Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain name already registered

Options
  • 19-04-2007 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

im looking to register a particular domain name, but it seems to be already registered to a company called NAME PERFECTIONS, INC. has anyone any experience of buying a domain off a company like this or how would i go about getting the domain registration off them? it seems to be one of these companies that just buys up domain names.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The only advice I can give is be prepared to pay a fair bit of money for the domain name you are after. Is there no other spelling or little change you can make to the name instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

oochie wrote:
    im looking to register a particular domain name, but it seems to be already registered to a company called NAME PERFECTIONS, INC. has anyone any experience of buying a domain off a company like this or how would i go about getting the domain registration off them? it seems to be one of these companies that just buys up domain names.
    The short answer is: forget about it.

If this domain is making money for the warehouser/aggregator, then they are unlikely to give it up for anything less than a multiple of its yearly revenue. Alternatively if it is one of the scumbag domain taster operations, the domain may only be registered for about 5 days. Check the registration in five or so days as it might have dropped again.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oochie

Thanks guys. this is the whois information. how would i find out when the actual expiration date is? i wouldnt have imagined this particular domain name would be of any value to this company commercially. its basically just the name of a small gaa club. there is a variation on the name available but it would be nice if i could get this particular one

Registrar: NAME PERFECTIONS, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.nameperfections.com
    Referral URL: http://www.nameperfections.com
    Name Server: NS3.ANONDNS.ORG
    Name Server: NS4.ANONDNS.ORG
    Updated Date: 18-apr-2007
    Creation Date: 18-apr-2007
    Expiration Date: 18-apr-2008

>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:38:32 UTC <<<

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
    registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
    currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
    date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
    registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
    view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

So they registered it two days ago !!!

Did you check the name using an online checker in the last few weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

They could be simply tasting the domain, as jmcc already suggested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

blacknight wrote:
    They could be simply tasting the domain, as jmcc already suggested

What exactly is this Tasting the domain ? ... they provisionally register it ? see how many hits its getting ? and decide to get it or not ? (if thats the case I didn't realise you could do that)

Edit: BTW if you show any interest in the domain .. then they'll know at least one person is interested and will probably go to auction or similar .. which could end up costing hundreds if not thousands ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

There is a grace period of 5 days between which a registrant can register a domain name and delete it for a full refund. So basically a registrar a$$hole can buy as many domains as they want and see are there are hits on the domain then drop them before 5 days have elapsed or hold onto them if they get hits. Of course this can be done automatically at little or no cost to the registrar.

OP Your best bet is to wait for another few days and try again. Don't visit the domain name in the mean time.

This must have been a product of a dodgy whois website or registrar website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oochie

previously i had just checked the url in a browser and there was no site and suddenly there was one there yesterday when i went to register it. i think i checked it on whois.net but it could have been on some other site. that must have been how it happened alright.. bit annoying. will leave it for a few days like u suggest. i have visited the site 2 or 3 times but hopefully that wont be enough to encourage them to keep it! what whois site should i use to avoid this type of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Stick to using reputable companies and you should be ok.

You can do a domain check on most vendors' sites ....

Advertisement