Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Smoothie Unit

Options
  • 20-04-2007 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hey I'm thinking of setting up a Juice/smoothie van with my partner and was wondering if anybody could give me advice on what kind of health and safety issues I would have to address and also would I need some sort or permit? Would I be allowed to sell at any reasonable place such as a car park beside a beach? I'm just wondering could anyone give me advice about what I would have to do to be able to get the business up and running?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Check out these distintive catering vans if you are thinking of pursuing this idea.

http://www.towability.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kevin Monk 2

Hey Deadalus,

I'm planning to do something very similar in the South East of England. I assume you're in Ireland in which case I can't offer much advice. The UK government provide a website called www.businesslink.org.uk. THis provides info on licence applications, permits, food establishment registration etc. There may well be something in Ireland. I'm getting a business plan together myself in order to obtain funding. Your welcome to view it and perhaps we can swap ideas/problems/tactics. I'm presonally looking in to renovating an ice cream van but the biggest hurdle for me is the local government licencing.

Please give me a ring some time, preferably in the evening as I'd love to discuss it. My mobile number is +44 7736 066408 or alternatively e-mail me

k e v i n (@) m a n g o s w i s s . com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ballooba wrote:
    Check out these distintive catering vans if you are thinking of pursuing this idea.

http://www.towability.co.uk/

Thats great info, is there any other site you have that sell piaggio rickshaw's

Think they're called Mules?

They're over priced imo.

They are in carzone sometimes.

Piaggio Ape. There's a few in the UK AutoTrader. Under vans.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    Piaggio Ape. There's a few in the UK AutoTrader. Under vans.

thanks, its my friend thats looking for one, he wants to try and open a mobile coffee shop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kevin Monk 2

Not just me that's been inspired by the Apprentice then.

drdre wrote:
    thanks, its my friend thats looking for one, he wants to try and open a mobile coffee shop :)
    No, don't do it!!! Not another mobile coffee shop, and especially on the back of a Piaggio Ape.

There is far too many coffee shops in Ireland. Every convenience store has a barista at this stage. There is no money in it.

Check out this guy:
    http://www.coffeeangel.com

Ask yourself, after several years why does this ambitious young person still have only one unit?

ballooba wrote:
    No, don't do it!!! Not another mobile coffee shop, and especially on the back of a Piaggio Ape.

There is far too many coffee shops in Ireland. Every convenience store has a barista at this stage. There is no money in it.

Check out this guy:

Ask yourself, after several years why does this ambitious young person still have only one unit?

yeah ive told him that already.hes just looking into it.i dont think he will go ahead with it.well hope not :)

My father just got a piaggio ape this week.Will post up pics soon.The only problem is insurance at the moment.If anyone works high up in an insurance company like axa or aon please send me a pm.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ballooba wrote:
    Check out this guy:

im fairly sure theres about six of them vans parked around the corner from me...

subway wrote:
    im fairly sure theres about six of them vans parked around the corner from me...

Are you sure they are the same piaggio ape vans.If so then please send me a pm of what company is using them so i can sort out insurance thanks
    dawood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

deladus, are you sure its wiser to ask an anonymous forum re health & safety issues? Would the best advice be to ask your local health board as they are the ones you will have to answer to?

jawlie wrote:
    deladus, are you sure its wiser to ask an anonymous forum re health & safety issues? Would the best advice be to ask your local health board as they are the ones you will have to answer to?

No i wouldnt agree, boards is an amazing place to get support and help on issues.Alot of people help others and point you in the right direction.I think because you are new you havent experienced that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

Would kind of agree with Jawlie that you need to talk to an expert but yeah always good to get direction from the forum. Know someone good in the area of H&S, pm me if you want a name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

There's loads of money in coffee.

Profit is normally €1 per coffee sold.

A small cafe chain in Dublin is making about 10k profit per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

98% mark up on coffee plus some place will give you free coffee to the value of the machine plus dont have to pay for 2 months. Mad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 abbo

In Ireland you need a traders License to sell in a public car park or any where public belonging to the council

Deadalus wrote: »
    Hey I'm thinking of setting up a Juice/smoothie van with my partner and was wondering if anybody could give me advice on what kind of health and safety issues I would have to address and also would I need some sort or permit? Would I be allowed to sell at any reasonable place such as a car park beside a beach? I'm just wondering could anyone give me advice about what I would have to do to be able to get the business up and running?

Any help is greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

AARRRGH wrote: »
    There's loads of money in coffee.

Profit is normally €1 per coffee sold.

A small cafe chain in Dublin is making about 10k profit per week.

Be the lord!!!!! me thinks my local spar shop is making a fortune on my cooffee purchaes alone 4 cups every day:) the insomina stuff is the job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

itsonlyme wrote: »
    Be the lord!!!!! me thinks my local spar shop is making a fortune on my cooffee purchaes alone 4 cups every day:) the insomina stuff is the job:)

insomnia coffe is muck.

Amd they are making FAR more than €1 a cup.

I make about €1.82 a cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Hammertime wrote: »
    insomnia coffe is muck.

As a matter of interest, how much does this cup sell for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Hammertime wrote: »
    insomnia coffe is muck.

I agree it is muck. IMO there's two coffee places which are top noche - McCafe (some might not agree) and Coffee Angel. Everywhere else so so.

BTW I'll remember that the next time I buy a coffee (profit margin!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

I was hoping this thread had been resurrected so the OP could tell us how they got on.

Will pm them see what the craic is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 costa23

Hi everyone.I am interested to buy one of those franchises of coffee mobile van fully equiped. Can anyone help me with information where I could buy one or even rent in ireland or england.Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 costa23

Hi everyone. I am looking for a mobile van with coffee machine for sale or rent.Please send full detailes at constantine2375@yahoo.com. Thanks everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 lee_queenbee

I have just purchased one of these vans, can't seem to get insurance can anyone advise?? APE 50

Advertisement