Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need cyclist education

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Jeez...I came home today there along the N11 cycle lane as usual, past the galloping green, where they are building those new "mark mcinerny homes". The heavy vehicles (cement mixers, etc.) they park on the cycle lanes during the morning have accentuated all the pot holes to the point where my bike was shuddering violently.

Couple this with the "up-and-down" sinusoidal motion from driveway, cycle path, driveway and all the crap that the builders brush onto the cycle path, its a nightmare.

When I get my Giant on sat it will be a bus lane trip from now on and feck the gardai. This is also a problem next to my house: private developments that take a year to build, constant flow of heavy vehicles and the owner of said house/developement seems under no obligation to have to repair the road (fyi, its brighton rd if anyone is familiar with it, or "**** street" as i like to call it).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

noblestee wrote:
    Quick question also.. anyone know if its illegal to cycle on a road where a footpath-type cycle track is provided? from templeogue bridge down to the village there is generally cars parked on it/cars pulling out or good aul bin day, so i choose to use the road, seems to get some drivers fairly angry.
    Not in Templeogue village a lot but know the cycle lane and don't use it. Seems to arouse _particuar_ driver agression all right, don't know why exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    the owner of said house/developement seems under no obligation to have to repair the road
    Contact the Planning or Building Enforcement department of the county council to see if they developer has obligations wrt road condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Jeez...I came home today there along the N11 cycle lane as usual, past the galloping green, where they are building those new "mark mcinerny homes". The heavy vehicles (cement mixers, etc.) they park on the cycle lanes during the morning have accentuated all the pot holes to the point where my bike was shuddering violently.

Couple this with the "up-and-down" sinusoidal motion from driveway, cycle path, driveway and all the crap that the builders brush onto the cycle path, its a nightmare.

When I get my Giant on sat it will be a bus lane trip from now on and feck the gardai. This is also a problem next to my house: private developments that take a year to build, constant flow of heavy vehicles and the owner of said house/developement seems under no obligation to have to repair the road (fyi, its brighton rd if anyone is familiar with it, or "**** street" as i like to call it).

Guards don't seem to give a shít about that sorta stuff btw, I live on a main road and there's building going on about 500m up the road. I came out of my house a couple of weeks ago to find a big truck parked right in front of my gate. I was in the car that day and couldn't get out. They'd been parking on the road for the whole week, really dangerous if you're a cyclist because one side of the road is only as wide as a truck, so I had overtake them in the mornings while other cars were trying to, pretty dangerous imo. But anyway, finding a truck in front of my gate and it taking a good 5 mins to move (I was in a rush) was the last straw, I was like feck this, so I called into the Gardai, they didn't have any interest at all. Why would anyone bother helping the Gardai with anything serious if that's the way they're treated, it's such a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Has anyone actually been stopped for not using the cycle lane? I cycled in Dublin for 18 months, never used a cycle lane, and was never stopped. Leads me to believe it's yet another law that's not enforced (quite rightly in my opinion).

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

Mucco wrote:
    Has anyone actually been stopped for not using the cycle lane? I cycled in Dublin for 18 months, never used a cycle lane, and was never stopped. Leads me to believe it's yet another law that's not enforced (quite rightly in my opinion).

Like I said earlier, I was stopped on Drumcondra road by GTC. He drove past, stayed level with me and started shouting about not using the lane. Then he pulled past and stopped to make sure I left the road. I've been cycling for years and that's the only time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Mucco wrote:

M
    been cycling from firhouse to city centre every day for 4 years now, rarely use cycle tracks, obviously i use the track on the side of a road, but never up-on-a-kerb type.. probably about 20-30% of the route is those... never been stopped.

I was stopped only once, on the Stillorgan road - in 1995 or so, before it was compulsory (1998?) I simply pointed out that there was no law that compelled me to use it, and seemly uncertain of the law this seemed to throw him off continuing. Just as well, as it was past midnight and I lacked any lights. (I am far more responsible on the latter point now.) IIRC, he was not being a bollox but was genuinely concerned for my safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

blorg wrote:
    I was stopped only once, on the Stillorgan road - in 1995 or so, before it was compulsory (1998?)
    It became compulsory in 1997 at which time driving cars and trucks in cycle tracks/lanes was not allowed at all. The cycling lobby groups probably accepted the compulsory element because they saw that they were getting some dedicated roadspace.

In 1998, in a bait & switch tactic, the PDs changed the law to allow driving of all kinds of cars and trucks in any bike lanes which have broken white lines on the outside (most do).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I know the one your talking about, in fact I remember there being a thread around here not too long ago which had pictures of ridiculous cyclepath situations (e.g. A traffic light pole sitting right in the middle of a cycle path) and the turn off you describe is pictured in it. Must try and find it...
    Is this the one?

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/

it's classic. I love the archive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/

Looks like the cycle lanes in the Blanchardstown shopping centre.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    ...N11 cycle lane... When I get my Giant on sat it will be a bus lane trip from now on and feck the gardai.
    The Gardai don't care, but Dublin Bus drivers do and a minority will actually try to kill you if they find you in the N11 bus lane. A mirror is very handy if you plan on cycling in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blorg wrote:
    The Gardai don't care, but Dublin Bus drivers do and a minority will actually try to kill you if they find you in the N11 bus lane. A mirror is very handy if you plan on cycling in the bus lane.

Where should you actually cycle on the stretch between whites cross & foxrock church. AFAIK the majority of the "cycle track" is incorrectly marked so is technically a footpath. Should you therefore be in the bus lane or in the car lane next to the bus lane?

The track is in an unbelievable state at the bus shelter just after whites cross. and they have a barrier up to stop you going directly past the front of the bus shelter and onto the track, therefore you are forced onto the rubble. It is good in a sense because it slows you down since when you do get around the bus shelter there will be a bunch of people standing on the cycletrack resting against that nice barrier :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Its not the rubble that bothers me, its further down the track with the driveways, crap from the building site, the traffic light and lamppost at the junction for loreto college that is just wide enough to squeeze the handlebars thru, etc.

Personally I cycle in the bus lane (downhill towards the church) but keep an eye in my mirror for a bus so I can get out of their way.

The other direction I tend to avoid entirely and cycle through Foxrock (Westminster/Torquay road) instead.

If a cycle path is legally "obstructed" I belive you can use the road, although not all Dublin Bus drivers will agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Its not the rubble that bothers me, its further down the track with the driveways, crap from the building site, the traffic light and lamppost at the junction for loreto college that is just wide enough to squeeze the handlebars thru, etc.
    We should tell the extreme sports forum about that cycletrack, you could charge people for goes on it, more adrenalin rushes than funderland. Reminds me of that old video game paperboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

blorg wrote:
    If a cycle path is legally "obstructed" I belive you can use the road, although not all Dublin Bus drivers will agree...
    The law is quite explicit that the only time you may not use a cycle track is when it is legally obstructed, by a parked car or a bus taking stopping for passengers.

Strictly speaking, if a cycle track is illegally obstructed, you're supposed to wait (forever) & don't try and call the Gardai on your cellphone as that would be illegal too.

But since this is Ireland, people pretend to make good laws and others pretend to observe them, that's how things work here.

Advertisement