Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What could I get?

• 20-04-2007 1:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hello Dear Boards,

I've 1 week to finish off my dissertation. It's getting to the stage where I reckon I'll be working off as little sleep as possible and trying not to waste time going to shops and things like that.

So I was wondering if people could reccomend me some foods I could buy / make that meet the following criteria.
      1. Not too heavy (MAke me feel bloaty :) )
      2. Either quick to make / cook or can be eaten as is
      3. Wont go off during the space of a week

That's it really. I usually stick to stir fry for quick decent food but that takes me an hour or there abouts in total (Cutting everything up , cooking and eating)

Dont have the cash to order in. Right now I'm living off of apples, chewing gum, coffee, wraps, stir fry, cerial and water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭patrickc

koka noodles and bread/toast filling and quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

P.s variety is a great option :)

Not a huge fan of bread. It just stuffs the belly. Sure I could eat crisps... although they have no hunky dory :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭patrickc

eggs also quick to cook and u can do so much with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I'm weird about eggs. At least friyed eggs. IF you've ever boilt milk too long it looks like eggs. Its yucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hmm... when I'm studying I usually start the day with porridge.
      And I stock up on M&S meals. If I find any distraction I will whole heartedly embrace it with both hands. So a ready meal is the only way I can escape that trap! Or else I'll start cooking some over elaborate meal just for me. I call it my ABS...
      'Anything But Study' program. I even learnt how to juggle one year. I'm quite the expert now :)

These are all 15 mins or less items:

An aul poached egg + rashers + cream cheese in a bagel is a nice snack! And filling.

Poached egg on a waffle with a slice of plastic cheese underneath.

Cook pasta, and while that is cooking:
      Cook chopped smoked rashers in pan, add garlic.
      Add creme fraiche, parmesan, basil and lemon juice.
      Mix in cooked pasta. Eat!

Another cheat - get a jar of salsa, jar of jalapenos, cheese and sour cream/creme fraiche.
      Plop jalapenos, salsa & cheese into the middle of a tortilla.
      Lash in microwave for about a min. Put sour cream on and roll it up.
      Instant tortilla thingy.

Orr.... a fav of mine from my yoof:
      Put some chunks of cheese, tomato & onion in a bowl.
      Lash in microwave.
      When it melts - spread it on toast.

Even just cooked pasta with pesto stirred through is a nice snack.

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Get a bag of tortilla chips, a tin of tomatoes, an onion, couple of cloves of garlic, chillies, chunk of cheese. I assume you might have a few spices knocking around.

Chop & fry up the onion & garlic. While they're happening, open up the tin of tomatoes and chop the chillies fine - as many as you like for the heat factor.

When the onions are soft, chuck in the chilli, stir around for a minute then add some ground coriander & ground cumin. Season off with a shake of soy sauce & another of wine vinegar.

Chuck in the tomatoes, pulverise together with a wooden spoon and let simmer for a bit while you go and study.

When the sauce has thickened, put a bed of tortilla chips in a heatproof bowl, pour the sauce on top, grate loads of cheese all over it and whack it in the oven on no 6 20 mins until the top browns off.

Eat fantastic baked mexican nachos. Total prep time, about 15 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i would never "chuck" anything intended for consumption :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Buy enough of the following for seven days. Freeze if necessary. It's repetitive but everything's easy, light(ish) and reasonably nutritious.

*Breakfast:
      Porridge / Cinnamon / Yoghurt
      Good quality juice / smoothies
      Green Tea

*Lunch:
      Tortillas
      Grilled Chicken Breast
      Salad
      Greek Yoghurt
      Mint
      Water

*Dinner:
      Fresh pasta
      Bunalun Sauce of your choice
      Peppers
      Mushrooms
      Salmon
      Red Wine (for drinking, I mean. It's important to unwind at the end of a hard day's writing). Pinot Noir goes well with salmon.

Snacks?
      *Avocado mixed with tuna and tomato.
      *Macademia or Cashew nuts.
      *"Food Doctor" Bars (from Health Shop)

Best of luck with the dissertation. My MSc thesis has spilled horribly into a second unplanned year. It's more than good eating I need to save me at this stage :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

i would never "chuck" anything intended for consumption :eek:

Sorry, of course what I meant to say was "place tomatoes elegantly and delicately in pan alongside the other ingredients, and stir gently with a refined action until the sauce is mashed to a pulp" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

damnyanks wrote:
      Hello Dear Boards,

I've 1 week to finish off my dissertation. It's getting to the stage where I reckon I'll be working off as little sleep as possible and trying not to waste time going to shops and things like that.

So I was wondering if people could reccomend me some foods I could buy / make that meet the following criteria.

Damnyanks, as a fellow student, I can say this: You're timewasting! Get back to work and stop browsing the net!

• Advertisement
    Advertisement