Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Aldi & Lidl have a fear of Navan?

Options
  • 20-04-2007 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Are Aldi or Lidl ever going to site in Navan? Does anyone else find this a bit weird?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I'm sure they will at some stage. It's not weird. I'm sure they could acquire land quite easily around Navan, should they want to. Navan's quite a conservative place though, so perhaps the Navan people are happy with their current supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Cavan and Ashbourne has both... it is a bit odd that there aren't more of either in Meath. I thought Lidl was earmarked for planned centre on the Athboy road, and also beside Malone's garage where Navan Hire are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Any SuperValu shops in Navan?

They usually make a huge effort to block the arrival of Aldi or Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

sudzs wrote:

Ya there are two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Archeron

DMC wrote:
    Cavan and Ashbourne has both... it is a bit odd that there aren't more of either in Meath. I thought Lidl was earmarked for planned centre on the Athboy road, and also beside Malone's garage where Navan Hire are now?

To be honest, I find it a bit weird that there isnt more of most stores and retail outlets in Meath. With the exception of Ashboure, and partly Navan, most shops seem to have an aversion to the county. I know that Trim, for a town with a reasonably large population has virtually no decent stores at all. Theres a Lidl, S'valu and Xtravision, and as far as I know thats pretty much it. There is no music shop, and the first ever bookstore only opened about a year ago. If you want to get a bit of dinner at about 7pm in the evening, there's pretty much nowhere to go.
    When I look at towns in Kildare such as Newbridge, Naas, etc, there seems to be a huge void in investment in Meath towns by comparison, particularly in retail developments. I have heard a lot of this is down to some people owning a lot of land/stores in some towns, and preventing new developments coming online, but I dont know how true that could be.

Certainly, I would have expected Navan to have a lot more in it than it does at the moment and it is fairly surprising that there isnt Aldi/Lidl already. Navan could be a cool town, and would be somewhere I'd be happy to go instead of Dublin (as would Trim), but only if shiopping and recreational options improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

europerson wrote:
    I'm sure they will at some stage. It's not weird. I'm sure they could acquire land quite easily around Navan, should they want to. Navan's quite a conservative place though, so perhaps the Navan people are happy with their current supermarkets.

Are you mad? i'd be delighted if either of them came to Navan. Im sick of shopping in the worst dunnes stores in ireland. (built on a two level ramp!)

And, actually, come to think of it... were the Navan town planners on drugs during the seventies? The whole layout of Kennedy road car park is nuts!

But anyway, back to my original point... i am geting pissed off driving to trim to lidl for decent wine and foreign beer. Cant wait until they arrive here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

There is a massive retail park being built on the Athboy road, its quite possible that one of them could go in there.
    There was rumours ages ago that Lidl was going in where Beechmount Garden Centre was, as that whole triangle was being bought to put a shopping centre into, but obviously nothing happened.

Access wrote:
    Are you mad? i'd be delighted if either of them came to Navan. Im sick of shopping in the worst dunnes stores in ireland. (built on a two level ramp!)
    In fairness, no-one's forcing you to shop there: you have Tesco and Super Valu and other places too. Maybe you don't like any of them.
    And, actually, come to think of it... were the Navan town planners on drugs during the seventies? The whole layout of Kennedy road car park is nuts!
    I don't think that's really the fault of the town: that car park is actually a sequence of several private properties and no single owner wants to develop with the others not going to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

I find tesco in navan great. its open till 12 week nights and so handy. I dont go near dunnes at all cause its filthy!
    Supervalu is a total rip off aswell.
    Lidl & Aldi only 20 mins away in drogheda.....not a long trip people!

Dunne's is being renovated at the moment afaik.
    Trim is about 10 minutes from Navan (Lidl)
    Drogheda/Ashbourne both about 20 minutes (Aldi)

Must admit though its surprising neither of those two are here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Archeron wrote:
    To be honest, I find it a bit weird that there isnt more of most stores and retail outlets in Meath. With the exception of Ashboure, and partly Navan, most shops seem to have an aversion to the county. I know that Trim, for a town with a reasonably large population has virtually no decent stores at all. Theres a Lidl, S'valu and Xtravision, and as far as I know thats pretty much it. There is no music shop, and the first ever bookstore only opened about a year ago. If you want to get a bit of dinner at about 7pm in the evening, there's pretty much nowhere to go.
    When I look at towns in Kildare such as Newbridge, Naas, etc, there seems to be a huge void in investment in Meath towns by comparison, particularly in retail developments. I have heard a lot of this is down to some people owning a lot of land/stores in some towns, and preventing new developments coming online, but I dont know how true that could be.

Certainly, I would have expected Navan to have a lot more in it than it does at the moment and it is fairly surprising that there isnt Aldi/Lidl already. Navan could be a cool town, and would be somewhere I'd be happy to go instead of Dublin (as would Trim), but only if shiopping and recreational options improved.
    As an outsider from Louth, I've found the opposite at that time to be honest. There's a lovely diner type of place in the centre of Trim which I ate in en-route home at 6.30 pm which had lovely lasagne and vol au vents. Not too fancy but there's no place that's like it in Drogheda (that I can think of).

I'm astonished that there is no sort of shop like that in Navan. Navan does seem to be overlooked for things like that a lot. Navan have done poorly out of the Celtic Tiger imo.

As an outsider from Louth, I've found the opposite at that time to be honest. There's a lovely diner type of place in the centre of Trim which I ate in en-route home at 6.30 pm which had lovely lasagne and vol au vents. Not too fancy but there's no place that's like it in Drogheda (that I can think of).

I'm astonished that there is no sort of shop like that in Navan. Navan does seem to be overlooked for things like that a lot. Navan have done poorly out of the Celtic Tiger imo.

If thats the place called Beninis facing the castle (which was really good) its sadly closed down, and the premises has been empty for a while. I know they did a surprising range of vol o vonts, so it might have been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Archeron wrote:
    There is no music shop, and the first ever bookstore only opened about a year ago. If you want to get a bit of dinner at about 7pm in the evening, there's pretty much nowhere to go.
    When I look at towns in Kildare such as Newbridge, Naas, etc, there seems to be a huge void in investment in Meath towns by comparison,

Music shops will never, ever, survive in towns of less than 8000 people ever again :)
    Bookstores have a chance.
    You cannot compare Newbridge and Naas to Trim in terms of population.
    Nothing to do with investment, it's sup[ply and demand....

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Music shops will never, ever, survive in towns of less than 8000 people ever again :)
    Bookstores have a chance.
    You cannot compare Newbridge and Naas to Trim in terms of population.
    Nothing to do with investment, it's sup[ply and demand....

I know theres a huge difference in population, and that obviosuly affects a lot, hence the reason Ashbourne has so much new development, but as regards the supply and demand aspect of it, Trim and Navan have the demand, but there just doesnt seem to be much happening in relation to it. I accept your point about music stores in smaller towns, that was perhaps a bad example, but Trim essentially closes at 6pm and becomes a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Archeron wrote:
    Trim essentially closes at 6pm and becomes a ghost town.

It always did, thought it would have improved in recent years, but obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

CBA reading all of this but I'll give you what I know. Aldi were to locate beside the school in the old dogtracks. Funnily its right across the road from Birds/Carolans suprvalu. Not happening!

europerson wrote:
    In fairness, no-one's forcing you to shop there: you have Tesco and Super Valu and other places too. Maybe you don't like any of them.

I don't think that's really the fault of the town: that car park is actually a sequence of several private properties and no single owner wants to develop with the others not going to do anything.

Jesus europerson, would you like a saucer of milk! :)

I shop in most of them, tescos is quite good for the big shop, and super valu in Johnstown is great, except they have the most narrow parking spaces in Ireland. (Everytime i go there i find yet another dent on my car, and i dont drive a big car and im not the only one to notice this!), so i rarely go there now.

But you have missed my point... lidl and aldi are great for wine and foreign beer. The major shops arent in my opinion.

And on the point of Kennedy road in navan being all over the place... You must admit that it is a bit of a patch job, and most of the car park outside the likes of extra vision etc is belonging to the council. The only premises with there own car park is sean donoghues. The whole area has always looked like a patched bodge job car park.

Access wrote:
    super valu in Johnstown is great, except they have the most narrow parking spaces in Ireland.
    Seconded.
    And on the point of Kennedy road in navan being all over the place... You must admit that it is a bit of a patch job, and most of the car park outside the likes of extra vision etc is belonging to the council. The only premises with there own car park is sean donoghues. The whole area has always looked like a patched bodge job car park.
    I always thought the Council only owned the central section and leased the northmost section. I stand corrected.

The area in preston place near mcdonalds isn't the councils, they've a different pay meter thing there.

I heard it was aldi going in where the greyhound track used to be. Local Business threw the rattle out of the pram there!

Last summer when lidl were refused planning permission there was so many petitions going around drogheda. it got quite a lot of support. We now have 2 lidl stores and 1 aldi, with another aldi on the way.

maybe just the majority of the people of navan arent arsed either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

sudzs wrote:

Lol funny you say that.

Lidl has just come to Ardee and at the same time, SuperValu built a bigger premises. It's good tho'.

And in Ashbourne they have Dunnes Stores, Tesco, SuperValu, Lidl, & Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I heard a rumour that in the Blackwater Retail Park, they were going to build a Lidl, but I myself think it is a bit too small for such a place. Oh yeah, apparently there is an underground gym being built there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Archeron wrote:
    I know that Trim, for a town with a reasonably large population has virtually no decent stores at all. Theres a Lidl, S'valu and Xtravision, and as far as I know thats pretty much it.

That's more than enough of the tripe to be perfectly honest. As a proud resident of Trim town I'm only too happy that we haven't been bombarded with the tack Navan and Ashbourne have. O'Briens sandwich bars and offies, Tesco, ARGOS, Boots, Heatons, Lifestyle Sports? It's a heritage town and should retain some old Ireland charm for as long as it can. I'd hate to see my town turned into a clone of just about every other provincial town in the country. Locally-owned shops, pubs and restaurants are what this town and most other towns in Ireland were about until 5 or 10 years ago. Kells and Trim, as Meath's 2 heritage towns, should never change from the way they are now. They can grow and grow and grow, but I'd hate to ever see what are essentially either Irish-owned but soulless companies or British high street shops edging their way in here.

upmeath wrote:
    That's more than enough of the tripe to be perfectly honest. As a proud resident of Trim town I'm only too happy that we haven't been bombarded with the tack Navan and Ashbourne have. O'Briens sandwich bars and offies, Tesco, ARGOS, Boots, Heatons, Lifestyle Sports? It's a heritage town and should retain some old Ireland charm for as long as it can. I'd hate to see my town turned into a clone of just about every other provincial town in the country. Locally-owned shops, pubs and restaurants are what this town and most other towns in Ireland were about until 5 or 10 years ago. Kells and Trim, as Meath's 2 heritage towns, should never change from the way they are now. They can grow and grow and grow, but I'd hate to ever see what are essentially either Irish-owned but soulless companies or British high street shops edging their way in here.

Well, EXCUUUUUUSE me for having a differing opinion on the matter. You may not agree with me on this matter, but because its a different opinion does not make it "tripe". I do think it is a beautiful town, but there are certain inescapable truths in relation to it:

Choice in the town is extremely limited in relation to many things that people purchase on a regular basis. For example, household items, electronics, clothing. OK, so there is 1 or 2 stores providing these things, but do you really want to pay way over the odds because there's no competition? I know I certainly dont, and I would like to see some choice. I have on occasion accepted the rip off prices because I didnt want to make the journey to Navan or Blanch, but thats not the way it should be.

Recreational options are highly limited in the town too. I have actually had tourists ask what there is to do in the town in the night/evening, and I cant really say I gave them too many options bar going to the pub. This isnt everybodys cup of tea you know. Most people who come to see the castle leave the town the same day, and I honestly feel that this is a waste of what could be a very valuable resource in a town that should attract many more tourists, AND be able to keep them for a while to spend some money.

Many of the local people are downright rude to both tourists and to so called "blow ins". There is definitely an issue with this in Trim, in fact moreso that most other towns I've been in. I have actually seen American tourists be told that the pub they were in was closing at 10pm (blinds pulled an everything for authenticity). After they left, the bar re-opened, I mean WTF??
    Obviosuly there are many lovely people in Trim, but I have seen examples like the above more in Trim that any other town I've ever been in.

Sunday, most places dont even open. I like to be able to do something of a Sunday, but options are limited to say the least. MAybe I'll go to Sally Rogers when they open at 2 or 3pm, presuming of course its not one of those days that they just dont bother opening at all until 6.

In relation to your comment on souless companies, I never for one moment suggested that the likes of Argos and those others come to town (perhaps O Briens as thats actually nice, and not exactly what I call a faceless corporation), and it is possible for development to happen with sensitivity to a towns history and culture taken into account. Do you think that perhaps Supermacs and the motor centre on the trim-Navan road should not have opened? Maybe Lidl shouldnt have opened either? I know I am very pleased to have these facilities as IMO previous to this, there was no good mechanics in the town at all and the other supermarket was fleecing everybody. What about the Beacon restaurant thats fairly new to town? Should that have opened? As far as I'm concerned, thats the only quality restaurant in the town (fantasitc restuarant, but a tad pricey). Some more options would be wonderful.

Trims population is growing drastically, thats obvious from all the housing developments going up, and the facilities and shops to service this should be built. AFAIK Trims population is due to hit about 12000 in the next 5 years, and what is in the town right now has no hope of providing adequate choice or value to those people. As it is, the town barely even has any cohesive town centre. With the exception of market street, (which is not exactly a shoppers paradise itself) there is no proper town centre feel to the town, and the shops that are available are way too scattered and piecemeal. Hopefully the new street beside Trim Castle hotel will go some way to addressing that.

Or maybe the idea is that if we want bargains, we should just toddle up to Blanchardstown with the rest of the rat race. Buy local? I would, but the options have to be there for me to do so.

Again, I state that these are my opinions, and I am entitled to them, so you could do with keeping your "tripe" comments to yourself. You are entitled to your opinion too, and I wont try to insult you because of it.

OP, I apologize for dragging the thread off topic, but I really think that the attitude in that post is one of the biggest reasons why development such as the type you are asking about would not be bothered about going to many towns in Meath. Why would they when they have plenty of towns who are more than delighted to have their options extended, and their town centres develop into something more than a selection of exclusionist pubs, and property owners who fear that competition will quite rightly remove their sickening monopoly on town centre shopping.

I think all of MEath is the most beautiful county in Ireland, but I do think that there is a serious attitude problem from many residents, and as a result of this, the county is being left behind in terms of development.

Speaking of Trim, i was there last month for the first time in years, i had to go to a seminar in the Knightsbrooke Hotel (i think thats what its called) and was so amazed at the amount of new houses on the way to it.
    Very funny location for a beautiful hotel smack bang in the middle of a housing estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Archeron, by "tripe" I didn't mean "shut up with your tripe", or anything like that, I meant bland soul-less companies, that sort of tacky Oirish tripe. No offence intended!

upmeath wrote:
    Archeron, by "tripe" I didn't mean "shut up with your tripe", or anything like that, I meant bland soul-less companies, that sort of tacky Oirish tripe. No offence intended!

Cheers dude. I just wish I could buy more stuff locally as I like to try to do that for the benefit of the local economy, but I agree with the blandness thing, t'would be a shame to see that happen in Trim.

Knightsbrook is lovely, fantastic hotel, great golf course and facilities.
    My wedding reception is going to be there in 2009, i'm not all to concerned about its position, because the layout of the hotel dictates you don't see all the houses. Just the holiday homes they have on site.

Trims a nice enough town, but not too much in it. This Beacon restaurant? never heard of it where is it? Coz Franzini's or whatever its called was crap the last time i was there!

sofireland wrote:
    This Beacon restaurant? never heard of it where is it? Coz Franzini's or whatever its called was crap the last time i was there!

The Beacon is part of Brogans new complex, and you can get into it either through the old bar, or else through the arched entrance at the car park round the side. Sorry, cant think of the name of the street, but if you are driving up Market street (the main street with Xtravision it) and took a left, near the top of that street on the left is Brogans, and at the top corner, take a left and the arched entrance is on the left. You cant drive that way, but the driving directions are confusing because of the new one way system, so best to just park on market street and walk :)

I would recommend it to anyone, I had a birthday party there last October, and it was one of the nicest places I've ever been, anywhere in Ireland. Stafff were absolutely top notch, food was fantasic, great atmosphere, and very obliging. (they allowed us to bring in a cake from outside, stored it in the fridge for us, an then lit the candles and brought it out in the dark with the piano man playing "happy birthday", which I though was very decent of them). The prices are steep, so more a special occasion type of thing, but Brogans pub part do bar food, and their €12 steak sandwhich and chips is fantasic. Couldnt rate the complex higher to be honest, you should try it next time you're in Trim.

I dont much about Franzini's, but I went to have a look once to decide whether or not to eat there, but I thought it looked a bit like Del Boys flat out of Only Fools and Horses, so I didnt go in.

• Advertisement

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO!

Hold yer fecking horses! :):):)

Are we slightly going off topic here... do i see the word TRIM in the heading? :D

Anyway... now that we know Trim is great and all.... :rolleyes:

I have spotted in the paper that there is a Lidl or Aldi going into the shopping complex on the Athboy road and Someone did confirm that a Lidl or Aldi is going out the Kells road... somewhere near Navan Hire or so ive been told.

When? God only know when they would be completed!

Anyway thats good news... but i have to laugh at what ~Leanne~ said, and she is right... there are 2 lidl stores and 1 aldi, with another aldi on the wayin drogheda! I find that funny - are they always full?

Advertisement