long reason why. Phenom accepted it.

The MMA board on this site does talk about the UFC too. But in my opinion, its more about actual MMA rather than the shows itself which is to me expected since its a self defense forum too.

I mean geez, some would say that UFC is closer to the professional wrestling they grew up on than WWE is today. And obviously wrestling is a huge part of MMA too. Plus the majority of pro-wrestling newsletter covers MMA and pro wrestling equally.

So I think theres a fair few reasons why UFC talk should be allowed on the wrestling forum at this current stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

don't listen to amz vince she's a troll.

i think MNG would be an excellent mod, or vince himself. However, I think they should be banned from talking about wrestling outside the 1990-1995 time zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

However, I think they should be banned from talking about wrestling outside the 1990-1995 time zone

Or the "Golden era" - as I understand it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Im happy enough to allow UFC chat on the wrestling board. Given the cross connection between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Mick foley was at a book signing in Easons Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Hah I remember him, at one point he had a sock on his hand and a mask, right ?

damnyanks wrote:
    Hah I remember him, at one point he had a sock on his hand and a mask, right ?

He had a sock on his hand today too!

bombidol wrote:
    Im happy enough to allow UFC chat on the wrestling board. Given the cross connection between the two.
    I don't think it should be split between two forums though.

It should be either SD/MA or Pro-Wrestling.

However pro-wrestling shouldn't really be in sports, because of it's Entertainment television ethos, I belive it should be in TV, or Hosted.

Amz wrote:
    However pro-wrestling shouldn't really be in sports, because of it's Entertainment television ethos, I believe it should be in TV, or Hosted.

Agreed.

How do the enlightened Cmods feel about Scuba diving? Greyhound racing and Darts? I think Pro Wrestling fans are entitled to talk about MMA events from a Pro Wrestling fan perspective in their Pro Wrestling forum. I think MMA mans are entitled to talk about MMA from an martial arts perspective in the SD/MA forum.

Is self-defense a sport these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

171.jpg

How do the enlightened Cmods feel about Scuba diving? Greyhound racing and Darts? I think Pro Wrestling fans are entitled to talk about MMA events from a Pro Wrestling fan perspective in their Pro Wrestling forum. I think MMA mans are entitled to talk about MMA from an martial arts perspective in the SD/MA forum.

Is self-defense a sport these days?
    Before I start, I feel like I'm wasting my time entering into a "conversation" with you, because of your above "troll" comment.

However, if you were a regular reader of this forum, you'd already know my own feelings on some of the forums you've mentioned.

I haven't stopped anyone from discussing MMA in either forum, however MMA by it's nature, and the clue is in the name, is better suited to the Martial Arts forum.

Pro Wrestling is entertainment, it's scripted it's not sport, the very fact that there is no real drug control and testing system in place is enough to show that it does not come under the category of competitive sport. The winners are determined by popularity and marketing, not by skill, or ability.

The very fact that mods have to prevent the spoiling of storylines akin to a TV series is enough to show that it's not in the right cateogry.

As I've already said, this forum shouldn't be in sport, it should be in TV/Arts/Hosted ... Not in Sports.

• Advertisement

I think Pro Wrestling fans are entitled to talk about MMA events from a Pro Wrestling fan perspective in their Pro Wrestling forum. I think MMA mans are entitled to talk about MMA from an martial arts perspective in the SD/MA forum.

Summed it up perfectly. I completely agree.

Just on wrestling, yes its fake and scripted. In saying that the business model for boxing/MMA/pro-wrestling is very similar. For all of them, there goal is to promote a fight in the most effective way to get most amount of people to buy it. They are all about promotion and they are all about telling compelling stories that connect people to them, be it fake or real. Look at the De La Hoya versus Mayweather promotion. Its pro-wrestling esque promotion done unbelievably well.

Like wrestling, generally in boxing/MMA its not the best fighters that draws the most money. Its the most charismatic ones that do eg. Tito Ortiz. A very good fighter sure but its his personality that draws. And thats what its all about for all 3, drawing money.

I know this is veering a little off the topic but I think its just another angle on it.

Amz wrote:

The very fact that mods have to prevent the spoiling of storylines akin to a TV series is enough to show that it's not in the right cateogry.

As I've already said, this forum shouldn't be in sport, it should be in TV/Arts/Hosted ... Not in Sports.

That's a valid point but it's shared by MMA. Some shows get aired a few days earlier on PPV before a lot of people have an opportunity to see them on delayed screening channels so the concept of "no spoiling" is shared in the MMA forum.

I think, fundamentally, despite the personal grudge you have against pro wrestling, the idea that "if it's not broken, don't fix it" should be taken into play. With the minor issue of a new mod they lads seem as happy as larry over there, I presume they don't cause hassle for either CMod.

However, I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference moving it to TV except you'll be giving away one of the most active forums in this category.

wrestling is story driven entertainment. it does not belong in sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Wrestling is scripted? :eek:

That's a valid point but it's shared by MMA. Some shows get aired a few days earlier on PPV before a lot of people have an opportunity to see them on delayed screening channels so the concept of "no spoiling" is shared in the MMA forum.
    I think you missed my point, I don't like spoiling of results etc. as I feel it can ruin the enjoyment of any sporting event, but when the ban on spoilers covers the likes of "OMG Stephanie McMahon is really a man, but is also the Undertaker and Trish Stratus' love child!"
    I think, fundamentally, despite the personal grudge you have against pro wrestling
    Woah horsey, that's a bit of a leap, from thinking that the forum is in the wrong category to holding a personal grudge against pro-wrestling.
    the idea that "if it's not broken, don't fix it" should be taken into play. With the minor issue of a new mod they lads seem as happy as larry over there, I presume they don't cause hassle for either CMod.
    I realise you're only a n00b, but you're clearly wading into this just looking for a row, the forum has had many problems over the years, this is about the third mod change there in less than 2 years. It has often caused hassle for both mods, CMods and Admins (You probably don't remember when ecksor moderated it due to the problems there). So get over your personal grudge against me and do a bit of history before making those statements.
    However, I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference moving it to TV except you'll be giving away one of the most active forums in this category.
    The fact that it's an active forum doesn't matter a jot if it's in an unsuitable category.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think, fundamentally, despite the personal grudge you have against pro wrestling

Honestly, I don't see how it is a personal grudge. It's scripted, there is no actual competition happening etc. etc. All the pro-wrestling fanatics I know all acknowledge this and have no problem with it, for them it's all about entertainment and that's it.

I just cannot see why you'd object to having it moved under TV where it'd be the natural place for fans to look for it.

Amz wrote:
    The fact that it's an active forum doesn't matter a jot if it's in an unsuitable category.

How come you've decided it needs to get moved now? Whats changed?

I have no problem with it being moved either way but I think the casual fan would be more likely to look for it under sports than tv, especially since UFC and Pride shows are getting talked about alot more now. Thats debatable but its my opinion.

Just on problems in the wrestling board, I've been there a while and again I don't know everything thats gone on but I haven't seen too many problems at all. Its generally a really fun board.

Sure things have come up. I''ve brought a couple of things up too that probably gave Phenom a pain in the head but like I said, on the whole its a good board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

nesf wrote:
    Honestly, I don't see how it is a personal grudge.

Of course it's a personal grude, Pro Wrestling was Amz's partner last year, but sold out and attacked Amz with a steel chair when her back was turned.

it's personal for me too...ever since Vince McMahon fired me

• Advertisement

How come you've decided it needs to get moved now? Its no more of a tv show in 2007 than it was in 2001.
    This isn't the first time I've said it should be moved, so I'm not just raising this out of the blue, I have done so in the past.
    I have no problem with it being moved either way but I think the casual fan would be more likely to look for it under sports than tv, especially since UFC and Pride shows are getting talked about alot more now. Thats debatable but its my opinion.
    Yeah, Pride FC and UFC, The Ultimate Fighter series of TV shows etc. are all discussed on the Self Defence/Martial Arts forum, so if people are looking for a forum under the Sports Category to discuss these Sports then there is somewhere for them. They won't, as you seem to be suggesting, left wandering in "no man's land" looking for somewhere to post about MMA. That goes for the casual viewer and the hardcore fans alike. So that's a bit of a moot point.
    Just on problems in the wrestling board, I've been there a while and again I don't know everything thats gone on but I haven't seen too many problems at all. Its generally a really fun board.

Sure things have come up. I''ve brought a couple of things up too that probably gave Phenom a pain in the head but like I said, on the whole its a good board.
    It seems to me that the guys defending pro-wrestling's place in Sports are doing so because they feel that it legitimises their following and enjoyment of it because it's under sport. If it were in Television, or Hosted it would somehow reduce their ability to enjoy it, or post about it. Maybe they feel they can only be taken seriously as fans of the the show if it's considered a Sport.

Advertisement