Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What Samsung LCD?

• 20-04-2007 12:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,908 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking at changing my current Philips 28" widescreen CRT TV for a while now, and from looking in shops and reading up a bit, Samsung seem to be one of the best.

The problem is there's soo many options in the 32" range with vastly differing pricing, for example:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/search.asp?q=samsung+32%22+lcd

Can anyone advise which one would be the best for:
    - Sky+
    - standard DVDs/HD DVD (possibly through a new upscaling player)

I've no need for gaming on it so if anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Cheers! :)

EDIT: Opps, just spotted the "video display" forum. Mods, please move if appropriate. Sorry about that :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sorry to hijack your thread a little but...

I second this question. Would like to get a Samsung 32" except I need one for...

-Xbox 360 (also used as a DVD player, it upscales doesn't it?). Might get the HD-DVD drive for this if
    the format ever takes off.
    -Standard Ntl Box
    -Portable Hard drive with component out for Xvid's etc.

Would be connecting the Xbox via VGA, Ntl Box via Scart and Hard drive via component. Sound quality isn't too much of an issue as I plan to get a 5.1 surround system too.

Was leaning towards the LE32R32 due to it's price. €640 delivered on techikdirekt.de. A friend has it and it looks grand to me, what exactly would I get if I spent more and got one of the newer models?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

There are a lot of Samsung models on the market all with incremental improvements in the display.

Usually to find the proper specifications you have to hunt through Samsung EU sites like the German or Dutch ones to get the low down. Oh and ones that end with BD means they have a DVB-T digital TV tuner built into the set as well.

In general the cheapest models are the oldest generation like the LE32R32B still a decent display though the most expensive ones are the latest generation.

I have the LE32N71B & have used the LE26R41B and a few others in action.

The main differences on the latest generations are;
    * Better contrast
    * Improved brightness
    * VGA mode auto centres/strechs itself to the screen.
    * Game mode that boosts contrast and colours when enabled - not available under VGA
    * Card reader SD,Flash the TV can play MP3, JPG
    * Dual HDMI inputs
    * Disable dynamic contrast option is gone which which means it's always on, personally I find that a bit annoying but it's not a biggie.
    * 1080i is an accepted input though it resizes it to 1366x768 the resolution of the panel.

For Xbox 360 usage pretty much all are fine though the game mode is indeed useful but you would want to turn that off if using it as a HD-DVD player as well because the boosted contrast screws with the picture. You'll need to adjust the colours to make things bit more vibrant.

Also on earlier models under VGA mode the TV disables the colour controls so watch out if using the Xbox 360 as some say this leads to a washed out look though others don't mind it, the newer models re-enable colour control in VGA mode so you can correct this.

For TV, HD-DVD etc their fine nothing to worry about to get the best picture quality you will want to adjust the display settings of course to your own preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hi,

I also want to buy a Samsung 32" (due to good rep and I love the style) LCD tv and really just don't know how to decide on which one is right for me.

It will be used as the main TV in the living room - it's a small living room so 32" is perfect size. It will mainly be used for Windows Media Centre, and also web browsing, so good PC connectivity is a must (will be VGA for the moment but I'd upgrade graphics card to DVI out if its worth it).

Will also be used for occasional xBox 360 gaming.

There seems to be plenty of options here but I'd really appreciate some suggestions on which might be best for my purpose without necessarily being top end cost-wise.

Advertisement