Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youve heard of non stick pans... Well i have non stick gates!!!

Options
  • 20-04-2007 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I got metal swing gates for the driveway about 5 years ago. They were galvanise dipped gates and they have been unpainted for 4 years.

Only last summer, i wire brushed them lightly and painted them (unsparingly) with TRIFLOW TOTAL METAL CARE PAINT (BLACK). Lovely job... until now...

I noticed today that there was a few flakes of paint missing, so i powerhosed the gates lightly to get dust/dirt off in preparation of recoating them today.

Now half the paint is missing! flaking off all over the gates! It seems the paint never stuck properly, but it looked fine last summer.

Will i need to get these gates powder coated?

Will i need to get all the paint off and start with a base coat of some sort before reapplying the triflow paint?

What is the best way of sorting this problem?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think you need an acid etch primer to go on first before the triflow.
    Acid etch primers are usually a weak solution of phosphoric acid in the primer, it slightly etches the galv. and applies a layer of iron phosphate which allows the paint top coat to stick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

where is the best place to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I used ordinary white vinegar to etch galvanized downspouts, it provides enough 'key' for the paint. Wipe it on with a rag and let it evaporate , then paint. Never had any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Any good paint shop should stock it, just ask for acid etch primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

only thing is you're gonna have to scrape off all the existing paint to do the job right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

the thing about etching solution is that it's only recommended for coats on unweathered galvanise; any surface that has had a chance to oxidise a little will not benefit from being etched.

Get a proper metal primer, preferably in a colour similar to your finish colour, remove as much triflow as you can and prime it. Allow to dry for 24 hours and then put on your metal finish....those finishes are very hit and miss and I strongly contest their claims that primers are not needed for a decent finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I painted my galvanised gates with Rustins matt black paint and it's never come off in more years than I care to remember ..... :rolleyes:

have to say I'm not a fan of these fancy metal paints (hammerite etc) ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Okay... thanks for the info so far, so it looks like i have to powerhose off the rest of the paint... There goes my saturday!

The majority of responses have been for the acid etching primer... but like wertz was saying... the gates would need to be unweathered for that. My gates have been up for near on 5 years...

I want to get this right this time... so am I okay to use acid etching primer on the gates if they have been weathered for that length of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I wouldn't and the recommended usage on the acid says you shouldn't.
    Use a metal primer on a sound surface (you can get water base ones these days that allow you to put a finish coat on the same day) and then put on your triflow or whatever.

Hobie makes a good point about rustins....that company makes good outdoor coatings...perhaps using their satin or matt black would be a better (and cheaper) alternative to the triflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,439 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Access wrote:
    Okay... thanks for the info so far, so it looks like i have to powerhose off the rest of the paint... There goes my saturday!
    Probably beats sand-blasting it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement