Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed new train station

• 20-04-2007 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Oh My God. Has anyone seen that monstrosity of a design for the new train station? - there's a big banner hanging off the current station showing a picture of it.
    I nearly cried, it's horrendous. I may have to emigrate :(

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I think it looks ok. Thats a multi-story carpark you are looking at in the left of the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Funnily enough, I like it. It complainants the Brewery on the other side of the river and the new bridge that you will be able to see when in that area. Anyway, it is an improvement on what is there. It could be a while before anything happens there though; surprise, surprise McCann has lodged an objection. A green party member objecting to improving the public transport infrastructure – that makes sense!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I haven't seen the design for the new one, but honestly how can it be any worse than the pile of sh1te that's there at the moment. I can't think of an uglier train station in the entire country :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

If you want to write to Brendan McCann please do so by leaving a message at http://www.village.ie/Election_07/Questionnaire/Green_-_Brendan_McCann/

and scroll down to the end of the page

Bards wrote:
    If you want to write to Brendan McCann please do so by leaving a message at http://www.village.ie/Election_07/Questionnaire/Green_-_Brendan_McCann/

and scroll down to the end of the page

I left a message last week but they never added it to the list. In fairness, I did not hold back on writing what I think about him and his activates; it could have been libellous.:p :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Ah now lads, the current train station is fast becoming landmark period architecture! We should be celebrating our past and trying to protect the 'complex' beauty of the present structure. Boo to progress I say, how dare they try to replace it with something infinitely better! :rolleyes: (Again, I'm assuming that no matter how awful the design is, it's infinitely better... Pretty safe assumption I think...)

I left a message last week but they never added it to the list. In fairness, I did not hold back on writing what I think about him and his activates; it could have been libellous.:p :D

to get it posted you must insert the characters that are displayed before hitting the submit button. an annoying anti-spam feature

merlante wrote:
    Ah now lads, the current train station is fast becoming landmark period architecture! We should be celebrating our past and trying to protect the 'complex' beauty of the present structure. Boo to progress I say, how dare they try to replace it with something infinitely better! :rolleyes: (Again, I'm assuming that no matter how awful the design is, it's infinitely better... Pretty safe assumption I think...)

It would tie in nicely with the Brewary building on the opposite quay

Bards wrote:
    to get it posted you must insert the characters that are displayed before hitting the submit button. an annoying anti-spam feature

I did that. It was probably just libellous.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kitty_kilkenny

the banner says 'Proposed new station'. Does that mean that we are allowed to officially give our opinion about it? and if so, to whom? Cos I am writing sharpening my pencil for a letter...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where can I see this design?

The current box is a fine example of 60/70s corporate Brutalism and as such proberly is deserving of a preservation order as was the old Government Building facade in the Glen and the ESB on the Mall. ;)

Mike.

the banner says 'Proposed new station'. Does that mean that we are allowed to officially give our opinion about it? and if so, to whom? Cos I am writing sharpening my pencil for a letter...:D

Kitty, what happens if the new design gets blocked, and another one doesn't come along for a few years, or the next government decide that Wexford need a new train station more than Waterford, and we are left stuck with the rude ugliness of the current structure? (Plus no carpark, etc.)

merlante wrote:
    Kitty, what happens if the new design gets blocked, and another one doesn't come along for a few years, or the next government decide that Wexford need a new train station more than Waterford, and we are left stuck with the rude ugliness of the current structure? (Plus no carpark, etc.)

What? so we should settle for a shiny ugly building just because it's new? I don't think so. We should have a beautiful building that is a pleasure to look at and reflects the style and atmosphere of Waterford architecture.

Mike65 - there's a giant banner hanging off the train station with a picture of the new 'proposed' station. You can't miss it.

What? so we should settle for a shiny ugly building just because it's new? I don't think so. We should have a beautiful building that is a pleasure to look at and reflects the style and atmosphere of Waterford architecture.

Why don't you answer the question that I asked you?

merlante wrote:

1. If the new design gets blocked - good result I'd say
    2. Another one doesn't come along for a few years - hardly a tragedy
    3. Wexford need a new train station more than Waterford - They are not on the same train routes, so it's unlikely that Wexord would get a new station instead of Waterford.
    4. we are left stuck with the rude ugliness of the current structure - I think the proposed station is equally ugly.

1. If the new design gets blocked - good result I'd say
    2. Another one doesn't come along for a few years - hardly a tragedy
    3. Wexford need a new train station more than Waterford - They are not on the same train routes, so it's unlikely that Wexord would get a new station instead of Waterford.
    4. we are left stuck with the rude ugliness of the current structure - I think the proposed station is equally ugly.

The 1st point is still irrelevant to the question. 2: Every second that the current building is there is a tragedy; 3: With a new government anything could happen (could be 'no minister no station', but you can be sure there'll be a minister somewhere else...); 4: If it's anything like what they published ages ago in the paper, then it's no where near as ugly. Nothing could be as ugly as what's there.

merlante wrote:
    Nothing could be as ugly as what's there.

Sadly, I believe it could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Why does the new station even have to be in the same place as the old one?

Could they not move the new station up in the Ferrybank direction and make it part of the North Quays. This North Quays development after all is supposed to be the "second city-centre" for Waterford, and that roundabout is Bedlam with all the traffic trying to get out of the current railway station, so why not build the station as part of the North Quays, with an exit onto the Ferrybank dual carriageway.

Most railway stations all over Europe are underneath shopping centres and offices, so why not do the same here?

fricatus wrote:
    Why does the new station even have to be in the same place as the old one?

Could they not move the new station up in the Ferrybank direction and make it part of the North Quays. This North Quays development after all is supposed to be the "second city-centre" for Waterford, and that roundabout is Bedlam with all the traffic trying to get out of the current railway station, so why not build the station as part of the North Quays, with an exit onto the Ferrybank dual carriageway.

Most railway stations all over Europe are underneath shopping centres and offices, so why not do the same here?

Legal reasons for a start. CIE are already fighting with the developers of the North Quays over a strip of access land, basically holding the whole damn project up. They don't sound like a crowd you want to have to deal with, and I doubt they're the most dynamic of organisations. Besides there's a design for the North Quays and a design for the train station already there.

I'm beginning to wonder if anything of any consequence is ever going to be built in Waterford. Is Railway Sq. at least open yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

they should try and make it as close to the old one as possible, that one was quiet nice, not like the Stalin Station Box we have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

merlante wrote:
    CIE are already fighting with the developers of the North Quays over a strip of access land, basically holding the whole damn project up.

Ah for f[beep]s[beep]ke... that's just bloody typical, useless public-sector monolithic dinosaurs. Go back to the f***ing '70s lads with your jobs for life and collective bargaining and let the rest of us build some buildings and create some jobs!

merlante wrote:
    ...and I doubt they're the most dynamic of organisations.

Where'd you get that impression? ;)

merlante wrote:
    Is Railway Sq. at least open yet?

No! How bloody long has that project been in getting up and running? I swear, it moves slower than a glacier. Apparently though, the new cinema will open in June, and presumably the Super Valu and Pizza Hut (the two anchor tenants) are due to open around then too.

The apartments appear to be in use, maybe the offices too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

pizza hut ?!

yuk!
    yuk!yuk!

yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!

magick wrote:
    pizza hut ?!

yuk!
    yuk!yuk!

yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!yuk!

Pizza Hut conjures up 80's Rathmines in Dublin, grotty bedsits - Double yuk with pepperoni :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

merlante wrote:
    Is Railway Sq. at least open yet?

Nope not yet, doesn't look like it will be for another couple of months...

Advertisement