Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSIA - Tax on interest

Options
  • 20-04-2007 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im just curious about the tax on the interest for the SSIA when it matures.

Has the tax on interest been taken at source or will I have to pay the revenue a chunk of my SSIA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You must pay DIRT on interest from the bank but not the 1 in 4 interest. It will look a few hundred but its over the 5 years, think its 23%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

i just got my SSIA today....i didnt even know u were meant to pay tax!! So will i be stung for this at a later date or has it already been taken out of my final payment??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

It should already be deducted by the bank.

Call them if you need to confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It would already be deducted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

Just to let you know-there is DIRT on the interest for the deposit based SSIA's as said before but also for anyone that has invested their SSIA in equities for the past 5 years there is a different tax applied--EXIT tax

The tax itself is 23% but it is ONLY applied to the GAINS on which the investment makes ie. You will NOT be taxed on what you paid in, you will NOT be taxed on what the government has contributed. However you WILL be taxed 23% on whatever the profit you make on investing these sums of money.

Luckily this should not be a cause for concern as the equity based SSIAs have by far outperformed the deposit based ones:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement